Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#20875 - 21/10/2000 09:28 Looking for software to figure out EQ settings
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
I've been thinking about some way to determine the EQ settings that's better than trial and error. In a perfect world, I'd like some piece of software that lets me map out the frequency response of my system and then provides me with EQ settings to make it as flat as possible. (Actually, in a super perfect world the empeg would use it's mic input to do a self calibration.) I looked around the net a bit and didn't find anything that did this. The closest I could find were programs that would let me apply EQ settings to a recorded wav file. I was thinking that maybe I could record some pink noise on my laptop and then EQ that. It's not really what I want, though.

Anyone know of any software that provides what I want? Alternatively, I could write my own program or at maybe a spreadsheet that will plot out simulations against my input. But I'd have to learn a lot more about EQ and especially the mysterious Q parameter before I could do this. (I understand what Q does from an intuitive standpoint but I have no idea how to factor it into calculations.)

-Dylan

#20876 - 21/10/2000 22:32 Re: Looking for software to figure out EQ settings [Re: Dylan]
dewdman42

Boy, that's one of the best ideas I've heard all day. Pump some pink noise through the system...and have it use the mic input to self-calibrate. I love it. You should submit this idea to the Wish List discussion group...

#20877 - 22/10/2000 03:53 Re: Looking for software to figure out EQ settings [Re: dewdman42]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Already been done - I suggested this here about 6 months back. Although Hugo was receptive to the idea, there are bandwidth limitations which means that the spectrum could only be sampled up to about 15kHz. This would have the advantage that there would no longer be any objections to AC low-pass filtering at 16kHz...

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015