Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#232213 - 31/08/2004 20:11 Lyric and custom display modes.
ShadowMan
addict

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
Just in case there is anyone out there that doesn't yet know about the latest versions of emphatic please do yourself a favour and check it out.

I have followed Tony's lead and my eyeballs would have hit my monitor except for the fact that I wear glasses.

Check out the thread in Programming http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads/showflat....0&fpart=all

And check out the official site linked at the top of the empegbbs site.
http://empeg.tonyc.org/emphatic/

Easy to install it all and it works so nice. I just tried my hand at tagging and have submitted my first timestamped lyrics to the www.lrcdb.org site thanks to the SYLT Lyrics Plugin for winamp (http://sites.rapidus.net/gpatrick/) and I am truly impressed!

Thanks to all those involved in making this player better every day!

Rene

#232214 - 31/08/2004 20:59 Re: Lyric and custom display modes. [Re: ShadowMan]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Aw, shucks. Thanks!

(The check is in the mail, by the way.)

#232215 - 03/09/2004 16:08 Re: Lyric and custom display modes. [Re: tonyc]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
/me white-knuckle grips his empeg because he can't wait to find time to try this!!!!

I think about the lyrics scroller every time I hear REM's "End of the World as We Know It", which is kind of often (by choice).

I'm still daunted by appending the lyric files to the mp3s. Admittedly, I have not done a speck of research on this in a long long time, but has it become any easier? Did the talk of appending lyric files to mp3s already on the player ever come to fruition? Can be deleted from the player, mp3s have the lyric files appended, reuploaded, then have their original playcounts restored? It's always the little things that keep me from using these cool programs.

#232216 - 03/09/2004 16:29 Re: Lyric and custom display modes. [Re: FireFox31]
ShadowMan
addict

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
It has gotten easier and it is much more accurate now. The plugin supports milliseconds.

I downloaded the lyrics plugin. Played a tune that didn't have anything on the lrcdb.org site and the plugin found the lyrics on another site. My first song tagged took me about 10 minutes to get the timestamps accurate and to figure out how to use the plugin. I figure the next song will take me about as long as it takes me to listen to the song. And if the song is in the lrcdb.org site already then your song will be tagged with proper timestamps right away! I submitted my tagged lyrics as soon as I was satisfied.

There is a rating system and wild new shuffle modes in emphatic as well. Well worth the play!

Oh and Tony, a cheque won't be necessary... PayPal will suffice.

#232217 - 03/09/2004 17:03 Re: Lyric and custom display modes. [Re: ShadowMan]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Right, but the issue of adding lyric files to all the mp3s already on the player. Delete all vocal songs on the empeg, append lyric files, and reupload them; loosing existing playcount? Or inject lyric file into mp3's currently on empeg? I thought I read about this in the big thread, so I just need to research before I keep asking dumb questions.

#232218 - 03/09/2004 17:07 Re: Lyric and custom display modes. [Re: FireFox31]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
How about via a plugin for Jemplode?

#232219 - 03/09/2004 17:07 Re: Lyric and custom display modes. [Re: FireFox31]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Quote:
/me white-knuckle grips his empeg because he can't wait to find time to try this!!!!

Well, in the time you've spent talking about your anticipation, and asking for it to be easier, you could have tried it out already, and decided if it's too much work or not.

Quote:
Did the talk of appending lyric files to mp3s already on the player ever come to fruition?

No, and don't hold your breath. Tony's request for the feature was overly simplistic. The plugin has no idea where a given MP3 lives on your player. It only operates on MP3s that are on your hard drives. Even if the plugin did all the heavy lifting involved with writing tags and FTPing the file back and forth, there's the task of finding the file on the empeg, when all you have is the artist, title, and album information from the copy that's on your hard drive (assuming these are identical.) Walking through the /drive[01]/fids directory and scanning the *1 fids for this info would take forever.

So we'd have to open the player's database and try to find it in there. Then consider the fact that people regularly update database information on the empeg (via Emplode and jEmplode) that doesn't match the info in the tags, and you've got a real mess.

Nevermind the fact that the only code I know of for parsing the player's database is written in Java, and was designed with the idea that you'd be able to load the whole database into memory first (something we can't do on the empeg due to memory limitations.)

If you have possible solutions for these limitations, then I'm all ears.

Quote:
Can be deleted from the player, mp3s have the lyric files appended, reuploaded, then have their original playcounts restored?

I don't know. There's a "replace tune" option in Emplode, but I don't know if it preserves play counts and other per-track metadata. I personally don't care about play counts so it's not an issue for me.

Why don't you try it, and let us know the results?

Quote:
It's always the little things that keep me from using these cool programs.

Funny, I see it as a lack of effort. Cool things don't just happen for you, sometimes, you need to spend a little time to try them out. The empeg wasn't designed for Luddites.

