Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#305415 - 25/12/2007 02:26 All I want for Christmas
Gazz
journeyman

Loc: Alice Springs - Australia
So I get an Ipod Classic 160GB for Chrismas
OK, that's cool, that's got twice my empeg capacity but

All I want for Christmas is for my Ipod to look like my Empeg

itunes,,, um,,, sucks

My first thoughts is on the ipod it seems there is no way to have playlist heirarchy, and nothing like wendyfilters, the ipod buttons are similar in the way they work I like that, but the software is no way as cool, refined and simple as the empeg,

I was taking a look at Lipod Linux, and it seems I can get linux on my Ipod,

you guy's should release a version of the Empeg Software to replace the ipod software, and sell it as a commercial package

I'd pay for that - EmPod

with linux on the ipod and the ipod doing all the brains could you could have a head unit which looks like an empeg, where the front flips open and you plug your ipod inside, shut the front and it runs the empeg software from the ipod and emulates a empeg to the front displays and buttons by remote controlling the ipod inside.

I cant find any ipod head units where you can plug it inside and it transforms into a car player

Edited by Gazz (25/12/2007 03:20)

#305418 - 25/12/2007 05:14 Re: All I want for Christmas [Re: Gazz]
music
addict

The iPod connector seems to have become the standard interface.
However, the iPod form factor continually changes, so it's kind of hard to make an "iPod-shaped hole" to insert it into.

That being said, does anyone know if there are any current car stereos where you can just plug in USB, say for instance, a USB thumb drive with your music arranged in folders?

That would be cool.

But I'm sure it would give the RIAA fits, since it would give you control over the music you paid for. And they don't seem to like people being able to do what they want with their own stuff.

#305425 - 25/12/2007 14:40 Re: All I want for Christmas [Re: music]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
 Quote:
the iPod form factor continually changes, so it's kind of hard to make an "iPod-shaped hole"

They could take a tip from those 10-in-1 memory card readers. Somehow, with only two slots, they can fit all the different types of memory card. What I'm getting at is adapters, like microSD inside SD. Build "the hole" for the largest possible (iPod Classic?) and build in adapters for all the others. I can picture a built in solution, with retractable sections depending on the size, but it's hard to describe.

Quote:
current car stereos where you can just plug in USB,

There are tons, unless I'm misreading this. Check out Crutchfield and you'll see everyone offers this now.

#305430 - 25/12/2007 16:35 Re: All I want for Christmas [Re: FireFox31]
music
addict

Originally Posted By: FireFox31
 Quote:
current car stereos where you can just plug in USB,

There are tons, unless I'm misreading this. Check out Crutchfield and you'll see everyone offers this now.

Quite right.
That will teach me to (a) pay attention to what's been going on in the world, and (b) spend 3 seconds searching before I post.

#305431 - 25/12/2007 16:37 Re: All I want for Christmas [Re: Gazz]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
So I get an Ipod Classic 160GB for Chrismas

Me Too

OK, that's cool, that's got twice my empeg capacity but

All I want for Christmas is for my Ipod to look like my Empeg

itunes,,, um,,, sucks

I use Winamp, I couldn't get on with iTunes

My first thoughts is on the ipod it seems there is no way to have playlist heirarchy, and nothing like wendyfilters, the ipod buttons are similar in the way they work I like that, but the software is no way as cool, refined and simple as the empeg,

I was more comparing it with the Karma, and finding it lackingin the UI

I was taking a look at Lipod Linux, and it seems I can get linux on my Ipod,

you guy's should release a version of the Empeg Software to replace the ipod software, and sell it as a commercial package

I'd pay for that - EmPod

with linux on the ipod and the ipod doing all the brains could you could have a head unit which looks like an empeg, where the front flips open and you plug your ipod inside, shut the front and it runs the empeg software from the ipod and emulates a empeg to the front displays and buttons by remote controlling the ipod inside.

I cant find any ipod head units where you can plug it inside and it transforms into a car player

Check out the new Parrot Car Radio, all that and bluetooth too: Scheduled for Jan 9

#305435 - 25/12/2007 17:26 Re: All I want for Christmas [Re: Gazz]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
I got a Bamboo dig pad. Been playing with it for the last hour. Seems to be solidly built and functional.

For mousing the pad is an absolute pointing device. So trying to stroke the pen the same way you might a mouse just doesn't work.

Also the pen is active for mousing whenever the pen is within 3mm of the tablet. Actually touching the table tends to make stuff happen. Gotta get used to that too.

All in all a much better product that Wacom's last gen stuff.

