Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#39163 - 24/09/2001 01:19 Remote conflicts
dewdman42

I have a few questions. I am pondering a Kenwood head unit and wondering if I am going to run into remote conflicts. Anyone care to elaborate? Are all kenwood head units using the same remotes or are there different ones (some of which are the same as Empeg)?? If I get the Rio remote, then that will control the Empeg without controlling the Kenwood right? However, even if I had that Rio remote...the minute I pull out the Kenwood remote is it going to send my Empeg a flailing as well?

Thanks in advance

#39164 - 24/09/2001 04:51 Re: Remote conflicts [Re: dewdman42]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

This is based purely on my (not even remotely perfect) memory and the things I picked up on this board:
All kenwood remotes use either very similar or the same codes for their common functions (like play, stop, volume up, volume down etc.). The rio branded remote for the empeg uses different codes though. So what is most likely to happen?
a) Your rio-branded remote will probably not influence the kenwood head unit
b) The Kenwood remote will probably influence the empeg.
There is a way around (b) though: Install a kernel with the IR mapping hack, and map the kenwood remote command to nothing. That way, the empeg will ignore the kenwood remote and the kenwood will ignore the rio remote, just like it should be in a mixed kenwood/empeg setup.
I would really like an option in emplode though that allows to disable certain remotes.

cu,
sven

proud MkII owner (12GB blue/green/smoked, was #080000113 is #090001010)

#39165 - 24/09/2001 05:00 Re: Remote conflicts [Re: dewdman42]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Are all kenwood head units using the same remotes or are there different ones (some of which are the same as Empeg)?

As far as I know, Kenwood uses the same IR codes for all its car stereos. Therefore, the Empeg's Kenwood remote will also control your Kenwood head unit.

If I get the Rio remote, then that will control the Empeg without controlling the Kenwood right?

Right. It uses a different set of IR codes.

However, even if I had that Rio remote...the minute I pull out the Kenwood remote is it going to send my Empeg a flailing as well?

Yes, in the current version of the software. But version 2.0 will give you the option to ignore the Kenwood IR commands, which will solve this problem.

My feeling is that right now, you should buy a Rio remote, and simply don't use either of the Kenwood remotes for a while. Just control your Kenwood head unit with its front-panel buttons.

Then, when version 2.0 of the software comes out, you can put your new Kenwood remote back into service controlling your new Kenwood head unit.

#39166 - 24/09/2001 10:29 Re: Remote conflicts [Re: tfabris]
dewdman42

Yea, probably right. I already ordered a Rio remote yesterday, so that is step one. I have narrowed it down to either the Kenwood KDX-X915 or else the Pioneer DEH-P9300. Obvious advantages to the Pioneer. The kenwood's main advantages is that it has red lights on it that match the dash on my Audi a little better. Not that big a deal.

The other bummer is that I already bought that nice big Kenwood remote that has been mentioned before on here. I like the fact that the buttons are bigger and its easier to find buttons without looking down. However, the Rio remote is actually labeled correctly...and from the picture it looks like maybe the buttons are raised a little higher than the original Kenwood one that came with my Empeg. So we'll see how it goes I guess.

Thanks all for your feedback.

#39167 - 24/09/2001 14:32 Re: Remote conflicts [Re: smu]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
This is based purely on my (not even remotely perfect) memory and the things I picked up on this board

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

you crack me up

Murray
Go-Wit-Da-Fro

#39168 - 25/09/2001 04:13 Re: Remote conflicts [Re: muzza]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

Ouch, that one was unintended.

cu,
sven

proud MkII owner (12GB blue/green/smoked, was #080000113 is #090001010)