Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#20039 - 10/10/2000 11:25 Pop when unit turns on and off?
ChrisD
stranger

Loc: NYC and McLean, VA
I think I had seen this issue in the past but I couldn't seem to locate it. My stereo 'pops' (similar to when someone turns a mike on or off with the volume up) when the empeg powers down. Anyone know what I can do to fix that? Or is it an external issue, perhaps my amp..

#20040 - 10/10/2000 11:33 Re: Pop when unit turns on and off? [Re: ChrisD]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
This is either a wiring problem with your install, or it is a known bug in some of the early Mark2's that shipped. As I recall, if it's the known bug, they have a wiring adapter they can send you which includes a diode on one of the power wires (someone correct me if I'm wrong here). If you're experiencing a power-down pop and you're sure it's not an installation problem, contact [email protected] (or should that be [email protected]?) and ask about it.

(Can someone give the complete skinny on power-down problems and fixes so that I can update the FAQ section comprehensively? The only power-down problem I've got in there so far is the VW/Audio connector wire swap thing.)

#20041 - 10/10/2000 13:33 Re: Pop when unit turns on and off? [Re: tfabris]
trevorp

Loc: Ft Lauderdale, FL
I started getting a power down pop about 3 weeks ago. It would only happen if I pulled the empeg out while playing. Everything was fine if I turned it off first.

I took the empeg out of the dash, and inspected all of my wires on the connector (I figured I'd jinxed myself by saying I'd had it out 5 times with no loose wires), and everything was fine.

I put the empeg back in the dash, and now I have no power off problems. There were no loose wires, etc.

This isn't a resolution, so it won't help you Tony, but I though I'd make a note of it here.

-Trevor

-----
Mk 2, Green 12GB 080000349

-----
Mk 2, Green 12GB, Tuner, 2.0b11, 080000349

#20042 - 10/10/2000 14:45 Re: Pop when unit turns on and off? [Re: trevorp]
SuperQ
addict

Loc: Berlin, DE
"well DUH" if you pop it out while playing, i'm not at all supprised if you get a pop.. when the empeg is going through powerup, it inits the audio DAC, that will cause a pop, but the empeg does not signal the amp to powerup until the rest of the unit is initiaized, that way you don't get a pop on powerup.. same with powerdown, as part of powerdown, it shuts off the amp signal, any good amp will auto-discharge, and stop accepting signal when it's told.. but if you yank the thing from the dash, the amp may not have enough time to kill the signal before it recives a jolt from the connector being removed.. (read my story in the installs section on my 2000 Jetta with monsoon amp, which has no amp control line)

12gig green mk2 -- 080000125

#20043 - 12/10/2000 23:04 Re: Pop when unit turns on and off? [Re: ChrisD]
teemcbee
addict

This pop usually appear when switching off the amp before shutting down the lines. (That's the reason why it appears mostly when just pulling out the empeg without shutting down)

You could prevent from this pop by adding a capacitor to the amp-switch-line. It will load when amp is switched on and if the power is just taken away it will unload smoothly to give the amp time to recognize the lines are shut. Don't really know which size they should be - but they aren't that expensive (0.10 $ ?) so you could try several sizes.
Or just go to a car-audio spezialist and ask how to prevent from this pop. They should know (and maybe give you some better hints)

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143

#20044 - 13/10/2000 03:48 Re: Pop when unit turns on and off? [Re: teemcbee]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
to give the amp time to recognize the lines are shut

Sure?
I'm not a technician by any standard, but I thought that the thumps were caused when power to the empeg is removed with the amp still alive. If I remember correctly, this was resolved in the Mk2 by building delays into the procedure such that, on ignition off, the empeg is kept alive a few seconds while it tells the amp to turn itself off gracefully. In this manner, there is no amplification when the empeg goes dead.

Thus wiring some caps into the amp feeds wouldn't help.
Or is it the other way around . . ? ? ?

Anyhow, with the Mk2 there shouldn't be any thumps unless one yanks the empeg out of its sled while playing. If there is noise when ignition is killed, your car would need the specila spike suppressor that empeg makes available for those in need of it.

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6

#20045 - 15/10/2000 02:14 Re: Pop when unit turns on and off? [Re: Henno]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
with the Mk2 there shouldn't be any thumps unless one yanks the empeg out of its sled while playing.

I can yank my empeg out of its sled right in the middle of a song (or, while it is paused, for that matter) and I get no pops or thumps at all.

Does that mean anything?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#20046 - 15/10/2000 07:12 Re: Pop when unit turns on and off? [Re: tanstaafl.]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
I can yank my empeg out (..) and I get no pops or thumps at all. Does that mean anything?

I don't think so. AFAIK not all installations seem to suffer from this problem

Previously (Mk1) I built Big John's de-thumper: worked great. Don't need it at all with the Mk2, though it does thump when it is yank respectlessly yanked out of its cage, while active. (just for testing; why should I handle the Mk2 without respect? )

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6

#20047 - 19/10/2000 12:30 Re: Pop when unit turns on and off? [Re: Henno]
trevorp

Loc: Ft Lauderdale, FL
Sorry to be posting back to this so late, I've been away for a week or so.

I took my dash apart and checked all my wires, and put everything back together.

I now no longer get the thump when removing the empeg while playing. I must have had a loose wire somewhere that I couldn't find, but that got straightened out when I checked them all.

I pulled it out once while playing to see if there was any issue. It didn't thump then, so I've been doing it ever since. I was just mentioning it to see how other peoples empegs behave.

Again, I assume that in my case it was just a wire that was loose, but not obviously so. Such that when I checked all wires, I fixed the looseness without noticing it.

Thanks for your responses...

-Trevor

-----
Mk 2, Green 12GB 080000349

-----
Mk 2, Green 12GB, Tuner, 2.0b11, 080000349