Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#14386 - 17/08/2000 16:41 bbs "Search" function
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
It has taken me a year to figure out one small trick for the bbs "Search" function, so I pass it on in the hope that there may be a few people out there just as dense as I am who haven't figured this out already.

The default forum when you call up Search is the forum you are currently in (i.e., Announcements, or General, or FAQ, etc.). If you are out to the Main Index, the default is to search all forums, which is probably the most commonly used search pattern.

Not an earth-shattering discovery, I know, but maybe it will be useful to a few of us.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#14387 - 17/08/2000 17:01 Re: bbs "Search" function [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Actually, until I pestered PaulH about it a few days ago, the other options in the "search" page defaulted illogically as well. Instead of searching for "And" terms, it searched on "Exact Phrase". And instead of searching all posts, it only searched the most recent posts. That's now been fixed.

My argument is that even the topmost box should always default to "All Forums", because that's the most common type of search one would do even when buried in a thread. But it's a matter of personal choice, and right now it defaults to the current forum. I don't know if it's even possible to change the BBS code to offer it any other way, and it kind of makes sense the way it is now.

#14388 - 17/08/2000 17:54 Re: bbs "Search" function [Re: tfabris]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

Loc: Sayreville, New Jersey USA
I used the search function for the first time today (looking for information on US customs...) and noticed that after my first search turned up nothing major. It's definitely a great feature and seems to work well... if you read the settings.

George

#14389 - 17/08/2000 18:07 Re: bbs "Search" function [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
and noticed that after my first search turned up nothing major. It's definitely a great feature and seems to work well... if you read the settings.

This is exactly what I was afraid of. Users searching for stuff and being unable to find it because the search screen doesn't default to the "broad" settings. Paul did a great job and fixed the other settings on the page, I'm wondering if he could change the top option as well?

In case he can, I'm going to gather some data to back up the request...

How do you feel about the search screen?
I like the way it is now, with the default being the current forum.
I wish it would default to "All Forums" in all cases.
What search screen?