Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#33166 - 22/06/2001 17:40 Any way to mix the aux-in with the normal player?
Clarke
journeyman

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ USA
I'm in the process of putting a biscut computer (Pent III) into my Hummer for several reasons:

Street Navigation software,
GPS Interface,
Interface with OBD-II computer running the truck,
Moving Topo Map for off-roading,
e-mail access on the road (wireless connectivity),
and because it's fun.

I'd like to run the output of the computer into the empeg's aux-in. A quick view of the FAQ doesn't mention anything about being able to mix the input's such that I could hear the computers output (voice directions for navigation, warning messages from the software reading the ODB-II outputs)....

Is it possible? How do I go about making it work?

Thanks!

Queue: 351, Mk1 4GB Blue, Mk2 18GB Green

Queue 351, Now Mk II #60000022 18gb, Blue
______________________________________ Queue 351, Mk I, 30GB Mk II #60000022 80gb, Blue - docked Mk2a, 80GB, Bruface, lighted buttons and dial

#33167 - 23/06/2001 14:20 Re: Any way to mix the aux-in with the normal player? [Re: Clarke]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The Aux input and the digital input are both handled an off-the shelf DSP, and I don't have the DSP's spec sheet handy right now to look it up. Whether or not it can be mixed would be at the mercy of the DSP's capabilities. Anyone have that PDF file handy?

Anyway, even if you could mix it in the DSP, the player software would have to be altered to get the job done, and I'm not sure that's controlled by a hackable piece of code or not.

Another solution would be to use a passive line-level mixer and send both devices into that. I don't know if that's a common car audio component or not, but it's very common with musician's equipment.

#33168 - 23/06/2001 14:22 Re: Any way to mix the aux-in with the normal player? [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
We should post the PDF as an on-line resource. I have it available here for posting if neccesary.
Let me know.

Rob

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#33169 - 23/06/2001 22:50 Re: Any way to mix the aux-in with the normal player? [Re: tfabris]
Clarke
journeyman

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ USA
Tony,

I hadn't thought about line-level mixers - that might make the most sense if there isn't an easy hack that would let me mix the two. I'll start researching.

If you have the spec PDF, I'd love to get a copy. I'm not sure I'd understand it but I might be able to make some sense of it.

Rob/Mike/Hugo,

Any thoughts to being able to run both the aux-in and the player in tandem? I can see how this would be a "good thing" (tm) as ICE becomes more common...

=-Clarke

Queue 351, Now Mk II #60000022 18gb, Blue
______________________________________ Queue 351, Mk I, 30GB Mk II #60000022 80gb, Blue - docked Mk2a, 80GB, Bruface, lighted buttons and dial

#33170 - 24/06/2001 03:02 Re: Any way to mix the aux-in with the normal player? [Re: Clarke]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
No, the DSP can't select more than one input source. On the mk2, you can run the aux input through the CS4231 sampler though, and in theory mix it digitally with the MP3 stream. You can't mix it with a radio station though, as that doesn't get to the CPU.

Hugo