Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#309042 - 10/04/2008 20:45 Player software UI question
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Can someone explain to me in words of one syllable or less what the difference is between "Insert" and "Enqueue" when I go to place a song within a currently running playlist? They both seem to do exactly the same thing.

Someone (Tony?) once told me that Insert puts the new song immediately after the song currently playing, and then Enqueue places subsequent additions after the addition[s] that were placed previously.

In my experience, whichever method I use just places the newest addition immediately after the current song.

tanstaafl.

#309045 - 11/04/2008 00:19 Re: Player software UI question [Re: tanstaafl.]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Hmm. They should behave as Tony described - ie, multiple enqueues will be added sequentially to the list.

Hugo

#309058 - 11/04/2008 20:26 Re: Player software UI question [Re: tanstaafl.]
TigerJimmy
old hand

The difference is only apparent with subsequent additions to the playlist. When Inserting or Enqueueing a single track, they behave identically. When Inserting the second track, it goes before the first inserted track. When Enqueueing the second track, it goes after the first enqueued track.

The difference is FIFO (First in First Out) vs. LIFO (Last in First Out) if you follow me. Insert is LIFO, Enqueue is FIFO. When adding only a single track, first and last is the same, so they are identical.

Note that when the currently playing track changes, the queue of inserts and/or enqueues starts over.

#309059 - 11/04/2008 23:32 Re: Player software UI question [Re: TigerJimmy]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: TigerJimmy
The difference is only apparent with subsequent additions to the playlist. When Inserting or Enqueueing a single track, they behave identically. When Inserting the second track, it goes before the first inserted track. When Enqueueing the second track, it goes after the first enqueued track.

The difference is FIFO (First in First Out) vs. LIFO (Last in First Out) if you follow me. Insert is LIFO, Enqueue is FIFO. When adding only a single track, first and last is the same, so they are identical.

Note that when the currently playing track changes, the queue of inserts and/or enqueues starts over.

That much I understood. For some reason, I thought that I had to insert the first of a series of tracks, then enqueue the subsequent tracks. This caused the enqueued tracks to place ahead of the inserted track, so instead of ending up with a sequence of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 I ended up with a sequence of 2, 3, 4, 5, 1.

Obviously I need to arrange my thinking so that by default I always use enqueue, and only use insert when I absolutely want that track to be the next to play.

tanstaafl.

#309062 - 12/04/2008 05:24 Re: Player software UI question [Re: tanstaafl.]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
(by doing insert 1, then enqueue 2,3,4,5...) instead of ending up with a sequence of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 I ended up with a sequence of 2, 3, 4, 5, 1.

Yep. That's the expected behaviour.

#309079 - 13/04/2008 20:04 Re: Player software UI question [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Can someone explain to me in words of one syllable or less what the difference is between "Insert" and "Enqueue" when I go to place a song within a currently running playlist?

That's part of the FAQ entries on the enqueue/insert features, by the way.