Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#13859 - 13/08/2000 21:20 S2000 Installation / Hardware choices?
ChrisD
stranger

Loc: NYC and McLean, VA
Hey all, first post.. I just found this board and I'm bursting with questions. I've been poking around but there's quite a bit of material here so I'll try to meter my questions so as to not flood all of you with redundant drivel. :)

Anyway, I was looking through the S2K thread by ksteele, but I think this sorta warranted it's own thread. Does anyone have suggestions for hardware? For anyone who doesn't know, the S2K is a convertable with sorta crappy stock speakers, so I'm going to just replace everything. Unfortunately, I don't really know what to get, who to get to install it, etc. The S2K is sort of.. cramped.

#13860 - 14/08/2000 06:18 Re: S2000 Installation / Hardware choices? [Re: ChrisD]
mrgray
new poster

Loc: Cambridge
You might want to look on the "ICE" or "Installation Notes" forum on this BBS. For my S2000 install I just stuck with the factory fit speakers but I'm not really a audiophile.

.Peter

#13861 - 14/08/2000 06:19 Re: S2000 Installation / Hardware choices? [Re: mrgray]
ChrisD
stranger

Yeah.. My speakers are already sort of dying from driving with the top down (full volume radio) for extended periods of time. I'm figuring on a full overhaul (amp/speakers/head unit/subwoofer).

#13862 - 14/08/2000 10:42 Re: S2000 Installation / Hardware choices? [Re: ChrisD]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Here's an idea. Go to www.edmunds.com and visit the TownTalk boards. They have an awful BB format which they think is really good but that's besides the point. I'm sure there are forums that discuss the S2000. I have a Honda Odyssey (Honda makes great cars), and there is a thread over there specifically about the stereo and how to install new speakers and which to choose. They get right down to what size screwdriver to take off the grills

Anyway, looks around there for some info. This seems to be indicitive of Honda's, by the way. For some reason they make these great cars, then put crap in for speakers (and, in my case, a head unit that heats up my CD's). I've also read that in my case, the sound will be improved greatly with just an amp, and a subwoofer will make it even better. That's why I'm not buying new speakers (I don't have enough money, but I will in the future).

Good Luck!

DiGNAN

#13863 - 14/08/2000 10:50 Re: S2000 Installation / Hardware choices? [Re: Dignan]
ChrisD
stranger

I'll take a peek. This weekend I tried to take off the dash so I could get a peek at what's involved in this install, but the cabin is so frigging cramped I couldn't do it. The S2000 also has dash controls near my left hand in front of the steering wheel for the radio. I'm wondering what kind of wacky wiring they've got going on in there. Also, I'm wondering where the heck I'm going to put the amp.. Trunk space is already at a premium.

#13864 - 14/08/2000 16:47 Re: S2000 Installation / Hardware choices? [Re: ChrisD]
ksteele
new poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Slimline amp, under the passenger seat. Done right, can still move the seat back and forth. You won't get a huge amp to fit, but get a good qual one, you will be ok. It saves a lot of wiring into the boot etc.

Go for Sony (or other) 2-way 15's or 16's in the doors, replacing the factory's with floating directional tweeters, pointed up at you. That is really the only way without messing with the trim.

Mine is setup like this, pending the empeg, and sounds fantastic. It is hard to beleive the increase in volume and quality, just with a little baby amp and good speakers, still with a crap head unit.

When I get my empeg (ordered)I will be looking into either interfacing with the factory "by-hand' controls (could be tricky, and will likely require the ETM wiring guide (not available in OZ) - or sounds like a better option - Is leaving most there, but replacing the main "button" mode control (cd,fm, tape etc) with a sony control stick. Someone has already written an empeg interface for it, and I figure it is going to fit perfectly into that hole. There is a link on the main site to that project....

I reckon you can do the amp under the seat, the two-way directionals in the door, the empeg in the din, the sony control stick, all without messing with the trim at all, and end up with something very good!

I think the control stick is a must. I've gotten very used to "by-hand" controls, and even when the voice software comes out, dealing with convertibles is likely a no go... (maybe if we end up with bluetooth wireless earclip boom mikes or something....) maybe....
I won't be putting my eggs in that basket, going the control stick.... Still want the service manual, so I can pull the dash apart nicely... Convertibles are always tricky...

#13865 - 15/08/2000 01:39 Re: S2000 Installation / Hardware choices? [Re: ksteele]
mrgray
new poster

Loc: Cambridge
One of these days I'll knock up a little PIC controller to translate from the Empeg dash controls
(serial, probably SPI or similar) to the Empeg Uart input. I don't fancy ripping my dash apart to
fit this Sony stick thing.

As for the amp, as I say in the other S2000 thread, I'm convinced there is space for an amp
near the hood motor next to the spare. Wiring is no big deal, there is a panel behind the passenger
seat with a specially made pop out corner for the CD autochanger wireing. I've got the
instructions for this if you want me to scan them and email them to you...

.Peter

#13866 - 15/08/2000 22:38 Re: S2000 Installation / Hardware choices? [Re: mrgray]
JoMo25
stranger

I have an S2K and should be ordering my MkII soon (fingers crossed). I plan to do without the controls on the left. If someone knows how to get them to work great. But I'm not really counting on it.

