Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#1343 - 22/01/2000 10:07 Interchangable with a ...
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Printer? Saw something interesting last night.. Went to a friends house, and he has an HP deskjet w/ USB.. funny thing is, his power adapter for this printer is an 18v adapter that fits the empeg... All I had to do to hook it up was borrow the printer's USB cable and power cable:)
-m

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units

#1344 - 22/01/2000 13:34 Re: Interchangable with a ... [Re: dionysus]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

Yup, I discovered this myself. There was a pretty long discussion about it on the Technical forum recently.

I'm currently powering the Empeg off of a few different wall-wart power supplies that were meant for other equipment. At the moment, it's playing quite nicely off of a 15v power supply that was meant for a flatbed scanner. In fact, I hardly ever use the scanner, so I'm leaving it unplugged most of the time and powering the Empeg with that supply almost exclusively.

I've also been able to drive it using the 15v power supplies that Altec Lansing makes for their little multimedia speakers. The beauty of this (as I've mentioned elsewhere) is that you don't have to carry the power supply with the Empeg when you want to move it from room to room (or home to office, or whatever).

One word of caution: Test the power supply voltage before you actually plug it in. Just because it says "15v" doesn't mean that's what it puts out. The speaker power supplies I'm using are actually putting out 18v (which Hugo said was OK).

Also, the amperage of the power supply is a consideration. I tried a 15v 450ma supply that was insufficient for the Empeg (it kept rebooting when the display fired up). The 15v 800ma power supplies I tried seem to be OK.

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.

#1345 - 21/06/2000 08:51 Re: Interchangable with a ... [Re: tfabris]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
I have to try to search through the house for a 15v power supply. I saw that they are planning to charge $80 for them.

#1346 - 21/06/2000 09:08 Re: Interchangable with a ... [Re: Terminator]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I saw that they are planning to charge $80 for them.

Where did you see that? I find that highly doubtful.

When I met Hugo, I complimented him on the fact that the power supply that shipped with the Empeg was a nice one with a separate mains cable. I don't like wall-warts because they take up too much space on the power strip, and I was grateful that the default power supply wasn't a wall-wart. But Hugo said that the Mark 2's would ship with a wall-wart. I assume because those are cheaper and easier to source.

In fact, the Mark 2 will run on less voltage than the Mark 1 did, so a smaller and less expensive power supply would suffice. That should both a) make your search for alternate power supplies easier and b) make the power supplies purchased from Empeg less expensive.

#1347 - 21/06/2000 09:35 Re: Interchangable with a ... [Re: tfabris]
Terminator
old hand

I read it on the registration confirmation page. Maybe it was 80 dollars for another docking sled.

#1348 - 21/06/2000 13:37 Re: Interchangable with a ... [Re: Terminator]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Additional AC adapters are $38 - I don't know if the price will come down, but it certainly won't go up.

Additional slide bays are $40.

I can't think of anything that we sell for $80..

Rob

#1349 - 21/06/2000 14:46 Re: Interchangable with a ... [Re: rob]
Kureg

In reply to:

I can't think of anything that we sell for $80..

Tuner for $75 at the moment... isn't that close enough?

Kureg

#1350 - 21/06/2000 17:59 Re: Interchangable with a ... [Re: rob]
Terminator
old hand

I had 80 dollars written down for some reason. Maybe it was the tuner like kureg suggested. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Sean