Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#205992 - 21/02/2004 08:02 Post-tuner kits - where to next?
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
Hi.

Well, I have managed to squeeze out a few more tuner kits from stock, taking it up to order 177. To fulfill current orders I need to source 140 more modules, which I will be taking yet ANOTHER stab at on monday.

However, it seems to me that it is now time to start producing the long-discussed expansion board for the tuner kit. I have several ideas on the design of the thing, but I thought it might be a good idea to throw the proposed design into the arena for debate.

Firstly, there is the issue of physical form. The original idea was to allow space inside the tuner box to place another PCB on the stack, saving some space over having another box. This is still (I think) possible, but it limits the product in two ways: there is very limited space, and it's only of use to people with tuners!

My current favoured approach is in fact to use another case (probably identical to the tuner box) and a splitter cable to allow either or both tuner and expansion box to be fitted. This would allow people to use the expansion without the tuner, and also to fit more in.

As to the innards of the thing, what would you guys like? Here are some options that could in theory be supplied:

Multiple-axis accelerometers
Multiple-axis gyro
One or more thermocouple amplifiers for temperature measurement
One or more digital inputs at automotive levels
One or more power drive 12V outputs
Possibly a couple of extra (slowish) serial ports
TTL digital I/O
Analog inputs, either 0-5V or 0-15V
Speech synthesis output
Limited voice recognition, using an external processor (One of the main limitations is background noise, of course)

There are undoubtedly many other things that could go in, but one has to be sensible and recognise there is a limited amount of space and control bandwidth available, and the really advanced stuff tends to be only available in very small surface mount parts.

Any thoughts?

pca

#205993 - 21/02/2004 08:21 Re: Post-tuner kits - where to next? [Re: pca]
bjoern

Loc: Regensburg, Germany
Accelerometers and/or gyros would be my choice. But I guess that would need substantial software for the empeg, wouldn't it?

Another option would be speed input - I miss the speed dependent volume adjust I had in my miata before.

That reminds me: My all time favorite would be an obdII input for the empeg! Of course the software would need to be configureable to display any of the variables read out via the interface. I have the right connectors, since I use them to read out obdII data onto my laptop. But it would be the epitomy of luxury (in my eyes), to use the empeg to read out obdII data. BTW, that could also be used for speed dependent volume adjust

#205994 - 21/02/2004 08:49 Re: Post-tuner kits - where to next? [Re: bjoern]
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
All of these things will need the appropriate software written at the empeg end, which is outside my remit However, I'd guess that once some hardware became available, one or more programmers would stand out and be counted.

Speed input could be done via one of the digital inputs reading the appropriate line into the ecu on most cars.

What exactly is the format of OBDII? If, as I think, it's a form of serial data, the digital inputs could be used along with the appropriate software.

pca

#205995 - 21/02/2004 08:55 Re: Post-tuner kits - where to next? [Re: pca]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Speech synthesis output and voice recognition would get my vote.

#205996 - 21/02/2004 11:26 Re: Post-tuner kits - where to next? [Re: pca]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
OBDII (yup, some form of serial) and a couple of 12V (car spec.) digital in- and outputs.

/Michael

#205997 - 21/02/2004 11:50 Re: Post-tuner kits - where to next? [Re: mtempsch]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Another vote for OBDII.

#205998 - 21/02/2004 12:05 Re: Post-tuner kits - where to next? [Re: julf]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Isn't OBDII already possible with the existing serial connection?

#205999 - 21/02/2004 12:28 Re: Post-tuner kits - where to next? [Re: mtempsch]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
What are "car spec" digital inputs and outputs? What data are the inputs and outputs carrying?

Stu

#206000 - 21/02/2004 12:58 Re: Post-tuner kits - where to next? [Re: pca]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
The voice synthesis or recognition would be nice, but those extra serial ports would be attractive. One for GPS, one for OBDII, one for PPP via a cell phone...

#206001 - 21/02/2004 13:34 Re: Post-tuner kits - where to next? [Re: pca]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Bluetooth?

One potential use of it I could see would be for wardriving with my Powerbook. I'd keep the GPS antenna I have plugged into the empeg, and relay the GPS signal to the Bluetooth serial port. Could allow Bluetooth passthrough of ODBII and such too.

#206002 - 21/02/2004 14:04 Re: Post-tuner kits - where to next? [Re: maczrool]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
"car spec" digital inputs and outputs?

Not so much an issue with the outputs, as those can easily be buffered with simple transistors and/or relays.The outputs essentially just to turn things on/off from the empeg. But the inputs need to able to withstand all the car the car can throw at it - ie a "12"V actually anywhere between 8 and 15V with a strong likelyhood of even worse spikes... The signals - at least in my case - would be very simple and slow moving, essentially just if stuff is on or off, not anything like serial communications or such.

/Michael

#206003 - 21/02/2004 15:54 Re: Post-tuner kits - where to next? [Re: pca]
siberia37
old hand

Loc: Tacoma,WA
In reply to:

What exactly is the format of OBDII? If, as I think, it's a form of serial data, the digital inputs could be used along with the appropriate software.

ODBII runs at different frequencies and voltages depending on the car's make so I doubt it would be doable easily. My vote is just for serial and/or TTL inputs- digital inputs sound cool too.

#206004 - 21/02/2004 20:26 Re: Post-tuner kits - where to next? [Re: drakino]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Bluetooth would be cool. I don't know how the Empeg software side of it would work (Bluez I understand only works with linux 2.4 and up) but I'm sure a solution could be found. This would enable Palantir to beam it's data via Bluetooth instead of IrDA, and I'm sure a Palm/Pocket PC Bluetooth remote control application could be written easily.

#206005 - 21/02/2004 22:38 Re: Post-tuner kits - where to next? [Re: cushman]
brendanhoar
enthusiast

Hmm. IIRC, there are already some OBDII<->serial devices out there. I'd suggest going the "multiple-serial-ports" route, both for the ODBII *and* bluetooth (granted, serial emulation profile only).

There's already a serial<->bluetooth bridge from these guys (among others):

http://www.aircable.net/

I use their zaurus-specific dongle, but they've got a DB-9 version as well. Bit pricey, though.

-brendan

#206006 - 22/02/2004 00:15 Re: Post-tuner kits - where to next? [Re: pca]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
One thing to definitly add to the list would be a compass, which would be nice in general, and all "real" navigation systems use them for dead reckoning when they don't have a gps lock.

Bluetooth would be my single favorite feature. I'd love to have my empeg display the name/number of whoever was calling, and have the ability to grab traffic reports over a bluetooth data connection to my cell phone.

Matthew

#206007 - 22/02/2004 19:00 Re: Post-tuner kits - where to next? [Re: pca]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
G meters must have G measuring thingys and then lock visuals dude whose name has completely left me in a room until he has done a visual that uses them.

Sorry for vocabulary challenged post but just brought the 7 home from parents and brain slightly fryed due to long drive in very small noisey car with the last 20 miles it was snowing 7's aren't very good at snow fun but not good at it.