Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#171896 - 23/07/2003 12:02 help w/empire (palantir)
m6400

Loc: Erie, PA
ok, first of all, im pretty much linux illiterate. so could somebody please give me specific step-by-step instructions on how to install empire on my empeg? i already have hijack installed and im pretty sure i have the palm end of it right, but i dont know where to begin for the empeg side of things. i've looked at the site but its greek to me. so please, speak slowly and use small words.

#171897 - 23/07/2003 12:28 Re: help w/empire (palantir) [Re: m6400]
maurij

Linux illiterate to linux illiterate,
Here is how I did it. Perhaps someone can offer a more efficient way, but I closed my eyes one day and just did it.
Here are the website instructions with my commentary
1. Download the empire (version 0.20) application.
2. Install the latest Hijack kernel from Mark Lord's website. This kernel includes the IrDA support you will need to run Empire.
I assume you’ve gotten this far. However, check to make sure you have the developer’s image on the empeg. Then don’t forget to re-install hijack (doh)
3. Install OpenOBEX libraries (included in empire.zip)
Copy all the lib/* files from empire.zip to your /lib directory on the empeg. You will have to create a few symbolic links from the command line on the Empeg:
Do this using an ftp client, but make sure your empeg is hooked up to your computer using a serial port and using hyperterminal monitor what’s going on. Reference this faq entry on using hyperterminal and calling up linux shell prompts
http://www.riocar.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=7&faqent=82#82
then you will need to make sure you are in the correct directory
cd /lib
should do this
then just copy and paste the following symbolic links:
empeg:/lib# ln -s libopenobex-1.0.so.0.0.0 libopenobex.so
empeg:/lib# ln -s libopenobex-1.0.so.0.0.0 libopenobex-1.0.so.0
the files in the /lib directory should now look like this:
check to see if the files in your /lib directory look like this in your ftp client. I could not figure out how to get this file view in hyperterminal.
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Feb 7 00:45 libopenobex-1.0.so.0 -> libopenobex-1.0.so.0.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 28796 Feb 7 00:45 libopenobex-1.0.so.0.0.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 40328 Feb 7 00:45 libopenobex.a
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 744 Feb 7 00:45 libopenobex.la
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Feb 7 00:45 libopenobex.so -> libopenobex-1.0.so.0.0.0
Make sure the permissions for the files are set up correctly. At the command line:
chmod 755 libopenobex*
do this in hyperterminal after you write in the symbolic links
should do fine for all the lib files (this will make all the permissions rwxr-xr-x).
4. Copy empire, irattach, sleep, and start_empire from the empire.zip package onto your Empeg. I place all the binaries in the /usr/local/bin directory. These can be placed anywhere you like, but you will have to modify the start_empire shell script to reflect the new location if you are not using /usr/local/bin.

Copy the files over using ftp then in hyperterminal type:
Cd /usr/local/bin
If you type
Ls
Then you can see the new files you copied across
Then typer
Chmod 755
in hyperterminal to set the permission in the /usr/local/bin directory
Make sure the permissions for the files are set up correctly. At the command line, use chmod to change the permissions for all the newly uploaded files to 755 (rwxr-xr-x).
Using Emplode do the rest
5. Modify your config.ini with the following:
6. [output]
7. notify=1
8. [hijack]
;@EXEC_ONCE /bin/bash -c "/usr/local/bin/start_empire 10 &"
9. Restart the player and you are ready to rock.

#171898 - 23/07/2003 12:32 Re: help w/empire (palantir) [Re: maurij]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I could not figure out how to get this file view in hyperterminal.
ls -l /lib

#171899 - 23/07/2003 12:42 Re: help w/empire (palantir) [Re: m6400]
maurij

Linux illiterate to linux illiterate,
Here is how I did it. Perhaps someone can offer a more efficient way, but I closed my eyes one day and just did it.
Here are the website instructions with my commentary

1. Download the empire (version 0.20) application.
2. Install the latest Hijack kernel from Mark Lord's website. This kernel includes the IrDA support you will need to run Empire.

I assume you’ve gotten this far. However, check to make sure you have the developer’s image on the empeg. Then don’t forget to re-install hijack (doh)

3. Install OpenOBEX libraries (included in empire.zip)
Copy all the lib/* files from empire.zip to your /lib directory on the empeg. You will have to create a few symbolic links from the command line on the Empeg:

Do this using an ftp client, but make sure your empeg is hooked up to your computer using a serial port and using hyperterminal monitor what’s going on. Reference this faq entry on using hyperterminal and calling up linux shell prompts

then you will need to make sure you are in the correct directory

cd /lib

should do this. then just copy and paste the following symbolic links:

empeg:/lib# ln -s libopenobex-1.0.so.0.0.0 libopenobex.so
empeg:/lib# ln -s libopenobex-1.0.so.0.0.0 libopenobex-1.0.so.0

the files in the /lib directory should now look like this:

check this using your ftp client (btw i used fillzilla and thought it worked really well: faq on ftp ). I could not figure out how to get this file view in hyperterminal.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Feb 7 00:45 libopenobex-1.0.so.0 -> libopenobex-1.0.so.0.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 28796 Feb 7 00:45 libopenobex-1.0.so.0.0.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 40328 Feb 7 00:45 libopenobex.a
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 744 Feb 7 00:45 libopenobex.la
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Feb 7 00:45 libopenobex.so -> libopenobex-1.0.so.0.0.0

Make sure the permissions for the files are set up correctly. At the command line:
chmod 755 libopenobex*

do this in hyperterminal after you write in the symbolic links

should do fine for all the lib files (this will make all the permissions rwxr-xr-x).

