Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#301453 - 13/08/2007 08:06 Parametric EQ
Mark Kaye
new poster

Hello folks,

How do the features of this:

http://mobileaudiocontrol.com/product.asp?Product_Id=14147

compare with the onboard parametric EQ on the empeg? Reason I ask is because I am just about to embark on a new install and will need some decent EQ. I need to decide whether it's worth getting the Audio Control unit or just using the empeg for its awesome EQ. Does this sound crazy?

#301454 - 13/08/2007 12:04 Re: Parametric EQ [Re: Mark Kaye]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
(Note that it's a long time since I looked at the empeg's EQ. John and John configured mine, and they might want to shoot me down here)

Looks like it only supports two parametric EQ bands per channel; the others are standard "graphical EQ" (i.e. not parametric). The empeg supports 20 band parametric EQ, split across 2 or 4 channels, meaning 5 or 10 bands per channel.

The empeg EQ is adjustable on the fly, and has multiple memory settings, whereas this only has 8 memory settings.

It's 24-bit, but so is the Phillips DSP used in the empeg.

In short, unless someone else can think of a compelling reason to get one of these, I'd stick with the empeg if I were you.

#301455 - 13/08/2007 18:25 Re: Parametric EQ [Re: Roger]
Mark Kaye
new poster

OK cool, that's what I thought! It's going to sound a little sad that I'm demoting my empeg to just EQ duties... It's a long time since it was installed (5yrs now) so I can't remember, but will I be able to trunk mount the empeg and have it turn on with ignition and go right to AUX in by default without me doing anything?

Basically, the idea is to use a different HU up front and route the pre-outs through the empeg AUX-In to apply EQ before onward distribution through outboard active crossovers and then amps. Will it work and what advice/tips can you give me on using the empeg in this way?

Ohh, and primarily (I guess) what issues will I have with using the AUXd HU's volume controls and not the empeg's (since my arms aren't long enough to reach the trunk )

Edited by Mark Kaye (13/08/2007 18:37)