Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#2723 - 04/05/2000 11:35 Sorting in Emplode
TommyE
enthusiast

Loc: NORWAY
Hello.

Is there a way I can sort my playlists in Emplode, so that when I go to
my Empeg and select menu-playlist I get it the way I want it, and not
alphabetically???

TommyE

#2724 - 04/05/2000 12:04 Re: Sorting in Emplode [Re: TommyE]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
In Emplode, select the root of the Empeg, then in the right-hand pane, click on the column heading "position" to get it to sort by position, then drag the playlists up and down in the list.

Of course, that only works in Emplode. The Empeg player conveniently ignores this order when it displays the playlists on the menu.

There's a reason for it -- it's actually a design feature rather than a bug. You're supposed to be able to press a letter on the remote and have it scroll to the playlists starting with that letter. I don't know how the UI would work if they weren't alphabetical. Until that inherent contradiction is solved (any suggestions?), I've found a work-around, and I've seen variations of it on this BBS:

If you have a playlist that you want to show up at the beginning of the list, surround it with hyphens and spaces so that it comes up first alphabetically. Alter the number of spaces after the first hyphen to get certain items to come up sooner than others. I use this trick on non-IE4-versions of 95 and NT to put things at the top of the start menus as well.

For example, most of my playlists are by Artist, so I want them alphabetically. But I have a few "extra" playlists that I want to show up at the beginning of the playlists menu, so I add the hyphens and spaces. It comes out like this:

- Low Key -
- Tony's Favorites -
- Demo -
- Filks -
- LAN Party -
- Test Audio -
- Test Frequencies -
Aimee Mann
Blues Traveler
Depeche Mode
(etc...)

This work-around is nice because it allows you to still use the remote keypad to scroll directly to a letter, but puts the direct-select "special" playlists at the beginning of the menu.

Another way to do it would be to number the root playlists in the name, like so...

1. Low Key
2. Tony's Favorites
(etc...)

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#2725 - 04/05/2000 12:07 Re: Sorting in Emplode [Re: tfabris]
TommyE
enthusiast

Loc: NORWAY
Thanks for prompt answer, I'll give it a try.

TommyE