Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#197300 - 08/01/2004 20:12 Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head?
joe187
journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts
I am just curious how many people have just the Empeg installed in their vehicle, vs a dual install of both the Empeg and a CD or MP3 disc playing head with radio? As much as I love my Empegs, and I am obnoxious about showing them off, I find myself a little handcuffed by the lack of ability to pop in a CD. I also would like the satellite radio option. Is this a common story or am I selling out?

I have a 2003 Excursion. Yes it is obscenely large and an environmental nightmare, but so am I (at least the large part, and my wife would probably agree about the environmental part...). I only have 1 and a half DIN spaces, so if I want to have 2 heads, anybody have a solution? Is there an after market box for a DIN space that fits on the transmission hump or something?

Thanks All!

#197301 - 08/01/2004 21:39 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: joe187]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I find it very amusing that your Excursion has 1.5 DINs and my Mustang has 2. My vehicle could probably fit inside yours, yet they couldn't find room for an extra half of a freakin' DIN slot somewhere in that massive dash?

Seriously though, you'll hear various opinions on this. I actually went the 2 DIN route since I didn't want to mess with an external amplifier, running wires all over the place, etc. I took as much advantage of the existing wiring as possible by using a separate head unit. My Kenwood head unit has a CD player, but I think I've used it a total of maybe 20 times since I installed my empeg 3+ years ago. Satellite radio doesn't do much for me, since the only radio I really listen to is local sports talk. For the CD thing, you could always hook a portable CD player up to your empeg's AUX connection in the back, couldn't you? Not very elegant, but maybe a portable CD player would fit in that extra half DIN?

Or, better yet, just sacrifice one of your 12 seats and put a rack-mount stereo system in it.

#197302 - 08/01/2004 22:29 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: joe187]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I am just curious how many people have just the Empeg installed in their vehicle, vs a dual install of both the Empeg and a CD or MP3 disc playing head with radio?

I have a dual install -- the empeg, plus a high-end Clarion HX-D10 AM/FM/CD player. The Clarion is preamp-out only, so both units run into my amplifiers by means of a Sony XA-39II switching relay.

That said... I had to pull over to the side of the road the other day, because my empeg was at home doing a 60 GB synch and for the first time in two and a half years, I turned on the Clarion. I had to dig the instruction manual out of the glovebox to figure out how to play the radio (I never carry CDs with me!) and after a frustrating few minutes I punched enough buttons on the damn thing, pretty much randomly after a while, that I got a radio station playing on it and didn't dare touch it the rest of the way home.

So, yes, I have a dual install. Useful? Not very.

tanstaafl.

#197303 - 08/01/2004 23:02 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: joe187]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
My previous car had a 2 DIN slot dash, but I only used the empeg in it, though with tuner module - mainly used to receive RDS Traffic Announcements...

I'm currently in the process of installation in my new car (Peugeot 206, probably small enough to park in your rear seat ), and it'll also be empeg+tuner only (it's a one DIN slot dash). With a bit of work one could probably move the stock multipurpose display down to just above the ashtray, and stuff another DIN unit in the space vacated...

/Michael

#197304 - 08/01/2004 23:09 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: joe187]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I have two head units because it's easier than messing with an amp and if I go someplace I don't want to bring the empeg into I can leave it at home and not have to drive in total silence.

I have a mazda 3 which has a odd shaped stereo and there is no install trim kit so right now I just have the two head units strapped into the hole until I figure out how to make something.

Matt

#197305 - 09/01/2004 00:35 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: msaeger]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
I go someplace I don't want to bring the empeg into I can leave it at home and not have to drive in total silence.
I went the single unit way, and I'm now kinda wishing that I did it the other way, just because of this. Most of my drives are 5-10 minutes long, and I find I just don't bother (or I forget) to bring the empeg with me. What would be really cool is if there were a small insert I could plug into the sled that would let me listen to the very last station I tuned the tuner module into. Then I could leave that plugged in when I bring the empeg in the house.

