Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#32355 - 07/06/2001 08:11 Sony Steering Wheel Remote
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I have a pretty big concern here. I ordered the RM-X4S from Crutchfield. The remote itself is MUCH larger than it looks like in any web pictures I've seen. It's very strange. I'm suprised anyone here can fit one on your steering wheel. The thing is like 5-6 inches long! What's up with that?

I'm only able to eyeball it for now, but it doesn't look like this thing will even fit where my old one is without hitting the outer ring part of the wheel. I guess when I have it installed, they could push it a little further back, but then when the wheel is turned it would hit the signal lever. Then I guess you could mount it on the column, but that would defeat its purpose, which I take as being you don't have to take your hands off the wheel to operate the player.

I guess I'll have to sell it and wait until VR for a hands-on-the-wheel control of my empeg... kinda dissapointed now...

DiGNAN
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, etc.

#32356 - 07/06/2001 08:13 Re: Sony Steering Wheel Remote [Re: Dignan]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
It isn't supposed to mount on the steering wheel - the cable would get all tangled! It mounts on the steering column, which makes it about as safe to operate as your indicators, headlights or windscreen wipers.

Rob

#32357 - 07/06/2001 08:50 Re: Sony Steering Wheel Remote [Re: rob]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

That doesn't make alot of sense. At that point it'll be just as far away as the empeg itself. I guess I've been used to the last couple cars I've driven that have the controls on the wheel itself. I still think it's kind of strange.

DiGNAN
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, etc.

#32358 - 07/06/2001 09:25 Re: Sony Steering Wheel Remote [Re: Dignan]
TommyE
enthusiast

Loc: NORWAY
I once owned a Sony headunit, and this 'joystick' came along in the package.
I tried it -> trew it away for the same reasons you don't like it.

TommyE

#32359 - 07/06/2001 10:22 Re: Sony Steering Wheel Remote [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
That doesn't make alot of sense. At that point it'll be just as far away as the empeg itself.

Agreed. But some people swear by 'em. The idea is that you can operate the controls without looking down. You're supposed to be able to "feel" the button layout the same way that you do for your turn signals and windshield wipers.

I, personally, don't like the concept. I'd much rather have steering-wheel buttons in the same location as my cruise control buttons.

I guess I've been used to the last couple cars I've driven that have the controls on the wheel itself.

I'm told that if you've got a car with factory steering-wheel buttons, you can get a "my-car-to-Sony-stereo adapter module". If you sent the RM-X4S back and got your money back, then you could locate and buy one of those adapters. Then your empeg mk2 (with tuner module) would be controlled by your factory steering wheel buttons.

The other option is to use a steering-wheel mounted IR remote, like the Pioneer unit, and run a hacked version of the kernel that will read it. Others have done this, and it works well.

#32360 - 07/06/2001 10:52 Re: Sony Steering Wheel Remote [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Thanks alot Tony, I'll have to check into that. Unfortunately, my factory remote only has 3 buttons (volume up/down, and what used to be simply a track advance), but hey, it's better than nothing.

Do you know where to get something like that?

Does anyone in the DC area want a Sony steering wheel remote? I'll part with it for $35 which is how much you can get it for at Crutchfield, but without shipping. Let me know. Maybe we can actually get a small meet together...

DiGNAN
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, etc.

#32361 - 07/06/2001 10:59 Re: Sony Steering Wheel Remote [Re: Dignan]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
First of all try the pioneer steering wheel remote which is well supported by Frank

Secondly I have heard of one guy who installed the joystick in the back of the car so passengers in the rear seat could control the stereo for his kids. Not suggesting you do this as it would drive me up the wall but it is an idea.

Or you could have it sticking up strangly out of the dash like some have done.

#32362 - 07/06/2001 11:03 Re: Sony Steering Wheel Remote [Re: Dignan]
Sheetzam

Loc: Annandale, VA
As a matter of fact, I am in the DC area, and am interested in your remote. I used to have a Sony head unit, with the remote stick, and mounted it near the emergency break in my Golf. Worked quite nicely, as that is where my hand rested most of the time.
So anyway, yes, I'll buy it from you, and would be quite happy to get together for a small meet.
Time and place?
Perhaps we can get ClemsonJeep to join us as well.

#32363 - 07/06/2001 11:54 Re: Sony Steering Wheel Remote [Re: Sheetzam]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Agreed! That would be great! ClemsonJeep suggested Great Falls park. I like the idea alot, but then again I live fairly nearby (it's halfway to the girlfriend's house). He can do some kayaking after we show off our systems.

Although keep in mind that you have to pay to get in. Something like $5. I also don't remember what kind of parking lot it has. We might not want to disturb other people. I could think of a large parking lot or other open area in the McLean region, but that's all I know of. It doesn't really matter all that much where we meet.

Let me know what you think.

DiGNAN
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, etc.

#32364 - 08/06/2001 01:51 Re: Sony Steering Wheel Remote [Re: thinfourth2]
Derek
addict

Loc: NRW, Germany
... 'cause there is no place for it on the steering column of an A Class Mercedes, ...

Ay Rob

(list 6284, Mk1 S/N 00299 4GB blue [for sale]. Mk2 S/N 080000094 6GB blue)

#32365 - 08/06/2001 02:04 Re: Sony Steering Wheel Remote [Re: Derek]
brask
new poster

I still keep my Sony Steering wheel from my old stereo mounted next to the gearshifter (manual), in that configuration I keep one hand on the wheel and the other on the gear stick / sony stick, very easy to handle the stereo that way. That is when I can attach it to the empeg ... waiting ....

/nB

Edited by brask on 08/06/01 10:06 AM.

#32366 - 08/06/2001 04:44 Re: Sony Steering Wheel Remote [Re: Dignan]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I used to have one of those I was also suprised by the size

I used to just hold it it wasn't mounted to anything but the wire broke and I never bought another one

I wonder how the new wireless one works is it rf or ir I am guessing rf because in the stores they always have it mounted to the wall next to the head unit

Matt

#32367 - 08/06/2001 15:12 Re: Sony Steering Wheel Remote [Re: msaeger]
srhodes
enthusiast

Loc: Derbyshire, UK
I was interested in the wireless remote but then I thought - batteries. If you have it mounted then you need to make sure that it is easily accessible for battery replacement.

Steve - 18GB Mk II Amber

2x80GB Mk II with Illuminated buttons