Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#301837 - 03/09/2007 13:58 Question about the source button on rio remote
mrfixit
enthusiast

I have installed my empeg into my new car along with the tuner and sirius radio (you can see it in this post) I am also using the pac steering wheel control witch works great. I set up the "mode" button on my steering wheel to emulate the "source" button on the rio remote and my question is, is there a way to make the "source" button switch between the player, aux input (sirius) and then the tuner? Right now it just toggles between the player and the aux input but for the tuner I have to hit the tuner button on the remote.
mk2a 40gig blue no illumination....yet
hijacked

#301838 - 03/09/2007 18:59 Re: Question about the source button on rio remote [Re: mrfixit]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I think you might be able to do this with an IR Translate in Hijack.

With Hijack installed, pressing and holding the front panel knob-button will normally toggle between sources. I seem to recall that by default, it only toggles between tuner and MP3, but there is a configuration tweak that lets it toggle between all three sources. I don't remember if that configuration tweak needs to be in config.ini or if it's in the Hijack main menu, but a bit of research should reveal that.

Then all you need to do is research how to do IR Translate commands, and have the IR for the source button execute the internal command for the hijack front-panel-knob-button-source-switch, whatever that command happens to be.

All of the above will likely be findable in the Hijack section of the FAQ, it may take a little digging to find all the relevant bits, post back here if you get stuck.

Let us know how it goes.

#301839 - 03/09/2007 21:38 Re: Question about the source button on rio remote [Re: tfabris]
mrfixit
enthusiast

Thanks Tony I missed that one, and I am not sure how because I used the ir translate for the volume up and down to make it faster (b94614=Vol+,Vol+,Vol+,Vol+,Vol+ b94615=Vol-,Vol-,Vol-,Vol-,Vol-). I found a section in the hijack modifiers where I can do just what I want, but I found an easier way while I was looking around. It seems that the "src" button my other kenwood remote (rc-600) does switch the player from mp3 - aux - tuner, so all I have to do is reprogram the steering wheel adapter with this remote. Thanks for the help. I also just have to say that this is the most kind and helpful bunch of people on this board I have ever talked too, for a product that has been discontinued for quite some time now there is more helpful support from all you guys than anything I have ever had.
hijacked

#301840 - 04/09/2007 00:32 Re: Question about the source button on rio remote [Re: mrfixit]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
is there a way to make the "source" button switch between the player, aux input (sirius) and then the tuner? Right now it just toggles between the player and the aux input but for the tuner I have to hit the tuner button on the remote.

From memory (faulty), and untested: In the player's config.ini file:

[ir_translate]
Source=NextSrc

(requires Hijack)

#301841 - 04/09/2007 01:00 Re: Question about the source button on rio remote [Re: mlord]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Gah, that's so much simpler than what I was saying.

#301842 - 04/09/2007 01:04 Re: Question about the source button on rio remote [Re: mrfixit]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
It seems that the "src" button my other kenwood remote (rc-600) does switch the player from mp3 - aux - tuner

That's a good catch. I couldn't remember whether the original MK1 kenwood remote could do that. In fact, I don't think it could, it had a separate button for CD Tuner and Aux if I recall correctly. So it must have been something the empeg guys deliberately added to the IR code set, anticipating that it would be used with other models of Kenwood remote.

Quote:
I also just have to say that this is the most kind and helpful bunch of people on this board I have ever talked too, for a product that has been discontinued for quite some time now there is more helpful support from all you guys than anything I have ever had.

Thanks. We aim to please.

#301843 - 04/09/2007 01:24 Re: Question about the source button on rio remote [Re: tfabris]
mrfixit
enthusiast

Hey Mark I just tried the
[ir_translate]
Source=NextSrc
The funny thing is the nextsrc command only toggles between the player and the tuner (or is that because I didn't have anything hooked to the aux in when I tested it?), however I put in
[ir_translate]
Source=b96413
which is the button code on the kenwood rc-600 for the "src" button and then the rio remote "source" acts like the kenwood remote. So the good news is all I had to do is change the ini file and not reprogram the steering wheel adapter. The only drawback is that now it also toggles through AM and then FM but that is no biggie.

This stuff is soo cool, I went back and added this

source.L=source
Source=b94613

so now if I want to turn off the player a long button press of the rio remote acts as the original function, but a short press acts like the kenwood remote. Wow you were not kidding when you said "The ir_translate function of the Hijack Kernel is one of it's most powerful features."

Edited by mrfixit (04/09/2007 01:46)
hijacked

#301844 - 04/09/2007 11:10 Re: Question about the source button on rio remote [Re: mrfixit]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Hey Mark I just tried the
[ir_translate]
Source=NextSrc
The funny thing is the nextsrc command only toggles between the player and the tuner

Ah. Then it also needs this:

[hijack]
nextsrc_aux_enabled=1

-ml

#301845 - 04/09/2007 11:23 Re: Question about the source button on rio remote [Re: mrfixit]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
[ir_translate]
Source=b96413
which is the button code on the kenwood rc-600 for the "src" button and then the rio remote "source" acts like the kenwood remote. So the good news is all I had to do is change the ini file and not reprogram the steering wheel adapter. The only drawback is that now it also toggles through AM and then FM but that is no biggie.

This stuff is soo cool, I went back and added this

source.L=source
Source=b94613

so now if I want to turn off the player a long button press of the rio remote acts as the original function, but a short press acts like the kenwood remote. Wow you were not kidding when you said "The ir_translate function of the Hijack Kernel is one of it's most powerful features."

Hijack v479 has just been released.
The only change is that it now includes a "Src" label to represent the rc-600 "Src" button.

So you could now do this instead of the above:

[ir_translate]
source.L=Source
source=Src

But you may still prefer this instead:

[ir_translate]
source.L=Source
source=NextSrc
[hijack]
nextsrc_aux_enabled=1

Cheers

#301846 - 04/09/2007 12:59 Re: Question about the source button on rio remote [Re: mlord]
mrfixit
enthusiast

Wow thanks Mark, now it is even better and more simple. And this way it skips over the AM just like I wanted.
hijacked