Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#23302 - 03/12/2000 01:08 empeg mk II + BOSTON ACCOUSITCS + MORE
rockstar
enthusiast

i installed the empeg, bumped my boston rally's to the rear, installed a jl component set up front, and ran it off a PPI PC 4400.2
Very Happy with the sound quality, yes the empeg is better then the kenwood, it accesses faster, has good visuals, sounds cleaner, has a much better eq, etc, etc.

If you want pics or more posted, let me know..the JL's from what i understand are made by boston accoustics, and are the same as the rally's escept the x-over, which makes a hige diff iMHO, worth teh $20 extra.

The amp is clean as hell, and s/n on both the amp and deck is >110

Anyway, got it all in, pretty do[e, getting all the wires back behind the empeg sleve was a HO, and I had to change 2 wres over and splice for the remote ap turnon.

ANyway, FWIW, i am really happy with this setup,

empeg mk II 12 gig
JL 6&1/2 components - $279.00
Boston RAlly 6&1/2 - $259
PPI 4400.2 - $500

I don't think i will be adding a sub, at least not for a whilte, the sound is just so clean, and the JL have great midbass (as many of you know i was on a quest for good midbass.

just thought i would post on it.

thanks for all your former help and i am sure i will have a ton of newbie questions pretty soon, so bear with me.

#23303 - 03/12/2000 23:11 Re: empeg mk II + BOSTON ACCOUSITCS + MORE [Re: rockstar]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I don't think i will be adding a sub,

Well, right now there are probably a couple dozen people on this bbs saying to themselves, "Oh, No, tanstaafl.'s going off on his subwoofer rant again."

Please reconsider this. I could point you to at least a half dozen posts (pgrzelak, you reading this?) from other users who had to be talked into adding a sub, and the sentiment is always the same -- no idea how much they were missing until they added the subwoofer. A subwoofer isn't just to go "boom boom boom" although that's the impression you could quite justifiably get listening to some badly designed, assembled, and played systems. But there's about two full octaves of music on your CDs that you aren't hearing if the biggest speaker you have in your car is in the six inch range.

A subwoofer means more work and more money, but I have yet to hear from anybody who, once it was done, didn't think it was well worth it.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#23304 - 03/12/2000 23:34 Re: empeg mk II + BOSTON ACCOUSITCS + MORE [Re: tanstaafl.]
rockstar
enthusiast

dude, you don't have to preach to me about it, this is the first itme i haven't had a sub/subs in my car.

I just think the mdbass is so good right now, taht i really can't justify the expense or space, or causing rattles.in fact, i just had a 10" sub stolen, along with 2 amps and a kenwood z919, which is what led me to the empeg :)

anyway, not that i don't think subs have a place, and i don't need ot be talked into one, i just don't want one right now, for many reasons.

#23305 - 04/12/2000 00:01 Re: empeg mk II + BOSTON ACCOUSITCS + MORE [Re: rockstar]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
in fact, i just had a 10" sub stolen, along with 2 amps and a kenwood z919, which is what led me to the empeg :)

Wow, you're in the same boat I was last year around this time.

I, too, had my head unit and 10" subwoofer stolen at the same time I was drooling over the Empeg web site. Although in my case, my amps were stealth-mounted and survived the theft.

My initial outlay for the empeg (purchased second-hand, by the way, because I was way down on the waiting list for new ones) also prevented me from being able to replace the subwoofer right away. I, too, had to wait a few months to be able to afford the replacement subwoofer.

#23306 - 04/12/2000 00:29 Re: empeg mk II + BOSTON ACCOUSITCS + MORE [Re: tfabris]
rockstar
enthusiast

do they cover warranty when youg et one second hadn, i sent a letter asking, but i didn't get a response yet.

#23307 - 04/12/2000 08:47 Re: empeg mk II + BOSTON ACCOUSITCS + MORE [Re: tanstaafl.]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

Yes, I am reading. From the description, it sounds like a very nice install / system. I am willing to bet that a sub will be added eventually... It is just a matter of time...

Paul G.
SN# 090000587 (40GB Green)

#23308 - 04/12/2000 09:56 Re: empeg mk II + BOSTON ACCOUSITCS + MORE [Re: rockstar]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I don't know what their official policy on second-hand warranty is, now that they're owned by SonicBlue. In my case, Rob said they would honor the remaining warranty period on my particular unit. I didn't have any reason to send it in during that period, though, so I never got to test him on it.

#23309 - 07/12/2000 15:05 Re: empeg mk II + BOSTON ACCOUSITCS + MORE [Re: tanstaafl.]
SuperQ
addict

Loc: Berlin, DE
yep.. I have a nicely tuned single JL 12W6 in my system (xtant 403a) and it just adds that little bit of vibe that lets you feel the music

12gig green mk2 -- 080000125