Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#8128 - 18/05/2000 05:06 mp Shuttle II
electricdreamer
new poster

Below is the URL to the web board for owners of this mp3 player. You have to feel for the poor people. It would seem Xeenon have made a few quid and bailed out, leaving them with a real mess.

I was quite tempted to post the URL for the Empeg to the board, and show them this forum, but I didn't have the heart!

http://www.xeenon.com/xeenonweb/main.htm

James.
No. 14000+

#8129 - 19/05/2000 10:59 Re: mp Shuttle II [Re: electricdreamer]
JeepBastard
enthusiast

Loc: Brooklyn
what do you mean>? they took orders they couldnt fulfill?

Empeg Kicks Ass
S/N 00203
<A HREF="http://www.iretro.com">http://www.iretro.com</A>

#8130 - 19/05/2000 13:55 Re: mp Shuttle II [Re: JeepBastard]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
I made a few glances at the board, it seems that ongoing software development on the MP Shuttle seems to be slowing down. They appear to be using a proprietary OS and MP3 player they all wrote themselves. My guess is that they're now getting bogged down by the enormity of the work they've taken on. The customers are demanding bug fixes and features and they don't appear to have the resources to meet the demand, especially in the price segment they've targeted. So it looks like a lot of unhappy customers.

The unit from what I understand is a box that sits in the trunk like a cd changer, the box is a "mpu" unit with proprietary OS and software. And a hard drive or CD ROM unit of some sort sits in the dash and is wired up to the trunk, along with a keypad. It's like a compact version of the homebrew mp3 units.

Calvin

#8131 - 22/05/2000 05:59 Re: mp Shuttle II [Re: JeepBastard]
Anonymous
Unregistered

They will happily take your order, just don't accept any support at all afterwards.

According to various messages on the support board, they don't respond to users questions or problems using the board or by email, they won't allow people to write their own code for the player, and they have been promised a playlist facility on a monthly basis for about the last 8 months - yet still do not have one.

The have made their money, and are not supporting their product properly. There are many very unhappy customers out there. Contrast this with the support demonstrated by Empeg.

James.

#8132 - 22/05/2000 22:54 Re: mp Shuttle II
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Yep, that is about right. I have one and plan to ebay it when my number comes up for an Empeg. The MP Shuttle has some good points (surprisingly good sound quality for one), but support is non-existant. I have tried five different hard drives in mine and only one of them actually works (the smallest and oldest of course). I was able to get their US distributor to swap the unit for another, but then that unit had the same problem. The US distributor won't do anything else for me and the Korean contacts won't even return my emails.

Oh well, it has done a fairly admirable job of keeping me entertained while waiting for an Empeg.

-Mike