Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#173759 - 04/08/2003 18:11 Turn signal causes battery icon in my Jeep!
fusto
addict

Loc: Lummi Island, WA
My empeg is installed in my 99 Jeep Wrangler, and everything works fine 95% of the time, but every now and then, when I flip on the turn signal, my empeg goes blank and comes back with the battery icon.
Anybody else have any similar occurrences?
I'm wondering if maybe I have a short in my turn signal stalk or something. (It happens signalling in both directions)
I'd have to say its probably somewhere around every 9th or 10th signal.
I tried wiggling the stalk and turning the signal off and on several times, but its un-reproducable in this way.
Lately when it's been happening I take a quick look at my voltage gauge but its always happily resting on 13.8. I dont have a lot of extra crap running, except for the amp and the empeg itself. Amp is wired directly to the battery, and the empeg is wired into the factory harness using a chrysler specific adapter.

Other than this one thing it works completely as advertised.
Oh, I'm also forcing DC 'cause my empeg stopped detecting where it was plugged in. I assume due to a faulty AC sensor switch. Is support still repairing stuff like this?

I read this, but nothing really jumped out at me.
Anybody have any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Z~

#173760 - 04/08/2003 19:05 Re: Turn signal causes battery icon in my Jeep! [Re: fusto]
DeadFire
addict

I used to get the reboot/battery icon quite a bit when I first installed my empeg. It happened randomly, and there was no specific thing I could do to reproduce it. I decide that the car's stock wiring just wasn't up to the task (after some advice from some helpful people here on the bbs), and wired the empeg's constant straight to the battery. I used 12AWG and put an automotive in line fuse holder close to the battery end. I Haven't had a problem since.

If your trouble were due to some electrical problem in your Jeep, then I would expect other things to start behaving oddly, as well. But if everything else is fine, then you can either try to track down the problem, or just bypass it and choose not to care.

#173761 - 04/08/2003 19:33 Re: Turn signal causes battery icon in my Jeep! [Re: fusto]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Oh, I'm also forcing DC 'cause my empeg stopped detecting where it was plugged in. I assume due to a faulty AC sensor switch. Is support still repairing stuff like this?

If you get the new socket then I can fit it for you.

#173762 - 04/08/2003 19:46 Re: Turn signal causes battery icon in my Jeep! [Re: fusto]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
I had a variety of similar problems in my Jeep (2000 Wrangler) using the factory wiring harness. I wired the empegs constant lead directly to the battery as someone else suggested and haven't had any problems since. It also cured a pesky alternator whine sound that I was never able to completely get rid of before. Just use 12 gage or so wire and be sure to put a fuse as close as possible to the battery in case something shorts out. You may also want to bypass the harness ground. I grounded to the metal frame supporting the dash more or less right behind the empeg which has worked fine so far.

-Mike

#173763 - 05/08/2003 16:10 Re: Turn signal causes battery icon in my Jeep! [Re: mcomb]
fusto
addict

Oh, hey.... well that certainly helps.

Ill try rewiring the 12v supply and see what happens.

Thanks!
Z~

#173764 - 05/08/2003 16:14 Re: Turn signal causes battery icon in my Jeep! [Re: genixia]
fusto
addict

hmm... I may have to take you up on this offer.
I'll soon be living in Portland, ME, which is a mere hop, skip and jump from the Boston area. (Although since I'm currently on the Cape I guess that also qualifies as a h-s-j.)
Any idea where I might be able to get a.. uh... AC sensor switch?
Thanks!
Z~