Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#60563 - 18/01/2002 06:34 Wiggle wiggle...
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
I've now got 3 Mk2a units : two 10gig units (my very first unit I bought in september and a backup unit I purchased with the first price drop in october) and one 60 unit (thanks to the x-mas price drop). Anyway, since I've got 50g+ of mp3's I decided to start using the 60gig instead of my first 10gig I was using up to now. (I sold the 48gig travelstar I added myself - better edit my sig)

There are three things I noticed about the 60gig in comparison to the 10gigs :

1) There is in fact a much bigger gap between the handle and the facia. This has been extensively discussed in this thread. While this is certainly a step back when it comes to aesthetics, I don't really care about it that much.

2) I noticed that I can't screw the facia to the unit as hard as I did before because then the FF/next button gets stuck. This was never an issue with my 10gig. No biggie, since it's easily fixable by loosening the botton left hex screw.

3) (and this thing I DO find somewhat bothersome) Of course I click this 60gig unit in the sled of the 10gig that was installed in my car. I'm not going to replace the sled. After all, they are all alike, right ? Not really : 'cause now the unit "wiggles" in it's sled. It's not like it's banging from left to right, but still when I press the rotating button the left side pops a bit out and when I press one of the buttons to the left the same happens on the right.
It's not really _that_ bad, just thought I would mention it. Anybody else experienced this ?

#60564 - 18/01/2002 11:28 Re: Wiggle wiggle... [Re: BartDG]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Update : I've driven around for the first time with the new unit in the car. Damn : it's loose enough to rattle. And it does rattle. Now, I've checked this out with my previous mk2a and there was a difference : the 10 gig is "steady", in it's own sled AND in the sled of the 60gig. The 60gig sits "loose" in both sleds.
I'll probably open both units now and switch HD trays. That should solve it.

#60565 - 18/01/2002 13:57 Re: Wiggle wiggle... [Re: BartDG]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
2) I noticed that I can't screw the facia to the unit as hard as I did before because then the FF/next button gets stuck. This was never an issue with my 10gig. No biggie, since it's easily fixable by loosening the botton left hex screw.

Maybe you can't screw it on as tight becasue it holds more music in the same volume of space as the 10Gb.

#60566 - 19/01/2002 05:11 Re: Wiggle wiggle... [Re: davec]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

yeah, maybe, who knows?

But still, today I've read the "handle not flush with facia" thread again, and in it Hugo mentions that it's possible to loosen the 4 screws that hold the display board and then push the board a bit down. I did this and so now the "gap" is almost completely gone. It's not worse than with my 10gig anymore anyway.

Which still leaves me with the "rattle" problem. But I've nailed that one down too : with my 10gig mk2 (the one that doesn't rattle) the springs that are attached to the handle are more powerful. With my 10gig the handle is ALWAYS pulled back completely against the unit, "locking" it in it's sled. My 60gig had some room for movement, thus not "locking" it tightly enough into its sled, with a ratteling result.

Update : it's not the springs. Somehow, If I screw on the facia too tight, the handle gets blocked somewhat. I can't tell where or with what. So for now I've solved the problem by loosening the hex bolts. Strange, I never had this problem with my 10gig. But if such an easy solution solves it I really don't care.
I'll go and make a test drive now. On some REALLY rocky roads. Yay.

Edited by Archeon (19/01/2002 05:56)