#305445 - 26/12/2007 16:12 Re: All I want for Christmas [Re: FireFox31]
tman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: FireFox31
They could take a tip from those 10-in-1 memory card readers. Somehow, with only two slots, they can fit all the different types of memory card. What I'm getting at is adapters, like microSD inside SD. Build "the hole" for the largest possible (iPod Classic?) and build in adapters for all the others. I can picture a built in solution, with retractable sections depending on the size, but it's hard to describe.

A bunch of plastic inserts would work much better. Apple do this already for their universal dock.

#305446 - 26/12/2007 16:19 Re: All I want for Christmas [Re: tman]
boxer
pooh-bah

Quote:
A bunch of plastic inserts

That is what you get supplied with (As far as I know) any ipod, then, if you get the universal dock, you just slot the right one for your ipod in. It could do the same in a car player, but you would have to overcome it vibrating loose.

#305447 - 26/12/2007 18:02 Re: All I want for Christmas [Re: boxer]
music
addict

Is that weird piece of plastic that came with my (Gen 1) Nano supposed to be this so-called "universal dock" ?

#305448 - 26/12/2007 18:52 Re: All I want for Christmas [Re: music]
Gazz
journeyman

Loc: Alice Springs - Australia
Yes it is the Universal thing, But first thing I went out boxing day to buy was a nice polyurethane snap on shell, to protect my extrodinarily shiny new ipod, which was lucky because the second thing I managed to do was scratch it, the shell that is, the third thing I want to get is a Dock but now I put a Shell on it It wont fit any Docks, universal or not, Damm this imperfect world.

#305449 - 26/12/2007 19:50 Re: All I want for Christmas [Re: Gazz]
music
addict

I might be one of the few people who uses their iPhone without a shell.
I foolishly bought a polyurethane shell, tried it for a few hours, then decided I really don't like the bulk and I like the native sleekness of the original shape.
The glass and back are fairly scratch resistant, though the chrome bezel is now thoroughly covered with fine scratches.

C'est la vie.

#305450 - 26/12/2007 20:09 Re: All I want for Christmas [Re: music]
boxer
pooh-bah

You can get a dock adaptor for the zCover shell, so that you can use the dock with your iPod in the shell - you can see it on the zCover US website, but I've been unable to source one in the UK.

#305455 - 26/12/2007 22:43 Re: All I want for Christmas [Re: Gazz]
bbowman
enthusiast

Loc: Virginia, USA
I'm quite pleased with Rock Box. It is a nice little project. It's not quite the empeg (by a long shot), but it gives you a lot more freedom on your iPod.
Still looking for a good way to install in a 2010 BMW 3 series with iDrive/NAV

#305479 - 27/12/2007 16:30 Re: All I want for Christmas [Re: music]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Mike- if you want to keep the same dimensions but have a level of scratch resistance, there are a couple products you should know about.
I've ordered an invisibleSHIELD for my new phone's face.
I'll get it in a few days and let you know how I get on with it.

#305480 - 27/12/2007 16:46 Re: All I want for Christmas [Re: Robotic]
tman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Robotic
I've ordered an invisibleSHIELD for my new phone's face.

I keep seeing "Made from a unique material originally created for the military to protect the leading edges of helicopter blades" everywhere and how each manufacturer of screen protectors is unique and proprietary. It turns out that its all just cut up pieces of 3M Paint Protection film...

#305484 - 27/12/2007 17:40 Re: All I want for Christmas [Re: tman]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Originally Posted By: tman
It turns out that its all just cut up pieces of 3M Paint Protection film...

Hmm- I hadn't thought much about how 'proprietary' an adhesive-backed plastic sheet could be. The main draw for me (and perhaps what they should be touting) is their precision die-cut shapes.
Even if the shapes are cut using a plotter, there's considerable time invested in getting the shape correct for wrap-around.

#305493 - 27/12/2007 21:05 Re: All I want for Christmas [Re: Robotic]
tman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Robotic
It turns out that its all just cut up pieces of 3M Paint Protection film...

Hmm- I hadn't thought much about how 'proprietary' an adhesive-backed plastic sheet could be. The main draw for me (and perhaps what they should be touting) is their precision die-cut shapes.
Even if the shapes are cut using a plotter, there's considerable time invested in getting the shape correct for wrap-around.

Yeah. You're paying for the precision cut shape. I just find it funny that everybody claims that their plastic is super special proprietary thats all \:\)

#305531 - 28/12/2007 18:30 Re: All I want for Christmas [Re: tman]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Yeah. You're paying for the precision cut shape. I just find it funny that everybody claims that their plastic is super special proprietary thats all \:\)

Nobody ever said marketing should be reasonable. \:D