Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#292567 - 21/01/2007 01:33 Rio Riot Worth Anything
joe187
journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts
Hi - I know this may not be the right board, but I looked at the Rio Portable board and it looks like it is long dead.

I was going through some old boxes and came across a Rio Riot I bought a long while back. I believe it is a 20 Gb. I have the charger cable as well. Is this worth anything to anybody or should I just throw it in the PC recycle bin? Im not looking to make any money, just wondered if one of you guys was screwing around with them or if they have any intrinsic value. I would imagine the iPod ihas long done away with them.

Thanks

Joe

#292568 - 21/01/2007 06:23 Re: Rio Riot Worth Anything [Re: joe187]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
I still think it's worth something. It was a damm fine player, the interface is great, and I really liked the 2 handed feel when on long trips, it's a shame there wasn't some sort of tetris type game on it, they it would have been perfect. I love my Riot almost as much as my Karma (still going strog, never missed a beat).

I have collected a few Riots in attempts to keep mine going, I even have a development one from Hugo, although I'm not taking that part for spares!

If you are going to throw it away then I will cover the cost of postage to the UK, otherwise why not put it on eBay if it still works it's got to be worth something.

Cheers

Cris.

#292569 - 22/01/2007 00:39 Re: Rio Riot Worth Anything [Re: Cris]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I agree the Riot was far from as bad as people would say. They thing I remember not liking was however you had to load songs on it. It was before Rio Music Manager (which I really like now) if I remember correctly.

The Karma totally kicks it butt though

Matt

#292570 - 22/01/2007 07:37 Re: Rio Riot Worth Anything [Re: msaeger]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
I agree the Riot was far from as bad as people would say. They thing I remember not liking was however you had to load songs on it. It was before Rio Music Manager (which I really like now) if I remember correctly.

Yes, Riot was the last of the Rio Tigard products. I think that when, later, Rio Music Manager came along we did make it compatible with the Riot, though.

Peter

#292571 - 22/01/2007 11:27 Re: Rio Riot Worth Anything [Re: peter]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
I think that when, later, Rio Music Manager came along we did make it compatible with the Riot, though.

The Riot talks the same protocol as the Rio 600/800 series players, which were also Rio Tigard products. We made Rio Music Manager also talk that protocol.

#292572 - 22/01/2007 17:43 Re: Rio Riot Worth Anything [Re: Roger]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Doesn't it show up in iTunes? I remember when iTunes was first making the rounds, we loaded Kelly's with it. I still have hers in a box in my closet... the battery doesn't hold a charge for crap, but it still works fine.

#292573 - 22/01/2007 18:18 Re: Rio Riot Worth Anything [Re: loren]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
Doesn't it show up in iTunes?

Now you mention it, we certainly did have some kind of support on the Mac. Dunno if it still works in the latest version of iTunes, though.

#292574 - 22/01/2007 21:57 Re: Rio Riot Worth Anything [Re: Roger]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
To answer my question... it works. I just plugged it in and it popped up under "Devices" in iTunes on my Mac. I remember initially doing it on a PC as well... so I'd assume it'll work there too. Looks like the database that was on there got killed somehow though... uppp... no it's back. I think the drive is dying though...

It's not showing the data that's on the Riot, and when I try and copy something over it says it contains an unformatted media module and asks if I want to format it. Might just be the drive dying though, it's clicking an awful lot.

Edited by loren (22/01/2007 22:13)