Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#47636 - 22/11/2001 22:12 Ethernet Upgrades
Dredd
enthusiast

Loc: Bay Area, California
For those of us with unsupported platforms who are talking to our players via things like Virtual PC...

What's the current status of non-serial (e.g., Ethernet) upgrades? It'd be really nice to not have to trek out to where my linux box is colo'ed to be able to flash a new ROM.

D

#47637 - 23/11/2001 16:23 Re: Ethernet Upgrades [Re: Dredd]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Has anyone ever mentioned that this would be possible in the future? I thought the reason behind the serial connection was due to the way it was connected inside the unit - ie. you don't have the software layers running for USB nor ethernet when you want to do a lower level operation like flash the unit.

As an aside, aren't there any hardware solutions for DB-9 serial connections for MacOS? I should probably know this since I use Macs every day, but my main concern is graphics hardware. Of course I don't know how well a configuration like this would work with Virtual PC nor the flasher software.

#47638 - 23/11/2001 16:26 Re: Ethernet Upgrades [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Upgrading through USB/Ethernet has been discussed in the past. They have talked about adding it as a feature. This hasn't happened yet.

Note that a serial upgrade system would still be necessary if you hosed your player to the point where it was unbootable. This would be the "last resort" fallback position in the event of a failed USB/ethernet upgrade.