4. Copy empire, irattach, sleep, and start_empire from the empire.zip package onto your Empeg. I place all the binaries in the /usr/local/bin directory. These can be placed anywhere you like, but you will have to modify the start_empire shell script to reflect the new location if you are not using /usr/local/bin.

cd /usr/local/bin

If you type

ls

Then you can see the new files you copied across

Then type

chmod 755

in hyperterminal to set the permission in the /usr/local/bin directory

Make sure the permissions for the files are set up correctly. At the command line, use chmod to change the permissions for all the newly uploaded files to 755 (rwxr-xr-x).

Using Emplode do the rest

5. Modify your config.ini with the following:

6. [output]

7. notify=1

8. [hijack]
;@EXEC_ONCE /bin/bash -c "/usr/local/bin/start_empire 10 &"

9. Restart the player and you are ready to rock.

hope this helps

#171900 - 23/07/2003 12:43 Re: help w/empire (palantir) [Re: maurij]
maurij

sorry for the double post, i didn't realise the first went through.

hopefully the second one will read easier

#171901 - 23/07/2003 12:44 Re: help w/empire (palantir) [Re: wfaulk]
maurij

Ah!

now i'll know for the next install

#171902 - 23/07/2003 12:53 Re: help w/empire (palantir) [Re: maurij]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
cd /usr/local/bin

If the /usr/local/bin directory does not exist, you will get an error when typing 'cd /usr/local/bin'. You can create /usr/local/bin by typing 'mkdir /usr/local/bin' at the command prompt in HyperTerminal.

#171903 - 23/07/2003 13:21 Re: help w/empire (palantir) [Re: m6400]
cushman
veteran

I've updated the Palantir website with more detailed instructions. Could you check those out and let me know which parts (if any) are confusing? If there are sections that are unclear, I will rewrite them.

#171904 - 23/07/2003 15:02 Re: help w/empire (palantir) [Re: maurij]
m6400

first, thanks a bunch, this helps alot. there were a few things still that i had to play around with before i finaly figured out what i was supposed to be doing (the "oohhhhhhhh" kinds of moments such as trying to figure out why hyperterminal didnt seem to be doing anything......then i pressed "Q")

still having problems though. when i:
empeg:/lib# mkdir /usr/local/bin

i get
mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/bin': No such file or directory

but everything up to that point, once id played with it a bunch, seems to have gone ok

#171905 - 23/07/2003 15:34 Re: help w/empire (palantir) [Re: m6400]
cushman
veteran

You might have to:

mkdir /usr/local

first. Do a

ls -l /usr

and see if a "local" directory exists.

#171906 - 23/07/2003 21:39 Re: help w/empire (palantir) [Re: cushman]
m6400

that did it! thanks everybody for the help
Mark, you might want to add to your site that you need to have the developer version installed (and maybe mention the whole "press q" thing for people like me) that and mentioning making the /usr/local then the /usr/local/bin directories should clear up any other problems that people have, also, at first i was a bit unsure of what i was supposed to be doing in the ftp client and what i was supposed to be doing in hypertermnal, once i figured those things out it was cake. so thanks again for all the help everybody, and thanks Mark for writing such a cool program!

#171907 - 24/07/2003 03:33 Re: help w/empire (palantir) [Re: cushman]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
You might have to: mkdir /usr/local first.

Or add the -p flag to the mkdir command (mkdir -p /usr/local/bin). It makes mkdir create any missing directories "on the way".

Haven't tested that the mkdir command on the empeg supports it though, but I'd be surprised if it didn't...

/Michael

#171908 - 24/07/2003 06:39 Re: help w/empire (palantir) [Re: mtempsch]
cushman
veteran

Or add the -p flag to the mkdir command (mkdir -p /usr/local/bin).

What a great tip! This is going on the webpage.

Mark, you might want to add to your site that you need to have the developer version installed

This is now added.

(and maybe mention the whole "press q" thing for people like me)

I've linked to the FAQ which has instructions on how to do this in the Hyperterminal secion.

that and mentioning making the /usr/local then the /usr/local/bin directories should clear up any other problems that people have

Yup, mtempsch just made that easier!

thanks Mark for writing such a cool program!

No problem, thanks for the feedback!