#197306 - 09/01/2004 01:45 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: joe187]
Yonzie
journeyman

Loc: Denmark
I don't actually have anything audio in the car ATM (new car), but when I get around to it (will be seriously hacking up my dash), it will be Empeg + other HU.

1) I have a hard time living without a volume knob (mk1), buttons just don't work for me.
2) SQ competing needs a CD - and sometimes it's nice to have.
#00182, 10GB, Amber, Denmark, Peugeot 206, Rebuilding my stereo - great things to come

#197307 - 09/01/2004 07:41 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: Yonzie]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I run two head units for the same reasons these other guys do. I already had a Pioneer unit that supported AUX input (with adapter.) The cheapest way for me to add my empeg was to just pipe it through the existing system. Plus, I do still use the radio occasionally, especially when my empeg is out of commission. The CD player comes in handy occasionally too, but not too often.

Check my gallery to see what I did with my Blazer, which is also 1.5 DIN. You could probably do something similar with a commercial DIN under-dash kit.

#197308 - 09/01/2004 08:14 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: joe187]
edsmiata
addict

Loc: New Jersey
I have the Empeg and a Sony cd/mp3 player installed in my car.....i sold my tuner module for a nice gain so the real reason was to access the tuner in the sony (had the sony before the empeg)...it is much better than the Empeg tuner so i was not disappointed...i run the line outs to the aux in on the empeg.....although i can play cd's..i rarely do.....but..i would like to have the option of runing the sony when the empeg is going through some housekeeping chores...but that is not a priority!

#197309 - 09/01/2004 09:23 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: joe187]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Two head units -- I ain't rich like many of you here. The JVC head unit has CD-player, AM/FM radio, 25W+25W amplifier, and AUX-IN jacks (RCA).

The Empeg plays through the AUX-IN of the JVC deck, good enough for me. In this cold climate (-30C this morning), I don't leave the Empeg in the car at all (always good advice), and the self-contained JVC is always there for radio without having to spin up any hard drives.

My project to use a CF card/adapter for /dev/hda in the Empeg is temporarily on hold, as the hardware is currently being used to prototype an unrelated embedded set-up for a client.

Cheers

#197310 - 09/01/2004 09:45 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: joe187]
bbowman
enthusiast

Loc: Virginia, USA
All you have to do is ...

cut cut cut!

Actually, in my car there seemed to be a 1.75 din hole so I didn't have to cut very much and on the front it doesn't look like there was any cutting at all.

I'm really happy to have a back-up system for when the empeg stays home. Not to mention, when a "guest" comes nto the car with a CD he/she wants to hear, it helps to actually have a CD player.
Still looking for a good way to install in a 2010 BMW 3 series with iDrive/NAV

#197311 - 09/01/2004 09:53 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: joe187]
skibum
enthusiast

Loc: Swindon, UK
I my last car (Renault Laguna) it had a spare din and was a company car that I only had 1 year left on it, so I went for the 2 HU option.

My new car (another Laguna) should arrive in 4 weeks. Now however it doesn't have a spare din slot (they filled it with Sat Nav), so although it's also a company car I'm going to replace the HU with the empeg and also get an amp. Mainly cos I can then use the stalk controls, which will save me messing about with the remote or pressing buttons. Might also try hooking the display upto the nice colour lcd screen that the satnav uses as the factory cd/tuner displays stuff on that.

#197312 - 09/01/2004 10:13 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: edsmiata]
russmeister
enthusiast

Loc: South Carolina
.....but..i would like to have the option of runing the sony when the empeg is going through some housekeeping chores...but that is not a priority!

Meatball man and I did work up a little pocket that allows you to listen to an Aux input through the Empeg. My Sony didn't have an AUX in so I used the empeg as the main unit but I wanted to keep the Sony for playing CD's as well as the occassional radio (mostly talk radio).

