Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#148941 - 16/03/2003 23:41 What makes the Empeg Better Than An Ipod?
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Yes i know the answer to this, but im trying to talk my friend out of buying a 20gig ipod, and getting an empeg. he wants the ipod for his new truck, and hook it up thru aux. can someone list me things to convicne him the empeg is a better way to go.

#148942 - 16/03/2003 23:51 Re: What makes the Empeg Better Than An Ipod? [Re: justinlarsen]
qbasic309

Well a few that come to mind are :

HD space. From what I know about the IPOD you cannot upgrade the 20gig HD at all and it sure doesn't have room
for 2 drives.

Next would have to be options and the display. Empeg is made to operate in the car and its alot more safe.

The empeg is an empeg. There is nothing to compare to it. The only thing the IPOD has over the empeg is size and mobility. Something the empeg wasn't designed around.

Ohh.. and ethernet support. I do believe that is a plus.

#148943 - 17/03/2003 00:05 Re: What makes the Empeg Better Than An Ipod? [Re: qbasic309]
justinlarsen
old hand

ya ive told him all that, personally i woudl rather have firewire over ethernet, but thats just me.

#148944 - 17/03/2003 00:09 Re: What makes the Empeg Better Than An Ipod? [Re: justinlarsen]
qbasic309

yeah more comps have ethernet though.

#148945 - 17/03/2003 00:35 Re: What makes the Empeg Better Than An Ipod? [Re: justinlarsen]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
im trying to talk my friend out of buying a 20gig ipod
Why? The iPod is a great product.

The Pearl is going to fly circles around it, but for now, it's great.

Edit: Oh, I see that he wants it as a car stereo. Well, for some people, it's still the right choice. If showing him the cool features of the empeg still doesn't convince him, then let him get the iPod. Some people just can't be convinced.

#148946 - 17/03/2003 00:50 Re: What makes the Empeg Better Than An Ipod? [Re: tfabris]
qbasic309

Yep. Tony is right. Some people can never be convinced.

What does the IPOD have over the Nomad Zen though? Atleast the HD's can be upgraded on the zen's.

#148947 - 17/03/2003 01:28 Re: What makes the Empeg Better Than An Ipod? [Re: justinlarsen]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Can you play empacman on an IPod at a red light?

#148948 - 17/03/2003 02:17 Re: What makes the Empeg Better Than An Ipod? [Re: canuckInOR]
justinlarsen
old hand

ya, thats the problem hes in AZ, and im in Cali here. I guess i can show him the mk1 video. even thou its old, its still effective.

#148949 - 17/03/2003 08:32 Re: What makes the Empeg Better Than An Ipod? [Re: justinlarsen]
furtive
old hand

Loc: London, UK
Battery life?

The iPod battery life isn't great and sticking it in a car is going to be no good on really long journeys unless it can be charged by the cars electrics somehow

#148950 - 17/03/2003 08:39 Re: What makes the Empeg Better Than An Ipod? [Re: furtive]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
can be charged by the cars electrics

I got a cigarette lighter to firewire cable from the Apple Store in Cupertino when I was last in the US. That works for keeping the iPod going.

#148951 - 17/03/2003 11:33 Re: What makes the Empeg Better Than An Ipod? [Re: justinlarsen]
elvis
enthusiast

Loc: Arizona USA
in az? If he's in phoenix i'd be willing to give him a 10minute tour.

#148952 - 17/03/2003 14:24 Re: What makes the Empeg Better Than An Ipod? [Re: justinlarsen]
TigerJimmy
old hand

I don't think the empeg is "better" than the iPod. To me its like asking why a tamborine is better than a telescope.

I love the empeg. It's incredible. I've said before that I think it is the finest example of design beauty in hardware/software integration that I have seen (the iPod is good too, but not as good). But, I can't put the empeg in my pocket and walk around the lakes with it. Nor is it really the right choice for motorcycling. Or long airplane rides. You get the idea.

For those applications, I think it is really hard to beat the iPod/etymotics ER-4 combination.

I don't have an iPod but I got my girlfriend one for christmas last year. She is not a computer junkie like me, but she loves her iPod. I helped her out by ripping her CD collection so that she can manage the iPod contents. I've played around with it a bit and here are my observations:

- The headphones suck for comfort, but the unit has good sound quality.

- The battery life isn't too bad, considering.

- It is a beautiful design and can be operated with one hand.

- Portability is cool.

