Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#49410 - 09/12/2001 09:19 Success!!
ShadowMan
addict

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
I've been posting my troubles since upgrading to v2b3 in the bug reports forum and I would like to say that I finally am having success using v2b3.

I upgraded and couldn't upload any music on my empeg... which I was able to do previously anytime I tried. So after running v2b3 for a month with no new updates to my collection I downgraded to v1.03 (with emplode v1.03). When I was unable to sync with that I got a little worried. It turns out my Hard drive was failing and until v2b3 came out I had no idea. I am wondering if v2b3 brought out the error in my hard drive???

Anyways, I borrowed a 10 gig drive from a friends Laptop and installed it into my empeg last night. Ran the stress test for 45 minutes or so and then decided it was time to add some music. So with 1.03 installed I uploaded all of my Christmas music... no problem! Woohoo! I figured what the heck, let's upgrade to v2b3. Then I ran emplode v2 on my other PC which wouldn't work at all before without getting sync errors. Made a few small changes and BAM! successful sync. So then I set up about 1 gig of music to upload, let it run and then BAM!!! successful sync! I am very happy now but still wondering why v2b3 caused the drive problem to manifest itself.

So all of you upgraders that are having sync problems... did you try to downgrade to v1.03 after and still have sync problems??

#49411 - 09/12/2001 10:05 Re: Success!! [Re: ShadowMan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I don't see how a software upgrade could have caused a drive failure.

Something you might want to try is formatting that "bad" drive from scratch and seeing it if still exhibits problems.

This makes me think though...

At the moment, the player/emplode software isn't terribly helpful in telling you if there's a problem with the disk drive. Instead, you just get mysterious errors and behavior problems that are hard to track down. I wonder if there's a way for the player to notify you on-screen if it gets certain drive errors.

#49412 - 09/12/2001 15:55 Re: Success!! [Re: tfabris]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Are HDD errors reported when a fsck is performed? Maybe it could be initiated from within emplode and results reported. A built in set of utils for HDD checking within emplode would be nice.

#49413 - 09/12/2001 16:00 Re: Success!! [Re: tfabris]
Nosferatu
enthusiast

Loc: France, Champagne
I had the same prob this week end on the 9th December.

I tried to upload my empeg the last Kylie Minogue Single ( :|p ) and I had my first Emplode error :

Unable to check media. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried with Jemplode, it detects the player but when try to sync , unable to find Media. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I shut down eletrically and restart the player.

Tried another sync, but nothing to do !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Downgrade to 1.03 ok

Upgrade to 2b3 ok

Now I can sync again, but ???????????

I dont understand cos I had not uploaded music since 1 or 2 weeks.

I had kernel from Mark V73, so maybe ?