Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#58047 - 11/01/2002 22:06 I'm New and Clueless.. How to sync, etc.
TedP

Loc: South Bay, CA: USA
Hello All,

I just replaced my NEO jukebox with a RioCAR, and the thing ROCKS!! So far I was able to update the firmware to beta 7, and drag my MP3 music directory over to EMPLODE. I uploaded all my files over ethernet (time to upgrade my hub to 100Mb). My music is sorted as Artist/Album/Track. This heirarchy was created in the playlist.. this is all good! Now the questions:

- How do I keep it synced with my music on the disk? Do I redrag the entire directory? Hopefully it will only update changes in files.

- EMPLODE created lists sorted by genre, album, artist, etc. Can these lists be uploaded as playlists?

- I keep all my music on Media Jukebox. They offer plugins for MP3 players. The developers have expressed an interest in writing one for the RioCAR, but they say that they dont know who to contact.

- I am trying to upload some m3u playlists, but EMPLODE does not seem to recognize them. Is this a supported feature? Must the m3u file have relative or absolute path names?

- Finally.. before I install in my car, what is the microphone jack used for?

Thanks in advance! Cant wait to get this baby in my vehicle!
-Ted

#58048 - 11/01/2002 22:16 Re: I'm New and Clueless.. How to sync, etc. [Re: TedP]
mandiola
enthusiast

Loc: Miami, FL - Sioux Falls, SD
All of the answers are in the http://www.riocar.org/ FAQ. You can check them out there.

-PS ... The empeg only has a 10mbps nic... so a 100mbps wouldn't do you any good ; /

-Greg

#58049 - 12/01/2002 01:17 Re: I'm New and Clueless.. How to sync, etc. [Re: TedP]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Congratulations on your new toy!

So far I was able to update the firmware to beta 7, and drag my MP3 music directory over to EMPLODE.

It is recommended that you stick with 1.03 for your initial large synchs. 1.03 is stable, 2.0 beta 7 is not (hence the name "beta").

How do I keep it synced with my music on the disk? Do I redrag the entire directory? Hopefully it will only update changes in files.

In theory, yeah, 2.0 should dupe-check if the folder structure is exactly the same and you drop it on exactly the right spot.

If not, it will make a second copy of everything (ick).

Then again, it might make a second copy of everything anyway. I'm not totally clear on how it would behave in that situation, never tried it. And if it's 1.03, then it will almost definitly make two copies of everything (if I recall correctly).

My recommendation, just to be sure, is to only drag new files onto emplode.

EMPLODE created lists sorted by genre, album, artist, etc. Can these lists be uploaded as playlists?

Not yet. It's time for you to start reading the FAQ at www.riocar.org and getting acquainted. This is known as the "Soup" views and it's covered in the FAQ.

The developers have expressed an interest in writing one for the RioCAR, but they say that they dont know who to contact.

They don't need to contact anyone, the source code for the uploading protocol is open-source, and available on the www.empeg.com site as the "emptool" utility. They can ask questions about it right here on the BBS.

I am trying to upload some m3u playlists, but EMPLODE does not seem to recognize them. Is this a supported feature?

Not sure. I don't think so. Everything in emplode is run on its own internal database and things like paths on your PC's hard disk are irrelevant to emplode.

Finally.. before I install in my car, what is the microphone jack used for?

Nothing... YET....

#58050 - 12/01/2002 02:01 Re: I'm New and Clueless.. How to sync, etc. [Re: tfabris]
f_devocht

Loc: Belgium
What about speed dependent volume control?

#58051 - 12/01/2002 04:16 Re: I'm New and Clueless.. How to sync, etc. [Re: f_devocht]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
This thread gives one method. Have a search, it's been discussed before.