#232220 - 03/09/2004 17:08 Re: Lyric and custom display modes. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

#232221 - 03/09/2004 17:12 Re: Lyric and custom display modes. [Re: tonyc]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I sugested this to solve the problem and the idea sank like a stone.

Seems like the best solution to me, with plenty of other benefits in the backing up and karma/central transfer realm.

Matthew

#232222 - 03/09/2004 17:17 Re: Lyric and custom display modes. [Re: tonyc]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I know, I was just bring it up again. I didn't realized that the proposed solution was too simplistic though...

I know there are certain read/write access issues... but if Winamp was playing a song via the HiJack web interface, wouldn't it know the FID of the song and where it is on the drive since it's playing it?

#232223 - 03/09/2004 17:22 Re: Lyric and custom display modes. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I seem to remember that there is an issue with overwriting FIDs directly in that the empeg stores an offset into the MP3 file as to where the audio data starts. If you change the ID3v2 tag's size, then this information becomes incorrect, potentially affecting playback. Now, I never got a confirmation that this is how it works, but it seemed to follow from some previous statements.

Anyone that would like to say I'm wrong, please do so.

#232224 - 03/09/2004 17:23 Re: Lyric and custom display modes. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I know there are certain read/write access issues... but if Winamp was playing a song via the HiJack web interface, wouldn't it know the FID of the song and where it is on the drive since it's playing it?

Patrick mentioned some issues related to how the WinAmp APIs deal with streaming content. I don't remember if he found ways to work around these, but until that happens, the plugin has no access to the ID3 info.

#232225 - 03/09/2004 17:25 Re: Lyric and custom display modes. [Re: matthew_k]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I sugested this to solve the problem and the idea sank like a stone.

I didn't see that the first time around. Hmm. Neat idea. You listening, Mike?

#232226 - 03/09/2004 17:39 Re: Lyric and custom display modes. [Re: tonyc]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Sorry Tony, I didn't mean to offend. I've just got a little learning curve to overcome before I can approach emphatic. The Emplode "replace tune" feature that you mentioned does sound like a good thing to try. I'll try it, once I figure out the 2.0 software, Emplode 2.0, Jemplode, HiJack, uploading custom software, using lyric files, then emphatic itself. I'm so far behind.

#232227 - 03/09/2004 19:21 Re: Lyric and custom display modes. [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I seem to remember that there is an issue with overwriting FIDs directly in that the empeg stores an offset into the MP3 file as to where the audio data starts. If you change the ID3v2 tag's size, then this information becomes incorrect, potentially affecting playback.

Right. Which is why, in the thread that TonyC linked earlier, I suggested that the corresponding *1 file would need to be have the offset recalculated, and the database rebuilt, if we were replacing the files in situ. Fortunately, the technical details of how to do this are fairly straightforward.

#232228 - 04/09/2004 20:12 Re: Lyric and custom display modes. [Re: tonyc]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
I must've been living under a stone (actually, I almost did, for the last several months). I knew of emphatic, but had no clue of its many talents. And I see you are one of driving driving forces behind the lyrics database, too! I hope RIAA is not breathing down you neck, like they did with that Swiss (?) guy operating a site with lyrics a few years ago....
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#232229 - 05/09/2004 01:23 Re: Lyric and custom display modes. [Re: bonzi]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
living under a stone (actually, I almost did

Another climber?

#232230 - 05/09/2004 07:48 Re: Lyric and custom display modes. [Re: mlord]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Quote:
Quote:
living under a stone (actually, I almost did

Another climber?

Almost diametrically opposite, I am sad to say. I take elevator to the second floor, in both directions.

I just wanted to say I was buried under a mountain of work recently. Additionally, I spent two months on a consulting assignment with a client with exceptionally paranoid Internet practices, and without a decent connection in the apartment they rented for me. Then again, since the post was in Paris, there were numerous ways to spend what little spare time I had even without Internet.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#232231 - 05/09/2004 19:39 Re: Lyric and custom display modes. [Re: bonzi]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

RIAA? What's that?

Seriously... If RIAA, or ASCAP, or whoever decides that the lrcDB site is somehow infringing on someone's rights, I can't do anything about that. There are literally hundreds of other lyrics sites out there that get a lot more traffic than lrcDB ever would, and most of them make money off those lyrics via banner ads... So I think they'd go after them first.

At this point, lrcDB is pretty much just empeg users and a few random folks who've found it. At some point in the future, I'd imagine that it might be nice to open the lrcDB (and, by extension, the SYLT plugin) to a wider audience, to increase the amount of lyrics in the database. I won't be doing that until it's really ready for prime time, with the bugs worked out, etc. When it does happen, it's obvious that with a wider audience comes more of a chance of those kind of problems... I'm not going to let it stop me from trying, though.