Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#208373 - 07/03/2004 21:52 Logo questions
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Hey all, a few logo questions. And I searched the FAQ and BBS on and off for hours, and these are the ones I couldn't answer:

Does anyone have the original, non-animated Rio boot logo? The one that does not say "digital audio" but, instead, fills the whole height of the screen? The one that was used in 1.03 and also in its Static visual? I just kind of want it for my collection.

Some stuff I read suggested that, when an ani-boot plays, it starts with the static "company logo" then plays the ani. Correct? Can both the static and ani be replaced? Do static boot logos have the same situation (displays "company" logo, then static logo)?

Just what logos and images can be replaced in the player? Static boot (both home and car?), ani-boot (emp, empc, rio, rioc???), certain visuals, etc? (I think) The FAQ pointed to an old Tony post which listed what his Logo Editor could upload, but has that changed?

Is Tony's Logo Editor the only way to load static boot logos and some other statics? And is Jemplode is the only way to load ani-boots?

Now, if only my continued unexpected streak of good luck will continue and have Jemplode work on my machine.... I'll be set.

#208374 - 08/03/2004 19:02 Re: Logo questions [Re: FireFox31]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Some stuff I read suggested that, when an ani-boot plays, it starts with the static "company logo" then plays the ani. Correct?
Incorrect. The company logo is animated, then it displays your custom static boot logo. Both can be replaced with Jemplode.

Just what logos and images can be replaced in the player?
A very clear itemized list of each of the things that can be replaced is here.

Is Tony's Logo Editor the only way to load static boot logos and some other statics? And is Jemplode is the only way to load ani-boots?
Short answer: For you, yes.

Long answer: if you know how to fiddle with memory addresses, command lines, and can build the file formats for these things yourself, you could do it by hand. But logoedit and Jemplode are the correct ways to do it.

#208375 - 08/03/2004 20:41 Re: Logo questions [Re: tfabris]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Thanks thanks. One other quick question which I forgot the terminology for and thus can't search for:

How many times can I flash the Kernel before wearing out the memory? How many boot logos can I upload? Does it hurt the memory less to upload boot logos? And just what IS that memory called..... I remember someone telling skunknumber1 about it, but I forgot.

Dori: Hm... Where DID that thread go... Hm... ... Oh, can I help you?

#208376 - 08/03/2004 21:25 Re: Logo questions [Re: FireFox31]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

How many times can I flash the Kernel before wearing out the memory?

About 3 times a day for the next century.
And just what IS that memory called

Er.... 'Flash' memory, strangely enough.

#208377 - 09/03/2004 06:41 Re: Logo questions [Re: tfabris]
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
Just to clarify: logoedit and Jemplode are the best ways for most people to upload logos and animations.

With all respect to Mike, I think your favourite image editor (in my case, the Gimp) is the best way to create new animations, as long as it can produce animated GIF images. If you start by editing an existing animation, you can be sure to have the correct size and palette for import into JEmplode.

I don't know much about logoedit, as AFAIK it's Windows-only at the moment. But I suspect the same is true there.

Mark - given we have /proc devices in Hijack for boot logos, ought we to have one for animations (so we can upload by FTP)? I'm not sure how to deal with the fact it grows downwards, though. And we do have aniwrite on the player, which can transfer a file to flash, so it's no big deal.