- The user interface, while simple and elegant in its own way, is not as powerful as the empeg. Or, maybe I just can't figure it out. I can't figure out, for instance, how to make up a playlist ad hoc by "append/insert/enqueue" like I can with the empeg. I do this pretty often, actually. Maybe I want to hear Dire Straits shuffled with J.J. Cale, for example. I can't figure out how to do that on the iPod. I can't even figure out how to switch from shuffle to unshuffled easily. Sure, you can play albums (or prebuilt playlists) quite easily, but it isn't really that good for true random-access music playing. Maybe I haven't spent enough time with it.

Other things I miss when using the iPod UI:
- ad hoc playlists (mentioned above)
- only random suffle modes (no least frequently)
- no enqueue/insert/append that I can figure out
- no tweak order functionality (this is the coolest thing about the empeg software, and unique to it AFAIK).
- smaller capacity (actually, the least of the issues, IMHO).
- The windows software sucks ass. (yes, I know about ephpod and that's what my GF is using).

I would like to have an iPod but I see it as supplemental to the empeg. If I could only have one I would have the empeg. I keep waiting for something better from our empeg visionaries...

Jim

#148953 - 17/03/2003 15:40 Re: What makes the Empeg Better Than An Ipod? [Re: justinlarsen]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
I've owned an iPod once, but I've sold it after only owning it for one week. Bottom line for me was that the iPod's UI was too dumb for my taste. Yes, the Empeg has spoiled me. Now I'm still waiting for Pearl.

This is was I posted about it back then.

#148954 - 17/03/2003 16:25 Re: What makes the Empeg Better Than An Ipod? [Re: justinlarsen]
tracerbullet
addict

Loc: Minnesota
For me it's simply much more convenient. I had an Archos Jukebox for a few weeks in my car until I got the empeg. Sure, it did what I needed - played MP3's, and lots of them.

But, for a car stereo, here's what the empeg did better -
* Easy to read without picking up out of the changeholder each time (I'm sure I'd have crashed by now if I still had the Archos)
* Looks cool! (I'm not being facetious, it really does. Much more than a hand-held with a long wire sticking in the change tray)
* Hard drive space. Well, mine's a 60 Gig, but sure is nice fitting ALL of my CD's onto it, instead of always missing the one I really want to hear at the time.

The ipod is designed to take to school, on a trip, etc. All things an empeg could do but isn't designed for. However for a car stereo, sure the ipod could do most of it, but it's nowhere near as good.

I think it comes down to the primary use of it.

#148955 - 17/03/2003 16:41 Re: What makes the Empeg Better Than An Ipod? [Re: TigerJimmy]
Happy Birthday Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
I don't think the empeg is "better" than the iPod. To me its like asking why a tamborine is better than a telescope.

I can see and hear a tambourine. The stars are too far away to make noise.

#148956 - 17/03/2003 18:30 Re: What makes the Empeg Better Than An Ipod? [Re: justinlarsen]
Redrum
old hand

I like the Empeg over the Riot (don't have and Ipod) because of how I listen to music. I like to play my 2500 songs (all singles) at random. Then when I hear an artist I'm in the mood for I press the "Aritist" buton on the remote and enqueue the rest of their music.

Riot does not do this and Ipod (from the descriptions) apparently doesn't either.

I may buy pearl just for this feature. If it has it (anyone listening)…..

#148957 - 17/03/2003 22:21 Re: What makes the Empeg Better Than An Ipod? [Re: Redrum]
justinlarsen
old hand

Well ya thats just the thing, i own an ipod myself. its great for walks, working out, and genreal potable music listing. But the only time i use it in a car, is when im in a differnt car other than my primary, and i hate it. He dsont plan on using it other than stricly in the car. I should have restated mypost to "why is the empeg better than an ipod for I.C.E.:)

#148958 - 18/03/2003 14:11 Re: What makes the Empeg Better Than An Ipod? [Re: justinlarsen]
bodybag
addict

Loc: Southern California
I've got both an Empeg (actually, many Empeg's) and an iPod. I can tell you right now that the 20gb storage on the iPod is a big problem if your music library is bigger than 20gb. I have almost 40gb worth of Mp3's and trying to figure out what you do want and what you don't want can be incredibly frustrating (Aarrgghh!!!). When you consider that the iPod uses Music Match to send and arrange music, it's makes it an even larger hassle. If you want more reasons for having an Empeg as an in-car unit over the iPod, you can add the countless playback features the Empag has and the iPod doesn't. Just the fact that the iPod doesn't have an "insert, append, enqueue, replace" option is enough for me. Besides the iPods lack of playback features, who wants to have some dangling wiring coming from their dash all the time so they can hook-up thier Mp3 player.

Don't get me wrong, the iPod is a nice unit and I bought mine for a few specific purposes, but I would never consider it to be any part of I.C.E. $.02