Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#62461 - 23/01/2002 22:57 Recent Stalls (Rio/Hijack 117)
grgcombs
addict

Loc: Dallas, TX
The past week I've had a few "stalls" I'll call them while listening in the car.

A song will come up (different ones, each time it's done this) and it will lock up the player ... sometimes I just have to hit a button to bring it back to life, other times I have to actually pull out the player (while it's on) and plug it back in several times to get it to unfreeze.

Usually it's the latter. It will lock up in a song for about thirty seconds before I yank it out. I let it sit a few seconds (capacitors discharge or whatever) and plug it back in. Usually it then hangs on the boot logo and I have to do this several times before it returns to normal operation.

I have yet been able to get it to do this while at home with a serial connection.

I finished an fsck on the drives and no errors came up.

Anyone ever seen this before? The only similar thing I've seen is where the IDE cable was loose and it would always hang at the boot logo ... but this is intermitent now ...

I'm lost ... it's done this about 6 times in the past 8 days. If it does it again, I'm backing out to the standard 2.0b7 I guess. I'm curious if it's software or hardware ... could be either I guess.

Greg

#62462 - 23/01/2002 23:07 Re: Recent Stalls (Rio/Hijack 117) [Re: grgcombs]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I would recommend downgrading to 1.03 to make sure it's not just one of the known lockup bugs in the 2.0 betas.

If it still happens after a load of 1.03, you're looking at disk or disk cable probably. Or maybe an in-car wiring problem where it's not getting enough juice to spin up the drive.

#62463 - 24/01/2002 00:47 Re: Recent Stalls (Rio/Hijack 117) [Re: grgcombs]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
It would be worth trying the latest version of HiJack first. I used to get several lockups a day but, touch wood, I haven't had any for a couple of weeks now. I have been keeping fairly current on HiJack versions, so try a newer version before giving up (there have been 24 releases of HiJack since the one you are using).

#62464 - 24/01/2002 06:58 Re: Recent Stalls (Rio/Hijack 117) [Re: andy]
grgcombs
addict

Loc: Dallas, TX
Someone's been working overtime ....

Greg