Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#33582 - 29/06/2001 10:54 Loose wire on IDE cable (upgrade mk2)
edwin

Loc: Druten, The Netherlands
HELP!

First things first: I read the FAQ and the linked webpages BEFORE doing the upgrade. I want to upgrade my mk2 with a second harddisk (IBM DJSA-220).
When I gently disconnected the IDE cable from the factory installed 6Gb IBM drive, I noticed a loose wire sitting on the IDE cable. It looked as if it was in between a pin of the harddisk and the IDE connector itself. Did I do something wrong? I do have huge amount of PC assembly&repair knowledge (9 years now) so I know I haven't done anything wrong sofar. But I'm really puzzled about this wire... Does anyone have a clue regarding this strange black 4.6cm wire?
I also did send an email to support, but I hope someone can help me sooner, since the player is still lying here dissassembled.

Edwin de Vaan
mk2 rev.7 Trillian # 080000263 6Gb blue/red

#33583 - 29/06/2001 11:16 Re: Loose wire on IDE cable (upgrade mk2) [Re: edwin]
EngelenH
enthusiast

Loc: Belgium/Holland
I am trying to form a picture of what you mean but am having trouble to do so. Any chance of you enlightening it with a photo ?

The only black wire I can think of would be pin 1on the IDE cable, having recently installed the same drive you did I can't say I noticed any other ones near the IDE connector. It would surprise me if that was loose though.

ps. Don't forget to shield the electronics from the metal sled on the DSJA-220. I used a plastic sheet (like the kind used for overhead projectors) and cut it to form. But you can use washers or electric tape too.

Cheers,
Hans

Mk2 - Blue & Red - 080000431

#33584 - 29/06/2001 11:28 Re: Loose wire on IDE cable (upgrade mk2) [Re: edwin]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Not sure what you mean without seeing a picture... Perhaps it's a loose piece of "stuff" that happened to fall into the case during assembly. Maybe it can be removed without a problem? Without seeing a picture I can't be sure.

#33585 - 29/06/2001 11:30 Re: Loose wire on IDE cable (upgrade mk2) [Re: edwin]
David
addict

Loc: Cambridge
I've just replied to the email you sent to support.

For the benefit of everyone else: It was intended to stop the connector being pushed too far onto the drive pins and damaging the connector. You can bin it. Just don't push the connector on too hard.

--
David
// I'm probably not speaking on behalf of empeg/SONICblue here...

#33586 - 29/06/2001 11:32 Re: Loose wire on IDE cable (upgrade mk2) [Re: David]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Wow, okay... I'll add that one to the FAQ, then.

I think my drive upgrade FAQ is going to become the most-edited BBS post in history. At this point, there's more "note"s and asides in the thing than there is main text.

#33587 - 29/06/2001 16:13 Re: Loose wire on IDE cable (upgrade mk2) [Re: tfabris]
edwin

Loc: Druten, The Netherlands
To all who replied.

Boy, am I glad I really didn't do anything wrong. From the time I posted my question I started pulling out my hairs (on my head) one by one. Additionally, I tortured my mouse to death by continously clicking the refresh button. Fortunally, a quick reply was on the way and stopped me going on it like that... Many thanks guys!

a photo? Yes, thought of adding that, but the Kodak DC210+ doesn't have high enough resolution to properly visualize it. Here is a blurry photo.

shield the electronics I added M3 washers, work out fine!

Loose piece of "stuff" that happened to fall into the case during assembly. Like the stuff that is situated between the nostrills??

add that one to the FAQ Maybe DMoore (linked in the FAQ) should change the remark about Empeg sticking to Toshiba disks, since mine (August 2k) came with an IBM drive installed as well as other's.

After reading David's remark, I ran the builder tool on the new drive, let the stress test run for an hour, installed the consumer 1.03 version, added a jumper for slave operation, connected the 6Gb IBM (with dev. image)... It works like a whole new one! It even boots up faster with these two disks connected. Then I kept staring at the main PCB and display PCB for about 3 hours. It is really a fine piece of work this rio/empeg car! Also read the greeted companies, which was actually a quiz question in Amersfoort. Took some pictures and finally reassembled everything again and shouted a loud "YES YES YES!"

Now I am still trying to fill up the new disk space. I thought I had a huge MP3 collection on my PC... Actually it is, considering the 21Gb ripped part and the 3,5Gb downloaded part.....

Leaves a couple of questions as I come to think of it.... In the FAQ it is recommended to install the standard (I presume the consumer) image of the newest player software for a backup scenario when the other disk fails. But in case of failure(s) this will eventually affect your MP3 collection on that disk itself, won't it? So what is the point of installing any player software on the second harddisk, since in case of a failure you will still need to open up the player and swap the faulty disk and (most probably) lose sync of the FIDS.

Second question, if I should install the developer image on the second disk, does that have different consequences than installing the consumer version?

Third and last question, if a newer software version emerges, should the second disk be updated with the new version as well?

Again, thank you all for helping me out here.

Edwin de Vaan
mk2 rev.7 Trillian # 080000263 6Gb blue/red

#33588 - 29/06/2001 17:58 Re: Loose wire on IDE cable (upgrade mk2) [Re: edwin]
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
Then I kept staring at the main PCB and display PCB for about 3 hours. It is really a fine piece of work this rio/empeg car!

Finally! Someone who appreciates the hardware design. Hours and hours and hours of work all by myself, ignored in favour of the outpourings of a whole team of programmers. Mumble mumble mutter no-one cares about hardware anymore mutter mutter...

pca

Opinions expressed in this email may contain up to 42% water by weight, and are mine. All mine.

#33589 - 30/06/2001 01:34 Re: Loose wire on IDE cable (upgrade mk2) [Re: pca]
EngelenH
enthusiast

Loc: Belgium/Holland
I'll send you some Red Bulls ...

Happy now ?

Cheers,
Hans

Mk2 - Blue & Red - 080000431

#33590 - 30/06/2001 10:35 Re: Loose wire on IDE cable (upgrade mk2) [Re: edwin]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

It even boots up faster with these two disks connected.

Yeah, because it doesn't sit around waiting for a nonexistent second disk to spin up. Funny, that...

In the FAQ it is recommended to install the standard (I presume the consumer) image of the newest player software for a backup scenario when the other disk fails.

That, and to make sure you've erased the "loaded-gun" builder image from the flash kernel. If you don't do this, when you insert the other disk, it too would get erased. If you had songs on there, you'd be very disappointed. This is a necessary step if you're simply adding the second disk.

Yes, there are ways to make sure your first disk doesn't get hurt without adding player software to the second disk. I just needed to keep the instructions simple so that no one accidentally erased the music on their first disk.

But in case of failure(s) this will eventually affect your MP3 collection on that disk itself, won't it? So what is the point of installing any player software on the second harddisk, since in case of a failure you will still need to open up the player and swap the faulty disk and (most probably) lose sync of the FIDS.

Nah, it works out fine. I had my primary disk fail once, and the fact that the player software was on the second disk was a godsend. The FIDs were confused, true. It only listed the songs that were on the second disk, and any playlists that expected to find songs on drive0 came up as "changed" in Emplode. But at least the player worked and I was able to do stuff (like drop to a shell and try to diagnose the problem with the other drive) that I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise.

Second question, if I should install the developer image on the second disk, does that have different consequences than installing the consumer version? Third and last question, if a newer software version emerges, should the second disk be updated with the new version as well?

That's all totally up to you. It's not critical either way. In my case, I had a two-versions-back Developer on disk two when disk one failed, and it was all OK.