I have upgraded the speakers and added an amp. Nothing too fancy, but IO like the csound MUCH better than the factory system and the volume is decent all the way up to 95 MPH top down.

Speakers: Eclipse 8963 6.5" Point Source speakers in stock locations. Some very minor mod req'd to get them to fit in the factory locations. Much fuller sound. Decent bass, good highs, good mid-range - considering its only 2 6.5s.

Amp: PrecisionPower 2100 2 channel 100W amp. It's small. Installed in trunk on side ledge right of the recessed well. Fits nicely. Doesn't get too hot. Puts out good clean power. BTW it didn't fit under the seats.

I know this config isn't the audiophiles dream, but hey, it's a convertible! (And the engine screams enough - if you are looking for a quiet cabin, you bought the wrong car!) MUCH better than the stock system...

Now just need the Empeg in Amber! I'm considering Red too. Fortunately, my truck would work well with the Red, so I planned to buy it anyways and will assess how it looks in the S2K too!

- John
S2K Slv/Blk #1019
Mk2 Amb/Red #15154 on WL

#13867 - 30/08/2000 14:51 Re: S2000 Installation / Hardware choices? [Re: JoMo25]
ksteele
new poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Got my MKII last couple of days... got to get the install in the S2000 started, otherwise I am going to drive the folks at work crazy!

I will keep posted on this thread any tips and tricks I discover in the process. I have the full S2K service and electric troubleshooting manuals (ETM) on the way from the US. So in a few weeks time, I might be able to answer the - 'so what is connected to what'.. and the 'so how do i safely remove the x' type questions..

Cheers,

Kieran

#13868 - 30/08/2000 15:44 Re: S2000 Installation / Hardware choices? [Re: ksteele]
BryanT
new poster

I just finished my S2000 install! (Woohoo!) I got a 'lil 200W amp, no new speakers (yet). Amber is the most appropriate color.

I needed a coupler that exposed the wires of the S2000 (Circuit City), Stereo wire (about 20'), power cord (15', 10ga), grounding cord, 10' RCA cable, amp powerup cable (10'), and the empeg coupler (included).

The only part of the dash I removed was the stereo unit cover. I fed the power line from the battery, along the back of the front trunk (there's a plastic cover that can be removed) down into the driver's pedal well. Then along the bottom of the steering column, into the stereo cabinet. From there it goes under the carpet along the transmission and through the back wall to the amp.

I'm mounting the amp in the spare tire's well. It's a tight fit and I can fall back to the trunk if needed (not done yet).

The stereo cabling follows a similar path from the stereo cabnet to the amp, but along the passenger side. I ground the amp to one of the nuts in the spare wheel well.

Getting the empeg sled in the space with all those extra cables is quite a challenge. I think I've ended up just squishing it all back there.. hope nothing is rubbing!

The empeg unit itself is easy to insert if you move the shift knob to neutral or 2-4-6th gear. I have no problems closing the stereo door, but the remote does not fit in the little slot on the door. :(

During installation, I caused several scratches to the interior, for anyone reading: be sure to keep that empeg sled wraped in a soft cloth at all times - it's sharp and will quicly poke holes in leather, or scratch the interior components.

I'm incredibly happy with the Mk II, it works perfectly and sounds beautiful.

If you have questions about my install, just ask (use e-mail, I don't check the board regularly).
--Bryan

#13869 - 30/09/2000 14:02 Re: S2000 Installation / Hardware choices? [Re: BryanT]
JoMo25
stranger

OK - I finally got my MkII installed in my S2000 yesterday and it is fantastic! I used to think that the little stereo cover was not a necessity, but now I'm glad it's there! I can close that door and no one will know I've upgraded from the stock stereo. And I'm going to put a small piece of velcro on the inside of that door and the remote and store the remote there. It fits w/o velcro but I'll have to confirm it'll still fit.

I had to go with Red since Amber screens are sold out at the moment, but I will order an Amber one once they've re-stocked. The red isn't bad, but I think the Amber will be a better match and brighter.

BTW, the sound is even sharper than the CD player IMHO because I now have alot more flexibility in tuning/equalizing the sound to the car's interior. I'm truly in driver heaven now. I just need to put more music on my unit. Only have 2Gb on it now which is the sum of all the CDs I'd burned over the last year and had carried with me. I can't even imagine filling up the 12 Gb on my "low-end" empeg model!

- John
S2K Slv/Blk #1019
MkII Red #8/487

#13870 - 30/09/2000 14:04 Re: S2000 Installation / Hardware choices? [Re: JoMo25]
JoMo25
stranger

Oh, and here's a custom S2K logo attached if you're interested...

Attachments
1-18260-S2000-4a.bmp (85 downloads)

#13871 - 01/10/2000 18:35 Re: S2000 Installation / Hardware choices? [Re: JoMo25]
ChrisD
stranger

You guys are the best. My empeg is in the mail, so to speak, hopefully I'll be able to bug you all with questions about the install since myer-emco wants to pummel me with a $1200 total cost (amp, speakers, installation costs) when I think I could get by with used eq and a little elbow grease (~$500). Great logo jomo, I can't wait to see it in action.