Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#259391 - 30/06/2005 08:06 Amersfoort: anyone doing simple repairs ?
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I know RobS will have no time to get his soldering iron out during Amersfoort. I was wondering if anyone else would have the time/inclination to do some simple repairs ?

Both my Mk2 players have intermittent IDE header issues. I have made attempts in the past to fix them, but my crappy soldering never fixes the problem for very long...

#259392 - 30/06/2005 08:46 Re: Amersfoort: anyone doing simple repairs ? [Re: andy]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Andy, you worry me when you say something like this. The "IDE header issue" is not something that repeatedly crops up and is fixed by soldering each time. If you solder the IDE header more than once, it is likely that you will knacker the board and scrap it. As like as not, there is another issue causing this - 90% of the time it's the drive cables.

The reason I have stuck out for "no repairs" at Amersfoort and a "leave it behind for repair" policy is two-fold:

- we will be either drunk, or seriously hung over at the event (except Patrick )
- repairs such as this are not trivial and require care and concentration.

It's purely a way to ensure the job is done properly. The hotel has frowned on doing soldering work in the meeting rooms mainly due to sensitive smoke detectors and the possibility of fire. However, there is my house where repairs can be done, so why not there? Well, as I say - the repairs done under these circumstances are likely to be bodged. Patrick could do repair work, I'm sure, but he's there to have some fun as well, you know!

What would be wrong with leaving your player with me for repairs?
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#259393 - 30/06/2005 09:05 Re: Amersfoort: anyone doing simple repairs ? [Re: schofiel]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:
Andy, you worry me when you say something like this.

Sorry

Quote:
The "IDE header issue" is not something that repeatedly crops up and is fixed by soldering each time. If you solder the IDE header more than once, it is likely that you will knacker the board and scrap it. As like as not, there is another issue causing this - 90% of the time it's the drive cables.

When I did my "repairs" I didn't resolder every leg of the IDE headers, just the ones that were clearly floating. The ones that failed after the first "fix" were the ones that I hadn't resoldered before. So it isn't as if I have gone back and "fixed" each leg on the headers multiple times.

I did my repairs before you started warning of damage due to amateur DIY fixing.

I definitely did have a drive cable problem. I now have the longer Eutronix cables which should sort that, I just haven't trusted myself to go back and fix the headers once and for all since I got the longer cables.

Quote:
What would be wrong with leaving your player with me for repairs?

Nothing if you have really got time now to fix them. I haven't tried to get you to fix them before now because it other people needed your limited time/resources more than I did (given that neither player is even installed in a car).