Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#17179 - 08/09/2000 16:42 Miata install pix.
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Hi all,

Here are 2 shots of my 95 Miata install. Still have work to do - I'm not happy with it yet.

http://members.xoom.com/jonbauer/empeg1.jpg
http://members.xoom.com/jonbauer/empeg2.jpg

My Miata's stereo consists of:

empeg Mark II 34 gig player
JL Audio Stealthbox (subwoofer)
Sony ES XK-R100 pre-amp head unit
Sony CDX-U404 10 disc changer
Alpine MRV-T503 amp (driving sub-woofer)
Alpine MRV-F400 amp (driving 2 front seperate speakers)
MB Quartz Mobil RSB-Line 218 seperates
MAX 5 headrest speakers

Love to hear your thoughts!

- Jon

#17180 - 08/09/2000 16:56 Re: Miata install pix. [Re: jbauer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Neat pix. Since you've got a tape, a changer, and the empeg, you basically have all the music you can stand now, huh?

Since you're still using separate amps, which way did you end up wiring it? Empeg first in the chain or last in the chain?

Also- I noticed something that I've seen in some other install pix:

Was there any way to avoid that gap being visible in your installation? On my Honda, I had to cut a piece of black plastic to go around the front of the sleeve to cover it up.

I'm wondering how common this is.

Attachments
1-16312-empeg3.jpg (92 downloads)

#17181 - 08/09/2000 17:02 Re: Miata install pix. [Re: tfabris]
jbauer
veteran

Too much music is never enough...

The changer/tape player is wired into the aux ports on the empeg. The bummer about this set-up is as follows: I live in SF, which is not a good place to leave your stereo in your car when you run errands. Problem is that if I don't have the empeg with me, I can't listen to the other player either. Real bummer...

The Miata has a space that is more than the size of 2 DIN stereo's, so I had to hot-glue a strip of plastic in between the two players. The problem is that the strip isn't big enough and doesn't push the empeg to the top of the stereo hole. I need to cut a bigger strip and replace the existing one.

That's why I'm not happy with the installation yet. Also, the Sony had it's own special sled that the stereo shop destroyed when they took it out of another car. So I'm using an aftermarket, non-Sony sled presently. The Sony doesn't snap into the sled now. I ordered a new Sony sled, but dunno how long it's gonna take them to deliver it...

- Jon

#17182 - 08/09/2000 17:10 Re: Miata install pix. [Re: jbauer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

The Miata has a space that is more than the size of 2 DIN stereo's, so I had to hot-glue a strip of plastic in between the two players. (...) So I'm using an aftermarket, non-Sony sled presently.

Or maybe there's some kind of an aftermarket dual-DIN mounting kit you can buy for a Miata? That might take care of both problems at the same time.

#17183 - 08/09/2000 17:51 Re: Miata install pix. [Re: tfabris]
jbauer
veteran

Hm. Where do you think I might get something like that? Don't think it's a Crutchfield kind of item...

- Jon

#17184 - 09/09/2000 08:40 Re: Miata install pix. [Re: tfabris]
dionysus
veteran

In reply to:

Was there any way to avoid that gap being visible in your installation? On my Honda, I had to cut a piece of black plastic to go around the front of the sleeve to cover it up.

I had the same problem in my honda accord; ended up running a black magic marker along the edge of the metal - you can't really notice it anymore..
-mark

MK2: 36gb
Tivo: 90gb
CPU: 120gb
...I think drive manufacturers love me!

#17185 - 09/09/2000 10:01 Re: Miata install pix. [Re: jbauer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Where do you think I might get something like that? Don't think it's a Crutchfield kind of item...

Actually, aftermarket mounting kits are Crutchfield's specialty.

#17186 - 09/09/2000 10:10 Re: Miata install pix. [Re: dionysus]
PeterH
new poster

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
Hmm I did the same on the top of my empeg. It made a world of difference.

PeterH
" 'tis better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

#17187 - 09/09/2000 20:14 Re: Miata install pix. [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I had to cut a piece of black plastic to go around the front of the sleeve to cover it up.

I ended up using a trim piece left from my old Sony CD player. I also bought some craft type paints and mixed them up trial and error until I could exactly match the color of the plastic in my dash, and painted the end of the empeg cage and the Sony trim piece to make a pretty clean (at least color coordinated) installation.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"