Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#171316 - 18/07/2003 12:31 robricc's sleds, shonky's harness and tuner
bjoern

Loc: Regensburg, Germany
I'm about to install my Empeg into my Miata using one of robricc's sleds and shonky's harnesses/connectors. What size bolt goes in the sled and how do I keep the connector wiggeling?
My original sled is in my other car, so I can't tell where the tuner pins go and what type of connector the wires go to, without taking it out. Where can I get a schematic?

Thanks!

#171317 - 18/07/2003 14:18 Re: robricc's sleds, shonky's harness and tuner [Re: bjoern]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
To the best of my recollection, the sleds connector doesn't wiggle, but the one on the empeg does. Pin layout for the MKII/IIa connector is available at the riocar.org website. Do read through the comments below the listing...

The center hole in the sled is M4 (4 mm outer thread diameter, standard pitch)

/Michael

#171318 - 21/07/2003 08:09 Re: robricc's sleds, shonky's harness and tuner [Re: mtempsch]
bjoern

I found the pin layout, thanks! I had already found the center hole (very conveniently, the oem radio's rubber thingie fit right in there).

I now also have found a bolt that fits the thread for the connector, but the notches in the connector don't exactly line up with the sled's connector shape. I don't think it's critical, but has anybody else had the same problem?

#171319 - 21/07/2003 08:24 Re: robricc's sleds, shonky's harness and tuner [Re: bjoern]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Didn't really look at mine when I did a transplant with the harness all hooked up in the car (pulled out original sled, unscrewed the connector and then screwed it to the new sled without really looking - less then 10 minutes all in all...)

IIRC someone mentioned something about the connector "snapping in place" as he torqued down the bolts... As I didn't really look when I did mine it's a bit hard to visualize exactly what you mean, and if the "snapping" thing might be related or not...

/Michael

#171320 - 21/07/2003 09:35 Re: robricc's sleds, shonky's harness and tuner [Re: mtempsch]
Lupo

Loc: AC, Germany
Hi,
I had the same "problem". It seems to me that the hole itself is more or less the right size, but the screw holes are slightly displaced to one side. I just widened the connector hole a bit (1mm at most) with a Dremel. I have everything mounted in my car and unfortunately I didn't take any pics of my new harness...but I can tell you, It took me around 2:30 hours to make it...but it was worth it! The only thing that I'm not happy about is that I didn't have coloured wires, so all the cables that come from the ISO connector are red... :P

side note: I didn't put a fuse on the empeg harness; I played with a with a multimeter and found out that my car has a fuse for the radio only on the same wire where the empeg has his; so I just replaced that one with a 3A fuse. Is that allright or do you think I'm playing with fire?

#171321 - 21/07/2003 12:19 Re: robricc's sleds, shonky's harness and tuner [Re: Lupo]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

I'll assume that the original fuse was larger than 3A, so capacity wise on the wire you're perfectly OK. The only thing missing then would be the noise filter that's on the original harness.

/Michael

#171322 - 28/07/2003 05:45 Re: robricc's sleds, shonky's harness and tuner [Re: mtempsch]
bjoern

And in my install, it turned out that noise filter was essential! Without it I had horrible alternator whine!
I still couldn't find any bolts to bolt the harness up to the sled, though. Anybody know the specific details? It seems to be an M2 bolt, with about 10mm length. Where can I get that in the US? Neither HomeDepot, Fry's or RadioShack had any. Sears? ACE?

#171323 - 28/07/2003 07:33 Re: robricc's sleds, shonky's harness and tuner [Re: bjoern]
Lupo

Loc: AC, Germany
Yep, the original fuse was 15A.
I didn't notice any differences between the two wirings; bad alternator whine both ways. I still have to try to ground the empeg on the same spot as the amp, maybe it helps?

#171324 - 11/08/2003 23:49 Re: robricc's sleds, shonky's harness and tuner [Re: bjoern]
Elon
new poster

Does anyone have any specs on the noise filter? I found an inline fuse holder easily, but it doesn't come w/ a noise filter. I don't see why I couldn't just add one, if I knew exactly what to look for. Can anyone help to lead the blind?

Thanks,
Elon