Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#285481 - 15/08/2006 10:56 New Australian Holden Commodore and Empeg
Gazz
journeyman

Loc: Alice Springs - Australia
Tonight I went to a release party for the new 1 billion dollar Australian Holden VE Commodore.. where they gave me a lot of free beer... but that wasn't the best thing, This is like the best car I could possibly dream of. absolutley dripping of "I want this".. There is no possible way I can stop myself ordering all 6 litres of her in leather and black when I get back to my dealer in Alice Springs.

We have been waiting a long time for this car and there are currently 2 Blimps flying over Sydney flashing HOLDEN HOLDEN like big red cigars.

I'm wondering is there any other Aussies out there considering this Rad new Vhickle, and any considered how to add in their EMPEG???

which looks kinda possible to add it into the slightly din looking area below the stock stereos of which there seems to be a few options, but the new aussie rocket has all those horid extras like integrated bluetooth.

Gazz.

#285482 - 15/08/2006 11:47 Re: New Australian Holden Commodore and Empeg [Re: Gazz]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
1 billion dollar

Seems a little expensive for a car. Even the Bugatti Veyron doesn't cost that much

Quote:
Australian Holden VE Commodore

Some photos here.

#285483 - 19/08/2006 14:16 Re: New Australian Holden Commodore and Empeg [Re: Gazz]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Hm, that kind of looks like Subaru WRX meets an older Mitsubishi Eclipse (I think). Was Holden once an Australian independant auto maker? I've never heard of them

Most important question: those linked pictures, are they photos or renders? I rue the day I have to ask that.

#285484 - 19/08/2006 14:25 Re: New Australian Holden Commodore and Empeg [Re: FireFox31]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Holden is more related to GM, Opel and Vauxhall. Pics look rendered to me - either that or they've been photoshopped dramatically.

Edited by Phil. (19/08/2006 14:27)

#285485 - 19/08/2006 14:51 Re: New Australian Holden Commodore and Empeg [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
They aren't rendered, in some of them you can see specks of dust on the paintwork.

In this shot you can see water or polish marks in the chrome and the welds on the exhaust:

http://stadium.weblogsinc.com/autoblog/videos/HiRezPics/VE_SS_V_015.jpg

They have just been taken (or post-processed) to have that crisp, saturated look that so many car makers go for at the moment.

#285486 - 20/08/2006 12:21 Re: New Australian Holden Commodore and Empeg [Re: andy]
Gazz
journeyman

Loc: Alice Springs - Australia
I arrived home in The Alice, to find an invitation from Kittles my local holden dealer to another Commodore preview party, and this time xxxx pies and sandwiches instead of canopies crownies and champagne in typical outback Australian style. It started at 6.30 in the mysterious empty dealer workshop with the cars to make a grand entrance and by 7.40 it all had gotten quite loud as most had forgotten the point wasnt the free beer.

then the lights suddenly went out and 6 new cars made an eerie quiet almost silent entrance... I have to say I was a little disapointed, Ive got 4/1 pacemaker headers and a Redback twin system on my current dunny dore and with the 5.8Litre V8 it's loud enough to shake paint from fences. That is the quietest car I have ever herd and for a 6Litre V8 family car too.. we are going to need to rip out that exhaust.

what im trying to say is the cars seriously do look as good as those photo especially after drinking half a dozen XXXX

("4 eX" - Australian country beer as apposed to "crownies" - a kind of city businessmans beer, for the benefit of those that dont know what a dunny dore is)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dunny+dore

I know other Ausie empeg owners will be interested in getting into this new and probably Australia's best ever car but with new cars today it's getting harder and harder to get that simple din stereo option, which in my opinion is quite sad. the top of the line option in the new commodore is like 250 watts and caters easily for ipod but thats a far cry from my current 1700 watts and empeg luxury

and with the dust... andy im not surprised, this is Australia mate.

#285487 - 20/08/2006 13:46 Re: New Australian Holden Commodore and Empeg [Re: FireFox31]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Quote:
Was Holden once an Australian independent auto maker? I've never heard of them.

They are owned by GM but run very independently of GM. Have you heard of the Pontiac GTO that was brought back to the US a few years ago? It's a Holden with a few new body panels. GM needed a car real fast so they looked to Holden and had a "GTO" within a year. So, the GTO is made in Australia. And, IIRC, the engine is the old Corvette engine that gets built in the US, shipped to Australia, put in the car, then shipped back to the US. Sales are slow now because the design isn't that exciting compared to the Mustang and Charger, but when it first came here, it sold well. GM would have sold more of them if the UAW let them. They threatened a strike if GM imported more than the agreed upon number from Australia. /sarcasm Yeah UAW! Woo hoo!

Australia is known for making cool, large RWD cars with gobs of horse power. I think Ford still makes the Fairlane down there which is a comparable car.

#285488 - 20/08/2006 16:26 Re: New Australian Holden Commodore and Empeg [Re: Gazz]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Quote:
...and this time xxxx pies...

Glad you cleared that up! I was thinking that must've been one heckuva wild party!
"Honey- I'm going down to check out the new Holdens..."

#285489 - 22/08/2006 10:09 Re: New Australian Holden Commodore and Empeg [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Quote:
I think Ford still makes the Fairlane down there which is a comparable car.

Actually, it was the Ford Falcon I was thinking of...

#285490 - 22/08/2006 20:17 Re: New Australian Holden Commodore and Empeg [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Quote:
I think Ford still makes the Fairlane down there which is a comparable car.

Actually, it was the Ford Falcon I was thinking of...

They were still making the Fairlane until recently at least. I seem to remember they were talking about stopping it since it wasn't selling big and may have canned it by now.

Edit: But yes the Falcon and Commodore are direct competitors. The Holden Statesman and Ford Fairlane are LWB luxury competitors both based off their more mass market siblings.

Edited by Shonky (22/08/2006 20:20)
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)