Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#132244 - 27/12/2002 11:05 weird noise emitted from empeg player !!!
MattCattell
new poster

Loc: UK, Tamworth
I've recently upgraded my 10 Gig player to add another 15 GB hard disk, but since then i've been having a few problems. At random a noise not unlike the novell firephaser command is emitted from the player not through the audio out, almost as if there is an onboard piezo buzzer. (this is kind of a whoop whoop whoop sound !!!)

I would try to record this sound to help a little but i can't predict when it's going to happen, I've tried erasing all my disks and rebuilding but i still get this annoying noise randomly emitted from my player. Does anyone have any idea what this could be ??

Cheers

Matt Cattell

My empeg is 10 Gig MK2a prevously working perfectly
Disk Added 15 GB Travelstar model : IC25NO15ATDA04-0

#132245 - 27/12/2002 12:16 Re: weird noise emitted from empeg player !!! [Re: MattCattell]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

Have you eliminated mechanical causes as the problem? Screws on all four corners with spacer washers, electrical tape on the tray? Does the sound only occur when the drive is spun up?

#132246 - 27/12/2002 12:37 Re: weird noise emitted from empeg player !!! [Re: pgrzelak]
MattCattell
new poster

Happy Christmas

I have the drive insolated with plastic sheeting in-between the caddy & disk but the sound doesn't appear to be mechanical, more of an alarm piezo based sound.

I've even tried monitoring the serial port for any error messages whilst the noise is emitted but nothing.

I currently running my player stripped trying to track down the problem.

Many Thanks

Matt Cattell

#132247 - 31/12/2002 06:33 Re: weird noise emitted from empeg player !!! [Re: MattCattell]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
If you have HiJack installed, you may have the temperature threshold set so that the heat from the new drive causes it to go past the alarm level.

Whether that would cause an on-board alarm or not, I don't know - I thought this was injected into the audio path as a beep?
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#132248 - 07/01/2003 17:13 Re: weird noise emitted from empeg player !!! [Re: schofiel]
MattCattell
new poster

I thought exactly that, so i tried setting the temperature warning upon hijack but this only gives a warning on the display.

Currently I have removed all the disk & insolated everything with electrical tape but I still occasionally get an annoying bleeping from my empeg but not as often as prevoiusly.

The conclusion i'm coming too is that this maybe a faulty disk.

Many Thanks

Matt Cattell

#132249 - 08/01/2003 18:52 Re: weird noise emitted from empeg player !!! [Re: MattCattell]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Could be a bad bearing in one of the drives... Only if it is during disk spin up.