Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#1550 - 06/02/2000 19:02 New empeg 4 sale
nycxtyper
new poster

Hi

I recieved my 6 gig sometime between November or December
I tried it out on my stereo system and that's about it.
Never installed it into car so right now its just sitting in the closet collecting dust
It's practically brand new, with everything that came in the box
It's the 6 gig green faced one
Would like to sell it for $1000 or B.O
Will ship it FedEx insured
My ebay id is nycxtyper, please check it out flawless feedback
If you are interested in it please email me at [email protected]

#1551 - 07/02/2000 12:32 Re: New empeg 4 sale [Re: nycxtyper]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Just out of interest.. did you not like it very much??

Rob

#1552 - 08/02/2000 02:33 Re: New empeg 4 sale [Re: nycxtyper]
nycxtyper
new poster

I like it very much
i got the unit to install it to my new car but since i didn't get the car
i dont really need it at home, i play my songs on the computer
When i do get my new car , i think i will order another one

#1553 - 08/02/2000 08:46 Re: New empeg 4 sale [Re: nycxtyper]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

From your Ebay profile, you look like a good seller. Why aren't you using Ebay for this sale?

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.

#1554 - 08/02/2000 17:03 Re: New empeg 4 sale [Re: nycxtyper]
funkd101
new poster

I was kinda waiting for the new version due later this spring…But could be interested inthis. Two things I would need help on would be: Can the front color display be switch back to blue and as anyone successfully installed this unit in a 2000 jetta (I would like to keep the radio unit that came with the car – use CD aux or other if possible)

VW jetta is US model (just in case!)

Steeve
[email protected]

#1555 - 08/02/2000 17:23 Re: New empeg 4 sale [Re: funkd101]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

Can the front color display be switch back to blue

It costs $40.00 + $12.00 shipping to purchase a different-colored faceplate for the unit. If you aren't security-paranoid, you can just e-mail Rob your credit card number and he'll ship it right out to you. He was very prompt about getting mine sent out to me when I ordered it.

has anyone successfully installed this unit in a 2000 jetta (I would like to keep the radio unit that came with the car – use CD aux or other if possible)

Is there another opening in the dash for a second DIN-sized unit? If not, you're above and beyond the level of most regular installations and getting into the territory of custom work. It could get pricey if you paid someone to do it for you. Then again, if you replaced the factory radio, you'd need to buy an amplifier and mount it anyway (the Empeg has no internal amplifier), so maybe it'd be a toss-up. For what it's worth: Now that I've got the Empeg installed, I do not miss the previous radio at all. You really don't need to run it off of the AUX on the factory unit- there's nothing wrong with having the Empeg be your main car stereo.

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.

#1556 - 08/02/2000 17:57 Re: New empeg 4 sale [Re: tfabris]
funkd101
new poster

Thanx for the fast reply!

I do have a space left (left there for in-dash CD player) I have yet to mesure the size to know if its DIN sized or not... And I have to verify if aux setup would work (I got enough power off of it for now, maybe later I will look for a amp solution)

#1557 - 08/02/2000 17:58 Re: New empeg 4 sale [Re: tfabris]
funkd101
new poster

Thanx for the fast reply!

I do have a space left (left there for in-dash CD player) I have yet to mesure the size to know if its DIN sized or not... And I have to verify if aux setup would work (I got enough power off of it for now, maybe later I will look for a amp solution)

#1558 - 08/02/2000 18:19 Re: New empeg 4 sale [Re: funkd101]
dmz
journeyman

Loc: Pasadena, California, USA
I have a successful Jetta install (see my post from September). However, I had to buy a factory CD changer, and order several parts, and do lots of custom wiring including a complete teardown and rebuild of the connector block on the Empeg's cage, and other fun stuff... The upshot is, though, that the head unit is fooled into thinking it's talking to a CD changer (because it is), but gets the audio from the empeg (and the CD changer, of course, works through AUX on the empeg - but why would I want to use it? :).

When I get my Mk. II, my empeg cage will be useless to me, and thus useful to some Jetta owner with a Mk. I... :)

-Dan

-----
Daniel M. Zimmerman
Caltech Computer Science
[email protected]
Daniel M. Zimmerman Mk.2 #060000058, 36GB Mk.1 #00101, 10GB