It's not a great pic but this was taken at the Ohio 2003 meet just a few months ago. I'll take some more pics when I get a chance and post them.

thx to dbrasher for the pic.

#197313 - 09/01/2004 10:17 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: joe187]
furtive
old hand

Loc: London, UK
When I get round to getting my empeg installed again it will be on it's own with no other headunit

#197314 - 09/01/2004 12:03 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: joe187]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I've been empeg-only for as long as I've owned the empeg.

Reason: The whole point of getting an empeg was so that I don't have to carry CDs with me. Why would I want a CD player?

Recently, though, I broke down and put a portable CD player in the glove box and ran the aux-in wires someplace I could reach them. That satisfies the need to occasionally pop in a not-yet-ripped CD, or a CD from a passenger. However, this happens very rarely, at most once or twice a year.

If you are planning on doing a full two-stereo installation just so you can play the occasional onesie-twosie CD, I think that's overkill. I think you're much better off putting the portable CD player in the glove box and using it when it's needed.

There are other advantages to going empeg-only:

- No heat from the adjacent CD player to ruin your empeg's hard disks.

- No confusion with which-thing-needs-to-be-turned-on and which-input-is-selected.

- The empeg is 100 percent theft proof when you pull it from your dash. CD players no longer have that feature and will still get stolen (I once had a removable faceplate stereo stolen even though the face was off).

- The empeg can be easily stealth-installed as pictured here, reducing the chance of theft even further.

- Fewer components in your installation means less chance of a ground loop in the wiring.

- The empeg is much nicer-looking in the dash of most cars, with its clean simple design, compared to all the gaudy aftermarket CD players with too many buttons and too much text on the faceplate.

#197315 - 09/01/2004 12:31 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

The biggest reason for dual-head unit has to be for the AM/FM tuner, since they're nearly impossible to obtain for the Empeg itself.

Cheers

#197316 - 09/01/2004 12:43 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: mlord]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Hey, I've noticed Patrick is trying to ship more tuners recently.

And I rarely listen to the radio, too.

#197317 - 09/01/2004 12:48 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: joe187]
joe187
journeyman

Thanks Everybody,

As mentioned in a couple of replys, this idea came about as a result of forgetting the unit when I had brought it in out of the cold. The high here today is going to be about 7 degrees farenheit, so ar night or while at the office its kind of wise to pull the Empeg out. I also am a little frustrated with the radio, so I think I am going to do this. I have external amps so the Sony switcher will be necessary, and I think that under dash DIN might be the answer, although I would like to see about cutting the dash to fit a second DIN. Anybody know a good install guy north of Boston?

As far as the size of the Excursion is concerned, it is necessary. The relationship between the Peugeot and my Excursion is a pretty accurate representation of the size difference between me and a normal guy - I'm 6' 9" and 375 lbs. I always feel like I have to apologize to all the big SUV haters out there, but truth be told I fit in nothing else. I am not nuts about the fact that I put about 60 gallons of gas in it a week. However, if anybody ever needs to tow an aircraft carrier...

I guess I could install my other Empeg in the 2nd DIN, and have one for the front and one for the rear passengers. The back seat is in another time zone anyway, so maybe it'll work.

Thanks y'all.

Joe

#197318 - 09/01/2004 12:58 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Agreed! You probably don't receive CBC RadioOne down that way!

How are you with guitar notes?

#197319 - 09/01/2004 13:14 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: joe187]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Have you ever owned anything but an SUV? Personally, I find that full-size sedans like a Buick LeSabre, for instance, have larger interiors.

#197320 - 09/01/2004 13:16 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: joe187]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

so ar night or while at the office its kind of wise to pull the Empeg out.
It's wise to pull the empeg out any time you're not in the car. We hear about too many stolen empegs on this BBS.

#197321 - 09/01/2004 15:18 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: wfaulk]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Personally, I find that full-size sedans like a Buick LeSabre, for instance, have larger interiors.
Aye, likewise. Heck, I was flabbergasted when I sat in the driver's seat of a Mini -- it was more spacious than my truck.

