Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#265834 - 22/09/2005 20:16 An apology, and an explanation
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
Hi.

Firstly, I must apologise for the appallingly late delivery of a number of memory expansion boards. Due to a number of factors, some beyond my control and some not, I am months behind in several lines of work, including the finishing off of the boards. I am absolutely solidly booked on a major project at the moment, which is taking up the bulk of my time but is critically important as amongst other things, it's paying the bills. Add in family issues, my father having a stroke while staying at my house a little while ago (don't be too alarmed, it was a mild one and he seems to have recovered well, although it was fairly stressful. Mainly for me, as he can't remember it ), many many people wanting many many urgent things done right now, and everything slows to a crawl.

And, of course, the supplier of the memory which was supposed to be here three or four months ago still hasn't come through.

God, I sound like a whiny bastard, but really I'm just a lazy, overworked bastard

So, what am I doing about it, I hear you shout. At least, the ones who are waiting for memory board are shouting, everyone else is probably going "Sorry, did you say something?"

Well, I have arranged a small-run PCB manufacturer to build the remaining boards. By various means I have scraped together enough chips to make about half the outstanding boards, and I am pushing the supplier for the balance. I will arrange to have at least a dozen boards completed and shipped out as soon as I can possibly manage it, and with luck the rest should be done fairly soon.

If anyone is completely fed up with my inability to deliver on a promise on time, I will refund their money for the memory boards. Obviously I would prefer not to do this if they can wait just a little longer, but I understand if they have lost patience.

On a slightly different but related issue, it seems unlikely that I will make another batch of memory boards at any time soon. Both for the reasons explained above, and because the demand isn't really there.

Also, I will be making up the remaining tuner kits when I have a moment (I'm awash in parts for those damn things), and will be happy to supply them until they run out. After that, there definitely will be no more made.

Once again, sorry to everyone who is waiting. You're not forgotten, I assure you. I simply don't seem to be able to get the time together to answer the emails and PMs in a reasonable timescale at the moment. I don't even have time to look at the BBS more than once a week or so.

Pca

#265835 - 22/09/2005 22:49 Re: An apology, and an explanation [Re: pca]
Glen_L

Loc: Elk Grove, CA
Thanks much for the update. I hope I didn't come across as too impatient in my e-mail , I'm in no hurry. Life certainly has a way of throwing curveballs, and some things just take priorities over others. I hope your father stays well.

#265836 - 23/09/2005 00:44 Re: An apology, and an explanation [Re: Glen_L]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
If you're interested, I'm considering selling my empeg with the memory card already installed. It also has a LED kit (that needs to have one LED resoldered) and a fan controller.

The memory cards are more for 3rd party aps. I havn't been able to get 2.01 to run with it. So, for me, it's as if I never had it because I don't run any 3rd party stuff. It runs flawlessly on 2.00 even though the player software doesn't take advantage of it. I spent a lot of money for the card, shipping and install and might be looking to regain some of my costs. Maybe it can fund a "stacked chip" meathod mem upgrade on my backup unit.

I'm not firm on selling quite yet. I'd have to find another unit to be my backup and in the end, I don't know if I'd break even, but I'm considering it.

#265837 - 23/09/2005 14:45 Re: An apology, and an explanation [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
SE_Sport_Driver: How much would you want if we trade units without the HD's. I haven't done any of the hardware mods to it. I think I still have the memory for upgrading the series one TiVo's. I believe the memory is the same for stacked ram upgrade on the Empeg. I will check to see if I still have it and what the chip part numbers are.

#265838 - 23/09/2005 18:51 Re: An apology, and an explanation [Re: pca]
SonicSnoop
addict

Loc: Triangle, VA
Would it be possible to get a memory card with out the memory? I still have 6 chips not being used...
-D Modifying and Tweaking is a journey, not a destination................................ MKIIa : 60gig - 040103286 - Blue - v2 + PCATS tuner MKIIa : 20gig - 040103260 - Blue - v3a8 + Mark Lord Special Edition Cherry Dock

#265839 - 24/09/2005 21:57 Re: An apology, and an explanation [Re: pca]
shadow45

Loc: Florida, USA
I want to order one, but I would need someone to install it for me. Who in the US is willing? how much would they charge?

I want to run my Garmin GPS80 hockey puck into the empeg's serial, and use gpsd to multiplex it out of the IRDA to my Zaurus and my tablet (MS Streets) i'm gonna need ram!

also, a quick aside, why did you guys pick such a darkly lit display for the empeg? it's so unreadable in the sun.. is it always muggy and raining over there like in the movies? hehe.

i see the only route to extend the life of this device for years later would be to hack in a new display (along with the ram) Perhaps GPIO, serial (the fastest avail, lol) or USB could power a display?

just wanted to pick your brain.