Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#291189 - 06/12/2006 15:09 Speaker/amp opinions
jbrinkerhoff

The "infinity gold" system in my 2002 jeep grand cherokee is horrible. Muddy, tinny, brassy, boomy all at the same time. Ive tweaked the EQ as best I can, and the best I can get is still "irritating".

It was like this with the stock headunit too, so I know its not the empeg.

Id like to get a replacement amp that will fit where the stock unit does (2.5x6x13" with a possibility of increases in length and width of 2-3 inches). And Im looking for sound like my home stereo - which is Infinity Studio Monitor series from the late 80's. Clean, tight, with decent bass extension but no boom.

Ive been referred to this brand:

http://www.cdtaudio.com

The Jeep has 6x9 (!) speakers in the front doors, tweets in the dash, and 6.5" coaxes in the back.

Ive heard good things about these:

http://www.cdtaudio.com/6x9_series.htm

I would also consider a smallish sub, if I can make a zero-loss-of-cargo room box for the side of the rear cargo area.

#291190 - 06/12/2006 16:53 Re: Speaker/amp opinions [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Just a word of warning. When I replaced the 6x9 speakers in my blazer, any decent speaker was way deeper than my factory speakers. You'll want to double check the depth that your vehicle can support and then figure out what will fit or how you have to customize to make it fit. I think you can find this info here.

And your perfect subwoofer enclosure is here. (I didn't say it was cheap )

#291191 - 06/12/2006 18:19 Re: Speaker/amp opinions [Re: JBjorgen]
jbrinkerhoff

Ahh, I KNEW Id seen one of those somewher.... JL Audio. Yeah, a bit too expensive.... :-) I have the CD changer, as shown, and will probably remove that (opposite side of the rear) and use the area as space for my own custom StealthBox. I have an 8" sub already from an earlier endeavor, and need only ~0.4 cu ft for a sealed enclosure.

I didnt think about the depth problem... Maybe I'll just go with Polk dB series components up front, or Infinity Ref or Kappa. All about $200 a pair anyway.

I imagine putting SOMETHING for sound deadeining inside these doors would help as well, since there appears to be NONE at all. Ive heard decent things about RAMMAT, but have never used any of this stuff myself. I do know that this vehicle is WAY louder (road noise) than the older ones I had.

#291192 - 06/12/2006 18:55 Re: Speaker/amp opinions [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
If you check Crutchfield, it will tell you what speakers that they stock will fit your vehicle (depthwise and otherwise). It might give you a good idea of some of the models you can shop around for. They aren't the cheapest, but the service is good. If you buy from them, they'll send any adapters you need for free and a booklet that tells how to take apart your car without damaging anything.