#197322 - 09/01/2004 15:40 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: canuckInOR]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I'm not near as big as joe187, but at 6'4", 240, I have problems with a lot of cars too. Additionally, a lot of big men have problems with their knees, especially if they have played sports. The problem I have with most of the sedan types is that even when there is enough room, getting down into them and back out is bad on my bum knee (injured playing intramural soccer in college.) I can see that as a good reason to not get a LeSabre or something like that.

#197323 - 09/01/2004 19:36 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: joe187]
thrasher
enthusiast

I have to say it is realy nice beng able to pop in a cd if you want to.I had my empeg in my truck all by it self for about a year.I put a head unit in a few months ago and it sure comes in handy when friends bring cd's i dont have in my empeg.I also have sirrus radio now and it is cool but i dont find my self listening to it much.I have the empeg going into the aux in on my panasonic and i use the aux out on the empeg for my onstar phone.my hole system seems to sound better now that im running thru the panasonic.if you go to a nice install place im sure they can find a place to put both head units.

#197324 - 09/01/2004 23:57 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: joe187]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

I put about 60 gallons of gas in it a week

So you're driving, what, 30, 40,000 miles a year?

That's pretty intense.

tanstaafl.

#197325 - 10/01/2004 00:59 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: tanstaafl.]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
I drive 40k miles per year easy. 120/day commute. 183k on my engine. I need a new one. It's a '99.

-Zeke

#197326 - 10/01/2004 20:05 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: Ezekiel]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Woah. That's a lot of driving. I've had my truck for 2 years, and still haven't hit 20k.

#197327 - 12/01/2004 14:04 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: tanstaafl.]
joe187
journeyman

Tanstaafl,

You are right - it can't be that much driving. I think I had 60 in my head and it is dollars, not gallons. I fill it up once a week, and it is a 44 gallon tank. It costs me about $65 to fill it. I get 10.5 miles to a gallon. That'll drive all the environmentalists nuts, and I'm not happy about it myself, but I cannot control how tall I am. BTW - Tans, where did you get your Sony switcher? I searched Google and everything that comes up is for UK dealers only. I assume you are in the UK, or found a source here.

Meaball et al - the problem is not leg room but headroom. I cannot come close to fitting in a LeSabre nor any other sedan. As it is in the Excursion I have to put the seat back on a tilt so I can see below the visors. I tested a variety of vehicles, none had the head room I needed. Expeditions, one step below the Excursion in size, all have sun roofs, which create a lip around the inside that causes huge problems. It is very much a pain in the ass, and neck, literally.

Tony - I put the car in my garage at night, and would normally leave the empeg in it. I am very conscious of it getting ripped off. I especially get pissed off that whoever is stealing these things has no idea what it does and can't use it. I am sure that most that get stolen get tossed, which is doubly damning.

Anyway - you are all wicked pissah for helping me out. I give you that from the home of the eventual SuperBowl champion New England Patriots. If we can't win normally we'll just freeze them out. Works every time.

Joe

#197328 - 12/01/2004 14:08 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: joe187]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
the problem is not leg room but headroom
Ah. Sucks. I have a cousin who's 6'6" tall, and he fits in his Lexus big sedan (I don't remember which model), but he's all legs, so that makes sense.

What'd you do before? Buy a short car with a sunroof and stick your head out the top?

#197329 - 12/01/2004 20:53 Re: Empeg Only or Empeg Plus Other Head? [Re: joe187]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

BTW - Tans, where did you get your Sony switcher?

They *used* to be available in the U.S. I got one of the last ones that Crutchfield had; then later I bought a second one (for my other car) from someone here on the bbs. Who had the empeg installed in a sailboat? Jimhogan? Yes, that's who it was!

I don't know what I'd do without them... and there doesn't seem to be anything else on the market that does the same job.

tanstaafl.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >