Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#38998 - 21/09/2001 10:00 They Might Be Giants: Mink Car
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Are there any TMBG fans who have purchased Mink Car, their new release? How is it?

Its release date was an unfortunate coincidence, I wonder if anyone even knows about it.

#38999 - 21/09/2001 11:15 Re: They Might Be Giants: Mink Car [Re: tfabris]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

This is the first I have heard about it. I will have to take a look around... Thanks!!!

Paul G.
SN# 090000587 (96GB Smoke)

#39000 - 21/09/2001 11:26 Re: They Might Be Giants: Mink Car [Re: pgrzelak]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I just bought it from Amazon, along with two older TMBG titles I'd been meaning to get, and the DVD of Fisher King. The folks at Amazon seemed to like it, but I don't trust the fact that the store posts reviews, who knows if they're true.

#39001 - 21/09/2001 19:00 Re: They Might Be Giants: Mink Car [Re: tfabris]
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
I've had an MP3 version of this album for a while since I am an Emusic subscriber...

If you've been listening to the Emusic monthly selections, this album will not be much of a surprise. Most of the songs have been released in one form or another there. A few of the songs appear in new mixes that really improve the TMBG-ness. A couple have been over produced in my opinion... a case of not knowing when to leave good enough alone I think.

All in all, it is a fine album... TMBG fans will love it, if they haven't already worn the songs out like I have...

I mean seriously... do they really think "She thinks she's Edith Head" is so good to release it AGAIN? I don't... but the melancholy version of "Another First Kiss" is a great compliment to the bouncy version from "Severe Tire Damage."

Brian H. Johnson
MK2 36GB Blue
"Honey, you're wasting ammo..."

#39002 - 21/09/2001 19:19 Re: They Might Be Giants: Mink Car [Re: bootsy]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
yay there are two emusic members here (isn't emusic great !). I also downloaded it this is the first TMBG album I have listened to it is pretty good I will have to try some others they have a few on emusic

32Gig MK2 In 2001 VW Golf TDI

Matt

#39003 - 21/09/2001 19:43 Re: They Might Be Giants: Mink Car [Re: msaeger]
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
Yeah... Emusic is pretty cool for finding new, interesting music. Plus it's fun to listen to stuff I would never in my right mind purchase. They really need to work on their encoding, however... 128 is too low for the stuff I really like.

I honestly signed up for all the TMBG extras... each month (for those of you unfamiliar) They Might Be Giants release several tracks, usually unreleased stuff and live tracks. A full album's worth of goodies once a month... very cool. Some of it is throw away material... old demos and dial-a-song rejects, but a lot of it is very good. The only problem is the monthly stuff gets wiped when the new batch is posted. Something about copyright/licensing...

Plus I have a swanky TMBG fleece in my closet and an autographed copy of Mink Car in the mail...

Brian H. Johnson
MK2 36GB Blue
"Honey, you're wasting ammo..."

#39004 - 21/09/2001 22:10 Re: They Might Be Giants: Mink Car [Re: bootsy]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I signed up because I started to listen to punk and epitaph has their stuff on there. the only things I don't like are I have to rename and retag all the files also I would like some way to filter out the compilations when browsing and searching

32Gig MK2 In 2001 VW Golf TDI

Matt

#39005 - 17/10/2001 14:04 Re: They Might Be Giants: Mink Car [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Just wanted to follow up on this. After having the album for a while and listening to it a few times, I have to say that it's one of the best TMBJ albums of all.

This morning on the way to work, I kept hitting the back button at the end of "Man It's So Loud In Here". I cued the song up again on purpose this afternoon and noticed that it said Plays:7.