Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#1046 - 21/12/1999 15:57 Radio and Traffic Information
chrisha
new poster

Iīm using the empeg in my car (as probably most people do) and in Austria and Germany (probably in every country) there is a special signal transmitted, when there is traffic information on the radio. Normal radios do have the possibility to interrupt the current audio source if such signal is detected and switch over to the radio so that the traffic information can be heard.

This can be life saving if you are on a highway and there is a driver in the wrong direction.

I didnīt find this feature in the empeg yet. Did I miss something or is this feature planned? I think this is very important for a car radio/audio device.

#1047 - 21/12/1999 16:11 Re: Radio and Traffic Information [Re: chrisha]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
RDS TA (Traffic Announce) is one of the (many) RDS features on the list to be implemented. Recently we've been spending more time working on stabilising the download protocol and getting major functions implemented, such as the equaliser. The rest of the RDS stuff will follow.

By the way, do you often get drivers on the wrong side of the carriageway in Germany?? In the UK, TA is more commonly used to warn about traffic jams, I can't imagine a driver on the wrong side of a British motorway surviving for long enough to get reported on the radio!

Rob

#1048 - 21/12/1999 16:30 Re: Radio and Traffic Information [Re: rob]
chrisha
new poster

Thank you for your reply!

I donīt know how it is in Germany, but in Austria where I live I think we have every day a wrong side driver (sometimes more than one a day) on the radio (not counted the one which do not make it on the radio)!

Some of them are just stupid - I do not understand how they can get on the wrong side and continue - some of them are even more stupid and seem to do this as a kind of sport where they try to reach as many messages on the radio as possible, some of them are self murderer.

It sounds silly, but I do have a bad feeling on the highway in Austria, when I have no traffic information.

I understand that the primary function of the empeg has priority but maybe it is possible to quickly implement a simple quick hack to switch on traffic messages for survival :-) and later on when everything is set and stable other nice complicated RDS features can be added.

The best radios I have seen were able to record messages in memory when the car is parked and when you get back you can recall the last messages which were on the radio - this would be a nice feature for the (far?) future.

#1049 - 26/12/1999 11:54 Re: Radio and Traffic Information [Re: chrisha]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Speaking of wrong side drivers, a joke:

Jozo, a gastarbaiter from Croatia (I am from Croatia, so nobody should be upset) drives along the autobahn, when he hears radio announcement about somebody driving in the whong direction. "Somebody?" - he mutters - "Hundreds of them!"

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue