Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#61672 - 21/01/2002 10:04 Sony stalk remote button assignments?
Sipho

Loc: Utah & Silicon Valley
I know this information must be somewhere but I can't find it. What functions are assigned to the various buttons on the Sony wired remote when it is connected through the tuner module? I have found assignments used by folks who have built their own interfaces but they differ from how the remote acts for me throught the tuner module.

#61673 - 21/01/2002 18:03 Re: Sony stalk remote button assignments? [Re: Sipho]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
On the CD that came with your tuner, which has the 1.03 software on it, is a small HTML document in the directory (\docs\stalk mappings.html) that shows the various button assignments in the various modes [like Player,Aux, Tuner].

You need to know which side of the Steering wheel you told the Empeg in Emplode was the side you had mounted the Stalk on
[its either RHS or LHS].

Then consult the html chart and you'll know what does what.

Heres a copy of that info in case you have misplaced the CD:

Tuner Module Steering Column Stalk Button Mappings
Note: When changing between left and right hand mounting, the off and att buttons, are not swapped because they are clearly marked.

(Might have to scroll down a bit past the blank lines, but table is there)

Button Usage Source Action
Off Hold Power off
Front (near) Press Bring up menu, select from menu
Underside Press Toggle shuffle
Rear (behind) Press Cancel menu one level
Att Press to toggle Mute
Source Press Change source
Source Hold Player Toggle info display
Source Hold Radio Nothing

Rotary Usage Source Action
Seek/AMS Short turn Player Next/previous track
Seek/AMS Short turn Radio Tune one step up/down
Seek/AMS Hold turn Player Fast forward/rewind
Seek/AMS Hold turn Radio Station search up/down
Preset/Disc Short turn Player Next/previous visual
Preset/Disc Short turn Radio Next/previous preset
Preset/Disc Long turn Player Faster next/previous visual
Preset/Disc Long turn Radio Nothing

#61674 - 21/01/2002 23:05 Re: Sony stalk remote button assignments? [Re: number6]
Sipho

Thanks!

Tony, should this go in the FAQ?

#61675 - 21/01/2002 23:41 Re: Sony stalk remote button assignments? [Re: Sipho]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Tony, should this go in the FAQ?

Although I could imagine it would be possible to integrate it into the button guide, I have a few problems with doing that:

- The Sony stalk is an aftermarket product not sold by Rio/Empeg and not shipped with the players. I'm not sure it's the FAQ's job to document it.

- If I decided to document it, then where do I draw the line? Other stalk controls? Other steering wheel controls? Other infrared remotes? I think we should stick with what we've already documented and not push it any farther.

- Didn't someone say it was on the CD already? Isn't that where the post came from? Why should I put it in the FAQ if it already came on the CD?

- Besides, how tough is it to push the buttons and see what they do? They're going to be some obvious extension of the existing IR/panel interface and don't necessarily need documenting. Wanna know what a button does? Push it and find out.

"And up until now I've pressed them all . . . except one. This one. Go ahead, Charlie."

#61676 - 21/01/2002 23:59 Re: Sony stalk remote button assignments? [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

The Sony stalk controller I think should go into the FAQ due to it being officially supported via the tuner, and advertised as such on RioHome.com. Anything beyond that, and no, no official button guide.

#61677 - 22/01/2002 00:01 Re: Sony stalk remote button assignments? [Re: tfabris]
Sipho

The mapping is defined by the tuner module which is an official (if unavailable) SB product.

The Sony RM-X4S is what SB says the tuner is designed to work with. Following your logic the FAQ wouldn't address adding third party hard drives.

Sure, its on the CD. Did you know it ws there? Does the FAQ only document things which are documented nowhere else?

Some of the responses (or lack there of) were not obvious. And what is this doing on the riocar.org site?

Now if you want to argue that it isn't a frequent question I might agree with you.

#61678 - 22/01/2002 03:06 Re: Sony stalk remote button assignments? [Re: Sipho]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
The sony stalk mapping is currently defined by the Player software, not the tuner [the tuner merely reports what button(s) you have pressed].

The Stalk mappings are 'official' - the only reason its on the CD as a HTML file and not the manual proper was because the document was created after the player was EOL'ed and the Technical Writer/documentation persons at SB were reassigned to other non-EOL'ed products [this according to rob I think].

I think the FAQ should:

1. Document where the file is on the 1.3 CD (\docs\Stalk Mappings.html)

2. Document what the stalk mappings are according to this document.

... and leave it at that.

If Mark Lords Hijack kernel becomes Stalk aware, then thats a different documentation issue in the same way that custom IR maps are now.

#61679 - 22/01/2002 03:11 Re: Sony stalk remote button assignments? [Re: tfabris]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Come on, Tony, it's officially supported UI device and its description belongs to your excellent button guide (after all, Rio remote button functions are more obvious than these, aren't they?).
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue