Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#10965 - 06/07/2000 10:58 Q: Can a Mk II be wired like a Mk I?
tadzio
journeyman

Loc: Munich. Germany
I'm going to replace my Mk I in my Citroen with the Mk II I'll (hopefully) receive tomorrow. The way it's wired now is that there's no permanent power feed to the Mk I, but rather a line that has 12V only in the "ignition" (or, in my car's case, its Diesel equivalent...:-) position. Now, does the Mk II have to have a permanent power feed, or can it work with the setup I have? What I'm afraid of is that it might be possible that it needs longer to store its state than the Mk I, so that when the power goes away it might not be able to save its state before the power is completely gone. Or, as it has a separate permanent 12V input, maybe the circuitry to store its state using the last few electrons from the fading power was removed from the Mk II...
So, do I have to have a permanent power feed?

#10966 - 06/07/2000 11:53 Re: Q: Can a Mk II be wired like a Mk I? [Re: tadzio]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
It'll work (connect the accessory & main feeds on the empeg together and wire them to the power feed you have) but if you do this you may well still get the speaker thump on power down as with the mk1. It will remember where it was, it has the same powerfail circuitry as the mk1.

However, a permanent feed would be good. On the old Citroen AX I had, the cigarette lighter was a good place to get a permanent 12v feed.

Hugo