Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#2541 - 23/04/2000 05:39 empeg software & support
Scott
stranger

Loc: Connecticut, USA
With the new Mark II's coming out will there still be support for us Mark I owners? Will there be a final non-beta software release or will the Mark II software work on the Mark I units?

Just got a 00342 and it works great! Only problem so far was a sync error while trying to transfer about 60 songs last night...aarrgghh.

Scott

#2542 - 23/04/2000 06:58 Re: empeg software & support [Re: Scott]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
We've stated several times on here and in the newsletters that the Mark 1 remains fully supported. The source tree is common for both revisions, as the Mark 2 really isn't much different in terms of architecture.

Of course there will be Mark 2 specific features, such as voice recognition, which will not work on the Mark 1. Any new feature that is compatible with the Mark 1 hardware, such as WMA, will be available to everyone.

Regarding your sync problem, are you running version 10A of the software? Synchronisation is extremely reliable in this latest release.

Rob

#2543 - 23/04/2000 09:14 Re: empeg software & support [Re: Scott]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
With the new Mark II's coming out will there still be support for us Mark I owners? Will there be a final non-beta software release or will the Mark II software work on the Mark I units?

You'll soon come to learn that support is really good from this company. You have nothing to worry about. Any of the Mark1 owners can testify to this. Although the software will eventually reach a stage where the word "beta" is no longer in the release number, don't expect the software upgrades to stop. The Mark1 and Mark2 software is built from the same codebase (with #defines to differentiate the two feature sets) and compiled at the same time. So, theoretically, every time the Mark2's get a software upgrade, the Mark1's will get the same upgrade.

Only problem so far was a sync error while trying to transfer about 60 songs last night...aarrgghh.

The next time you get a synch error, please try to write down the exact text of the error box and send it to [email protected] as well as posting it to the "Bug reports" thread of this BBS. That way, Empeg can have the details for diagnosing the problem, and the rest of us can pitch in if necessary. Everyone is concerned about making the Synch process 100% stable before the Mark2's ship, and every little bit helps.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144