Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#309012 - 10/04/2008 12:40 Rolling my own "stalk" using stock steering buttons. Q's
jbrinkerhoff

I have read the developer FAQ, and all the stalk/tuner interface info I can find. Here's what I have and what I wish to accomplish:

- I have a 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has steering wheel remote from the factory, disconnected since Empeg install. I have the pcats tuner. The steering wheel buttons use a resistor network just like the stalk, different values.

- I have hooked it up, just to see, and at least one button will do something on the empeg (seems to change the display).

- The button layout on the wheel is:
(As if sitting in the driver's seat)

- -

Six buttons total, two "rockers" with center buttons. So, two up/down and two "center". One switch (three functions) on each side of the wheel.

- My ideal config would be to map the steering wheel buttons to the player front-face buttons 1-1. Such that:

* = Player power/top round button * = Knob +
- = Player left arrow - = Player right arrow
* = Player down arrow * = Knob -

That way I could control ANY player function from the steering wheel. I use the player buttons most of the time anyway, so I'm used to not having instant access to other functions. Only thing Id be missing is knob press.

My questions are as follows:

- If I measure the resistance of each of the button presses, can I change the reaction of the player to these new values? I.e. are the resistance values the player/tuner expects hard coded?

- Can I change WHAT each button does from the stalk input? I.e. even if the answer above is "no, you have to duplicate the sony stalk values" (and say I do), can I then change what each stalk value/function DOES on the player? I just want to duplicate the front panel buttons (without screwing up the existing front panel buttons function).

Any insight here would be greatly appreciated. I will share the existing button resistor values.

OK, went out and measured the values of the stock buttons with my DVM.

Left Up: 2.64K
Left C : 164 OHMS (notK)
Left Dn: 0.65K

Right Up: 3.01K
Right C : 52 OHMS
Right Dn: 1.24K

So wondering what the range the A/D converter can accept is? Seems like the two center buttons are the probable problem area. Can anyone comment on whether or not these *might* be acceptable?

Update again: I found some additional docs on the Hijack website (thanks Mark!) and it does seem I can do what I want. I hooked up the buttons to the empeg, and ran Button Disp, and here are the results:

Left Right
U:0x02 U:0x0d
C:0x01 C:0x00
D:0x07 D:0x1e

The range is "a little tight" for three of those buttons, two of which I intended to use for Left and Right arrow. (the centers) The resistors are built into the buttons, I suppose it will be possible to hack (piggyback) some resistors in. But I might try this with the uber tight tolerances and see if I can make it work.

Thanks
Jeff

Edited by jbrinkerhoff (10/04/2008 15:19)

#309056 - 11/04/2008 18:53 Re: Rolling my own "stalk" using stock steering buttons. Q's [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Looks like you're making good progress! Good luck smile