Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#145567 - 24/02/2003 21:07 Empeg not responding to remote, help!
Glen_L

Loc: Elk Grove, CA
Hi all,

I've recently bid on and received an Empeg Mk2, Serial 090000980. Included was a NIB Kenwood KCA-R6A remote. After removing the plastic insert (presumably to keep the battery fresh) I tried to get the Empeg to respond. No dice.

Next, I tried using our TV remote to learn the signal to see if IR was being sent. No problem there. Turning to the FAQ, I saw that the battery was the most common problem. Bought a new battery at Radio Shack today, still no effect on the Empeg. I tried the digital camera technique and did see the IR flashing on button presses. It did not exhibit the "stuck on" behavior.

A couple more things about my particular situation. The Empeg is connected at home for the time being (still waiting on components for car install). The Empeg is running 1.02 software and I'm using 1.03 Emplode software. A null modem cable was not included in the auction, I knew that in advance. I'm waiting on CompUSA to send one. I know that the newer Emplode software includes an option to turn the remote off, but that shouldn't be possible with the versions I'm running, right? Are there any known remote bugs for the old software versions that I'm using?

The previous owner advertised the unit as "working condition" and stated that he bought the unit off a former SonicBlue/Empeg employee. The employee assured him that the remote would work with the player. The previous owner also mentioned that he's not technically savvy with these devices.

I'm worried that the IR receiver on the Empeg is shot. The unit is out of warranty, and I hear shipping to Cambridge is expensive. Is the IR receiver a part that can be ordered and replaced without shipping the Empeg? Would a kind soul in the Sacramento, CA area (I'm in Elk Grove) be willing to meet up sometime to test their remote on my unit so I can definitively rule out my remote?

Thanks for any help or ideas.

#145568 - 24/02/2003 21:16 Re: Empeg not responding to remote, help! [Re: Glen_L]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Would a kind soul in the Sacramento, CA area (I'm in Elk Grove) be willing to meet up sometime to test their remote on my unit so I can definitively rule out my remote?
I think you already have ruled out the remote, by seeing the light blinking in your video camera viewfinder.

I know that the newer Emplode software includes an option to turn the remote off, but that shouldn't be possible with the versions I'm running, right?
I don't remember which emplode version contained the checkbox to disable the Kenwood remote. But you can look at your config.ini and be sure. Capture your config.ini and paste it into a message here...

A null modem cable was not included in the auction, I knew that in advance. I'm waiting on CompUSA to send one.
... as soon as you get that null modem cable.

#145569 - 24/02/2003 22:54 Re: Empeg not responding to remote, help! [Re: tfabris]
Glen_L

Hi Tony, thanks for the reply. I'm afraid you're most likely right about the remote. I just thought it might be possible that my remote is defective and sending out the wrong signals. Probably just wishful thinking on my part, I know it's a long shot.

Out of curiousity, where is the IR receiver located on the Empeg? Above the volume knob? Do you know how feasible it would be to replace?

#145570 - 24/02/2003 23:08 Re: Empeg not responding to remote, help! [Re: Glen_L]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Above the volume knob?
Yes. Silver box with small square lens.

Do you know how feasible it would be to replace?
Dunno, never done it... But rule out the software thing first before worrying about that.

When you get your serial cable, upgrade it to the latest 2.0 version, and install hijack, and use its "Button Codes Display" feature to see if any ir signals from any remote are beeing seen by it.

#145571 - 25/02/2003 10:21 Re: Empeg not responding to remote, help! [Re: tfabris]
lockuplever
enthusiast

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Nice picture. Perfect!

#145572 - 25/02/2003 17:46 Re: Empeg not responding to remote, help! [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Feasable, but painful
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#145573 - 26/02/2003 07:52 Re: Empeg not responding to remote, help! [Re: schofiel]
Glen_L

Feasable, but painful
I was afraid of that. I have no experience and thus no business (de)soldering intricate electronics. I really hope the problem is in the software. Is it a common problem for the IR sensor to go south?

#145574 - 26/02/2003 09:54 Re: Empeg not responding to remote, help! [Re: tfabris]
mrfixit
enthusiast

I am pretty shure that the 1.03 software had the option to turn off the kenwood remote.
mk2a 40gig blue no illumination....yet
hijacked

#145575 - 28/02/2003 08:12 Re: Empeg not responding to remote, help! [Re: tfabris]
Glen_L

Hi all,

I got the null modem cable, installed the updated softwares, and tried out the remote. ALL IS WELL NOW I've also installed Hijack and have already customized the boot logo. I've yet to install it in the car though, so you may not have heard the last from me

Many thanks again, glad there was nothing drastic wrong with it.