Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#11656 - 21/07/2000 18:17 Emplode Technology Preview
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Here I am, hundreds of miles away from a machine with which I can try out the new Emplode. Does anyone want to fill me in on what the "technology preview" contains?

There is a mention of a "Discovery Dialog". What is this? Does it have anything to do with performing searches on the Empeg's database?

Also, I was just peeking at the 12a release notes: Hey, Mike, good call on adding "New Playlist" to the context menu. I inevitably try the context menu first for that function, and then remember it's not there. Now it will be (once I get back home).

Gotta tell ya, though... Rjlov's volume adjustment kernel is doing really well on these long trips I'm taking. I'm quite happy with it and I'm really hoping you Empeg guys get a chance to take a look at it. I'm going to love having a 12b version when Rjlov gets around to it, so I can get my custom logo back in there- have my cake and eat it, too, so to speak.

Why does all the good stuff always happen when you're off on vacation?

#11657 - 22/07/2000 01:54 Re: Emplode Technology Preview [Re: tfabris]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
The 'Discovery Dialog" is basically box that lets you find available empegs which are connected. If you hook up serial, USB & presumably Ethernet (i don't have it hooked up yet), you can select which one you want to use. Eventually this would enable several empegs (we wish!!) to be hooked up to one computer or network and you select which one you want to see.

Other than that, I don't see too many differences.
Little help please?

Just think tho, Your empeg visible thru ethernet connections over the internet. If it were possible, Empeg could do trouble shooting over the net!!!

Murray 06000047

#11658 - 22/07/2000 07:13 Re: Emplode Technology Preview [Re: muzza]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
Other than that, I don't see too many differences.
Little help please?

From what I see, there are more configuration options. Unless I missed it in the "old" emplode, you can now toggle such options like the Hard Drive icon without having to mess around with .INI files. (.INI files on linux? ackkckKCkckkK!)

There is also a checkbox for shutting down the empeg after synchronization completes. I guess this is for people who are going to dump like 2 gigs of MP3's on the empeg and want to go to bed, but don't want to have to worry about screen burn.

Other than that, I haven't seen much difference.

(O|||||O)

#11659 - 22/07/2000 20:28 Re: Emplode Technology Preview [Re: ClemsonJeep]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Yeah there are better check boxes and stuff but I don't think that is 'technology', unless you're still in the seventies.

the major improvement is the search function on emplode start. now with little icons!

It will be nice when there is a 'full size' set of prefs and setups on emplode.

Murray 06000047

#11660 - 23/07/2000 04:05 Re: Emplode Technology Preview [Re: muzza]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
It's a technology preview as the unit location code has been totally redone by Roger - and some testing was needed beyond what we could do in-house.

A lot of work is going into emplode at the moment :)

Hugo

#11661 - 23/07/2000 06:11 Re: Emplode Technology Preview [Re: altman]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
code has been totally redone by Roger

Well, from the previous reactions you may conclude that it all seems to work. The reactions would probably have been showing a lot more more exciting if it had not worked right .

I've not used it for uploading or tag maintenance a lot yet. Will do so and let you know the experience. Some initial comments:

- the new emplode doesn't find my player on ethernet, while the old emplode quite happily connects.
- if the new emplode finds only one emma connected, you can't just press OK but you need to first explicitly select this single entry. If there's only one empeg player found, it would be nice if OK (or enter) would select it by default.
- the new emplode seems to insist on a disk check on every connect. It also wants to do a sync if nothing was changed.

A lot of work is going into emplode at the moment
Great! I'll wait and see how high Roger will be scoring on my wishlist.

Henno
mk2 nr 6

#11662 - 23/07/2000 09:44 Re: Emplode Technology Preview [Re: altman]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
In reply to:

It's a technology preview as the unit location code has been totally redone by Roger

...Is Roger new?
-mark

...proud to have owned one of the first Mark I units

#11663 - 23/07/2000 14:01 Re: Emplode Technology Preview [Re: dionysus]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
> Is Roger new?

Nah, he's barely a novelty at all anymore. Peter is our new one, but he's going to hand that title to Toby in a few weeks.

Rob

#11664 - 23/07/2000 22:49 Re: Emplode Technology Preview [Re: rob]
corby
journeyman

Woo-hoo! Full-time visualization designer! I love it!

Corby
MK I, SN#320, 6-Gig Blue

#11665 - 24/07/2000 03:42 Re: Emplode Technology Preview [Re: Henno]
Big John

Loc: Hants, UK.
Hi,

- the new emplode seems to insist on a disk check on every connect. It also wants to do a sync if nothing was changed.

I noticed this, since I've been playing more with the MK2, it seems to be disk checking and re-building more than ever, even if you do a synch. with no changes made!! I thought the addition of the RTC was meant to cut that operation stage down?

P.S Only 2G leaft on the 36G MK2, bigger drives please...

Regards,

[color:yellow]_________________________________________John, (MK1 #114-20G, MK2 #15-36G).</font color=yellow>

#11666 - 24/07/2000 05:35 Re: Emplode Technology Preview [Re: Henno]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
the new emplode doesn't find my player on ethernet, while the old emplode quite happily connects

This could be a problem if your unit isn't on the same subnet as the machine running emplode. Is this the case?

If there's only one empeg player found, it would be nice if OK (or enter) would select it by default.

Fixed. Should appear in the next release of the preview, assuming we've not rolled it all together by then.

#11667 - 24/07/2000 05:47 Re: Emplode Technology Preview [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Hey, Mike, good call on adding "New Playlist" to the context menu.

*cough*

#11668 - 24/07/2000 11:42 Re: Emplode Technology Preview [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Sorry, Roger. Didn't realize you were working on it. Should've piped up on the BBS sooner.

Good call on the context menu additions, Roger. Oh, and nice to meet you.

#11669 - 24/07/2000 14:38 Re: Emplode Technology Preview [Re: Big John]
FriendlyDogSalad
new poster

Loc: Denver, Colorado USA
I thought there wasn't going to be a RTC on the mark II. this is great, now i won't have to worry about being late anymore.

---Proud owner of empeg registration number 14309 (ugh!)---