Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#8076 - 17/05/2000 17:27 Emplode & Windows 95
jonski
new poster

Loc: New Zealand
Hi y'all

I've a question regarding the Emplode software. I'm running Win95 OSR2 (4.00.950.B) and I've got USB and ethernet ports on the back of the box.

I know the stated minimum spec is Win98, but will Emplode run in my configuration?

I can't reload my machine with Winblows 98 because it refuses to recognise my tape drive, which is one of the best hardware investments I've made on my machine, and has saved my butt more than once.

I think that if I can't get Emplode running on my 95 box, I'll put my hard drive in a friend's 98 box and drop my entire collection there. This of course means that if I want to rejig the playlists, I'll need to borrow the machine again.

Of course, my box dual-boots to Linux as well (and SCO, but that's another story). What's the story for a Linux version of Emplode?

And a BeOS version?

Cheers
Jon

#8077 - 17/05/2000 18:21 Re: Emplode & Windows 95 [Re: jonski]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I don't know that anybody has been successful in running emplode with Windows 95. The USB support in Win95 is spotty and unreliable at best, and usually won't work at all.

I am surprised that Win98 won't see your tape drive. The area of greatest improvement from Win95 to Win98 is in the handling of peripherals. Even if your tape drive isn't PNP (plug 'n' play) Win98 should see it and ask for the driver disk. Most tape drives Win98 will already have a generic driver in its archives that will work.

You might want to check and see if your tape drive is properly installed -- perhaps a termination problem that doesn't bother Win95 makes your tape drive invisible to Win98. Does your tape drive run from its own card (ISA or PCI, maybe even SCSI?) or does it use the more common approach of piggybacking on the FDD (floppy disk drive) controller? If the latter, termination errors are quite possible.

Of course, anyone who has his own racing yacht... you should be able to afford a whole new computer, never mind upgrading to Win98. Or, more likely, the racing yacht is the reason you can't afford it...

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#8078 - 17/05/2000 20:57 Re: Emplode & Windows 95 - here's a thought! [Re: jonski]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
This just made me think up a very very interesting question. Rob, Hugo, if you're listening, how about this:

As I understand it, the problem with '95 and NT4 was the USB support. NT4 doesn't support USB at all, and 95's support is flaky at best.

But the Mark 2 units will have ethernet! Does that mean that the Mark 2's will synch OK over ethernet under '95 and NT4?

I'm sure that would make a few people happy. Yacht-boy could install a cheap ethernet card with a crossover cable (assuming he doesn't already have one).

How about it, guys?

Tony Fabris (http://www.jps.net/tfabris)
Empeg #144

#8079 - 18/05/2000 04:23 Re: Emplode & Windows 95 - here's a thought! [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
It may well work with Windows 95 over Ethernet - I'll make a note to test this before we ship.

Rob

#8080 - 18/05/2000 04:49 Re: Emplode & Windows 95 - here's a thought! [Re: tfabris]
jonski
new poster

In reply to:

Does that mean that the Mark 2's will synch OK over ethernet under '95 and NT4?

I'm sure that would make a few people happy. Yacht-boy could install a cheap ethernet card with a crossover cable (assuming he doesn't already have one).

Yep, that was pretty much my question. BTW, I won't be yacht-boy much longer, the snow's coming and I'll be getting back to jonski again (Southern Hemisphere, see)

Now here's another thought- I just need to check the power consumption specs of the Empeg, get a suitable size 12V Gel-cell battery, throw it in my backpack and voila! Empeg-on-snow. Can you picture that? Skiing with a remote in hand, chatting to the empeg in my rucksack and hotdogging the powder bowls. Pure heaven.

Cheers
Jon

#8081 - 18/05/2000 04:56 Re: Emplode & Windows 95 [Re: tanstaafl.]
jonski
new poster

In reply to:

Or, more likely, the racing yacht is the reason you can't afford it...

Got it in one!

Also, I've tried all I can think of to get my tape drive running in 98- and I'm no slouch when it comes to hardware and OS's. It just doesn't work, and HP have stopped supporting it. (FWIW, it's a HP Colorado 5Gb IDE Travan drive.) I don't mind, I prefer 95 to all the 98 cutsie stuff anyway. Web view folders! Gag!

Cheers
Jon

#8082 - 18/05/2000 20:01 Re: Emplode & Windows 95 - here's a thought! [Re: jonski]
MRHJr
journeyman

Loc: CA
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you probably wouldn't want to lug around an amplifier, especially tearin' up those moguls!

Mike......................................(working on losing the "stranger" status)
Mk2 #105 60g

#8083 - 18/05/2000 21:00 Re: Emplode & Windows 95 - here's a thought! [Re: jonski]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Now here's another thought- I just need to check the power consumption specs of the Empeg, get a suitable size 12V Gel-cell battery, throw it in my backpack and voila! Empeg-on-snow. Can you picture that? Skiing with a remote in hand, chatting to the empeg in my rucksack and hotdogging the powder bowls. Pure heaven.

I'm actually doing this already.. well.. the first part.. But i'm using a 12V led-acid alarm battery.. It seems to work fine for it...
-mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units

#8084 - 19/05/2000 16:11 Re: Emplode & Windows 95 - here's a thought! [Re: MRHJr]
corby
journeyman

No amp needed for headphone output.

Corby
SN#320,6-Gig Blue

#8085 - 19/05/2000 18:03 Re: Emplode & Windows 95 - here's a thought! [Re: corby]
MRHJr
journeyman

Loc: CA
Hmmph...I wasn't aware it had one, I guess you learn something new every day.

Mike......................................(working on losing the "stranger" status)
Mk2 #105 60g

#8086 - 20/05/2000 00:19 Re: Emplode & Windows 95 - here's a thought! [Re: corby]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
In reply to:

No amp needed for headphone output.

No, although it'd be helpful... I have to boost the EQ to get a decent sound out of the headphones..
-mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units

#8087 - 20/05/2000 03:19 Re: Emplode & Windows 95 [Re: jonski]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
emplode currently works over serial on Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0 provided Internet Explorer 4.0 or later is installed.[1][2]

It is our intention to make it work over TCP/IP on Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0 with IE4+.

USB will continue to be only supported on Windows 98 and Windows 2000.

[1] Hmm, has anyone run emplode on Windows NT 3.51? It might work if IE3 is installed but I haven't really got the time or inclination to try it.

[2] In fact, I develop the software on NT4. I would be using Windows 2000 except Dell haven't managed to ship us our "free upgrades" in the three months since it was launched.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)