Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#8233 - 22/05/2000 01:58 Conntecting to the network
teemcbee
addict

The Mk 2 has a RJ45 10BT Connector.

How is the empeg's behavior if no DHCP-server is available on the net where the empeg is connected to?
Would I have to install a DHCP-server on my NT and then direct connect to the empeg via crossed network cable?
Or is there any way to configure the empeg's IP, GW and SN-Mask ?
Would be cool!

I'll try to download my mp3's direct from CD over the network to the empeg. I wonder if this will work without synchronisation problems.

I read the upgrading guide for the empeg on dmoore's site. As far as I read you have to install the >developer version< of the empeg software.
Rob, do you think it's possible to ship the Mk 2 with the develover version of the software installed on it? Maybe that if we want it then we could say when ordering a unit? Would be great!
If not I think that wouldn't be that big problem.

TeeMcBee

#8234 - 22/05/2000 02:30 Re: Conntecting to the network [Re: teemcbee]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
You don't need DHCP - it will be possible to configure an IP address manually if required.

Rob

#8235 - 22/05/2000 10:12 Re: Conntecting to the network [Re: teemcbee]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'll try to download my mp3's direct from CD over the network to the empeg. I wonder if this will work without synchronisation problems.

Let us know how it goes. Like I said in another thread, CD-ROMs are notorious for having spotty transfer rates. It would probably stress the synch software.

read the upgrading guide for the empeg on dmoore's site. As far as I read you have to install the developer version of the empeg software. Rob, do you think it's possible to ship the Mk 2 with the develover version of the software installed on it?

Don't worry about it. The developer software only takes a minute to install, and once you're done formatting your second hard disk, you can re-install the consumer version of the software just as easily. You wouldn't want the developer software installed by default anyway- it uses more RAM so the hard disk isn't cached as much and it stays spun-up more than usual.

The only reason you need the developer version of the software is so that you can get a Linux command prompt to appear via a terminal program. The consumer software removes even the command prompt (to keep it lightweight). Once you're done doing what you need to do at the command prompt, you can put the consumer version back into place.

Something important to note, though: Dmoore's site is clearly written for the Mk1 Empeg. There may be differences in the procedure for the Mk2. Bear that in mind before you go spelunking into your new Mk2 and breaking the warranty seals.

Tony Fabris (http://www.jps.net/tfabris)
Empeg #144