Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#261704 - 28/07/2005 10:07 I would seriously advise people to not install Alpha 11(never mind)
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
There is a serious issue with this one, one that I doubt most people have discovered yet, but they will. I had quite the saga tonight, not fun.

So I went to install the Alpha 11 over my old Alpha 8, and made one minor mistake that turned into a major one, which along with some newfound bugs, almost screwed me for good. That mistake was accidentally putting the consumer image on instead of the developer one.

I then added a couple of songs via emplode and, as it does almost every single time with all the Alpha 3s, Emplode crashed at the end of the sync. That ever going to get fixed? Anyway it screwed up the database again this time so the Empeg builds the database every time it boots up. So because I put the consumer image on, I can't hyperterminal into the shell to fix it.

Which brings me to bug number two, the major one: the upgrader no longer works when Alpha 11 is already on the Empeg. It always times out now. using Emplode 2.0 or 2.1 makes no difference. Once you have an Alpha 11 on, you have it for life apparently. I tried changing the timing of when I start the upgrade process but it doesn't seem to matter.

So anyway, I couldn't fix the database because I couldn't shell, I couldn't change to the developer image, and Emplode won't run anymore because it always errors when checking the database (bug number 3). I was about to cry.

So after tearing my hair out for a while, I went back to Emplode 2.0, and it was able to fix the database. So at least it works now, but I still have the consumer version of Alpha 11 on there and there doesn't seem much I can do about it.

Oh, and yes, as someone mentioned in another thread, I can confirm that serial Emplode does not work with Alpha 11. I sense a pattern with serial issues, anything to do with this "switching to 4800 baud" weirdness I saw when attempting to Hyperterm in?

So if you haven't installed Alpha 11, it would probably be a good idea not to, or else you may never be able to get it off again. Maybe it's just the consumer image that has this serial bug, but I suspect not.

Edited by ninti (28/07/2005 15:35)

#261705 - 28/07/2005 10:25 Re: I would seriously advise people to not install Alpha 11 [Re: ninti]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Which brings me to bug number two, the major one: the upgrader no longer works when Alpha 11 is already on the Empeg. It always times out now. using Emplode 2.0 or 2.1 makes no difference. Once you have an Alpha 11 on, you have it for life apparently. I tried changing the timing of when I start the upgrade process but it doesn't seem to matter.

Don't see how that can ever happen. The bootloader is protected (unless you've linked the two pads inside) and that allows you to replace the kernel which allows you to write to the HDs.

#261706 - 28/07/2005 10:29 Re: I would seriously advise people to not install Alpha 11 [Re: ninti]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I can't help thinking that you must have something else going on. The serial upgrader code is in protected flash and will not have been replaced during the alpha 11 upgrade.

So it sounds like you are having other issues with your serial connection that are likely not caused by alpha 11.

#261707 - 28/07/2005 10:35 Re: I would seriously advise people to not install Alpha 11 [Re: andy]
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
Has anyone else had any serious issues with this build?

I was looking forward to tinkering!

#261708 - 28/07/2005 11:11 Re: I would seriously advise people to not install Alpha 11 [Re: ninti]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Can't be happening. The bootloader is protected (as mentioned) and runs before ANY firmware happens to get loaded or run.

If you use the factory upgrader program and actually turn the unit off until it says, I'll bet it will work.

Do you have hijack installed? You should be able to use Mark's upgrader as well if you do.

Don't stress. I really doubt you are that far up the creek.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#261709 - 28/07/2005 11:16 Re: I would seriously advise people to not install Alpha 11 [Re: Shonky]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Also, without a bootloader the main firmware won't even run either. The bootloader is not just for upgrading. It's always the very first bit of code to run when the empeg restarts or turns on.

That's the whole purpose of a bootloader. It's code that doesn't change so you can always recover if something happens to the main firmware.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#261710 - 28/07/2005 11:26 Re: I would seriously advise people to not install Alpha 11 [Re: ninti]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
"Switching to 4800" sounds like your player thinks it's in the car. If it does think this, then that would also explain why you can't upgrade it - if the player thinks it's in the car, it doesn't pause in the protected bootrom to see if anyone wants to upgrade it (to make in-car bootups faster).

Do you have a bootlog you can post?

Hugo

#261711 - 28/07/2005 12:06 Re: I would seriously advise people to not install Alpha 11 [Re: altman]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Quote:
Oh, and yes, as someone mentioned in another thread, I can confirm that serial Emplode does not work with Alpha 11

Yeah...I reported that. I could still flash kernels and upgrade though, so I definitely wasn't having the all the same issues you are. My problem was strictly connecting with emplode via serial while the player is running. You might want to consider JEmplode. It behaves much better with the alphas in my experience, although there are still some problems.

#261712 - 28/07/2005 14:49 Re: I would seriously advise people to not install Alpha 11 [Re: ninti]
Foz

Loc: San Jose, CA
Do you have Hijack installed? If so, can you use the ethernet kernel upgrader? I can't remember the last time I upgraded via serial (in fact, I only have DB9 out on one machine anymore, and it's my mythtv box).

-- Gary F.
Eeyore, Original Owner -- Mk II 80 Gb, Blue S/N #090000803 Tigger, 2nd Owner -- Mk IIa, 80 Gb, Blue S/N #40103789

#261713 - 28/07/2005 15:34 Re: I would seriously advise people to not install Alpha 11 [Re: altman]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
Quote:
"Switching to 4800" sounds like your player thinks it's in the car. If it does think this, then that would also explain why you can't upgrade it - if the player thinks it's in the car, it doesn't pause in the protected bootrom to see if anyone wants to upgrade it (to make in-car bootups faster)

Ok, I feel stupid now. Of course that is what it thinks, being in a Mlord dock. This is the first time I got the thing wired up to use the serial port through the dock, before I was connecting directly. I didn't realize that it acts that differently.

I sincerely apologize if I worried anybody about putting on Alpha 11 and assuming that it was its fault rather than my own dumb mistake. In my defense it was 5:00 in the morning and I had been up all night playing with it, so I wasn't thinking too straight. I appreciate all the responses.

#261714 - 28/07/2005 16:00 Re: I would seriously advise people to not install Alpha 11 [Re: ninti]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Of course that is what it thinks, being in a Mlord dock.

Yeah. I modified my Mlord dock by mounting a "blank" AC-adapter plug inside of it, just so I could work around this issue. More details in the usual place.