Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#30861 - 10/05/2001 11:49 How difficult will tuner module installation be?
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
The "Tuner Module Progress" thread didn't seem to be the right place for a question like this, so I'm making a new thread... I am eagerly awaiting the tuner module's release, and I'd like to hear from Rob or any other Empeg folks on what is involved in installing the tuner module. Does the sled have to be pulled? Is it something a professional audio guy should install?

-Tony
MkII #554

#30862 - 10/05/2001 13:06 Re: How difficult will tuner module installation be? [Re: tonyc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
This one's in the FAQ.

#30863 - 10/05/2001 13:24 Re: How difficult will tuner module installation be? [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Gotcha, thanks.

-Tony
MkII #554

#30864 - 10/05/2001 15:38 Re: How difficult will tuner module installation be? [Re: tonyc]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
To elaborate just a little bit on the FAQ... you may or may not have to remove the sled. It will depend on whether you can get access to some of the wires behind the sled -- specifically, the connector on the sled harness that attaches to the tuner; and the antenna lead that used to be connected to your radio before you replaced it with the empeg.

Even if you have access to these two connectors, you still may have to remove the sled if you have no other way of physically getting the tuner into a position where the connectors can be attached to the tuner. One possibility is that the tuner is (just) small enough to go in through the front opening of the sled and out the bottom opening, so you may find enough room there.

One thing I have learned from experience as a mechanic: It is usually easier to take a little bit more apart to gain access to what you are working on than it is to try and fight it. In other words, disconnect the exhaust pipe so you can get to the starter rather than try and get a wrench in there that will only make 1/12 of a turn at a time. Same thing applies to the empeg sled -- if you can't get the tuner in there easily, pull the sled. It's less work than you might think, and you can take the opportunity to give a good tug on the wires of the sled connector to make sure you don't have one of the early sleds that were prone to having the wires come loose.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#30865 - 10/05/2001 16:05 Re: How difficult will tuner module installation be? [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Thanks, Doug, I added that stuff to the FAQ.

#30866 - 11/05/2001 01:46 Re: How difficult will tuner module installation be? [Re: tfabris]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
Are we getting an extension cable as no way will i be able to fit the tuner where my plug terminates as there isn't enough space but with about a 500mm extension i can sit it onto of my glove box inside the dash and after installing stereos in other cars it will be needed in my experience for others

#30867 - 11/05/2001 03:17 Re: How difficult will tuner module installation be? [Re: thinfourth2]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Yeah, as far as I know the module will ship with an extension cable.

Rob

#30868 - 11/05/2001 04:40 Re: How difficult will tuner module installation be? [Re: rob]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Yipee

It work in the house won't it for when i bog off on the big floaty things?

#30869 - 11/05/2001 04:58 Re: How difficult will tuner module installation be? [Re: tanstaafl.]
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
regarding pulling out the sled, is there a good way to go about unbending those bendy tab things? i am probably moving the empeg and pioneer to a new miata soon, and will have to move all my all my audio junk.

jeremy

12 gig, green...

#30870 - 11/05/2001 06:09 Re: How difficult will tuner module installation be? [Re: jstrain]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

None that i have thought of with most stereos with the little tin plate cages you just take out the stereo and then collapse the cage and it falls out but the empeg has a heavy gauge stainless affair which is a real pain in the tits to get out

#30871 - 11/05/2001 18:51 Re: How difficult will tuner module installation be? [Re: jstrain]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
is there a good way to go about unbending those bendy tab things?

The only way I've found is to just go in with a thin flat-blade screwdriver and lever them back up. Most of them you will be able to lever against the main part of the cage itself. If you have to lever against part of the dash, be careful that you don't cause damage. The tabs actually bend back up more easily than you'd expect. The one time I took my cage out I was quite surprised at how easily it was accomplished.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"