Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#15384 - 25/08/2000 04:17 Dumb question - importing playlists
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

Is there a way to prebuild playlists & PIN associations, or to import playlists from another MP3 jukebox package? I don't think so from what I have read, but I still have some time to kill in queue, and was hoping that I could get something useful done ahead of time.

Paul G.
R# 15189

#15385 - 25/08/2000 05:18 Re: Dumb question - importing playlists [Re: pgrzelak]
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
regarding prebuilding playlists, if you have a windows directory structure similar to the playlists you want (i.e. directories based on artist and albums), then drag the entire directorry structure into emplode, and it will create playlists for you.

for instance, if you have a directory called "Type O Negative", and within that directory, you have subdirectories named "Slow, Deep, and Hard", "Bloody Kisses", "October Rust", and "World Coming Down", simply dragging the "Type O Negative" folder into emplode will result in a playlist named "Type O Negative" and that playlist will consist 4 playlists of the aforementioned album names, and each album name playlist will contain the tracks that were in their respective directories.

i don't know about generating pin numbers, but this playlist feature saved me ALOT of time. i was expecting to have to create a playlist for each artist and every album, but since i already had my music organized how i wanted at home, i didn't have to create any playlists.

hope this helps,
jeremy

12 gig, green...

#15386 - 25/08/2000 05:43 Re: Dumb question - importing playlists [Re: jstrain]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Greetings!

Excellent! Thanks. That will make my life a lot easier, since the big job will be doing the artist / song structure - all of the other playlists will be based around that.

Paul G.
R# 15189

#15387 - 25/08/2000 09:50 Re: Dumb question - importing playlists [Re: pgrzelak]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Is there a way to prebuild playlists & PIN associations, or to import playlists from another MP3 jukebox package?

Not at the current time, but as Jstrain pointed out, you can accomplish a similar task with Windows folders. Though I'm really starting to think that a playlist import would be a good thing and the Empeg guys should seriously consider adding the feature soon.

I still have some time to kill in queue, and was hoping that I could get something useful done ahead of time.

I have some tips here on that topic.

#15388 - 25/08/2000 10:14 Re: Dumb question - importing playlists [Re: tfabris]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Greetings!

It would be a nice feature, but this seems pretty easy.

As for the ID3 tags, already set. I used Sonic Foundry's Siren with CDDB support to rip everything. I went
through and did a quick cleanup on the tags, and everything seems set. I will do a double-check of the ID3 tags
as I move the files around into a subdirectory structure, but they are mostly done. Also, the file naming is pretty
much artist - album - track number - title, so it should be pretty easy.

I have even installed the emplode (downloaded) and grabbed the help file. I am studying it now. Pity that you
can't start emplode without a player; otherwise I would have already finished this step... I know that this is because
the database is stored on the empeg. Perhaps a local mirror copy for data backup / recovery?

Paul G.
R# 15189
(in queue for a 36GB blue Mk2)

#15389 - 25/08/2000 10:35 Re: Dumb question - importing playlists [Re: tfabris]
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
What do you guys use the PIN feature for?

- Jon

#15390 - 25/08/2000 10:52 Re: Dumb question - importing playlists [Re: jbauer]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

I hope to use it for quick access to specific songs or playlists. For example, I might have a PIN associated with a
very commonly used mixes (to get to them quickly), or to specific songs (to avoid the menus). Keep in mind, this is
based on reading only! I don't know how quick or easy the menus / search functions are in practice while driving.
Just trying to plan ahead. It may be that I won't use them at all, after becoming more familiar with the empeg. But
until I get my hands on one, this is the best I can do...

Paul G.
R# 15189
(in queue for a blue 36GB Mk2)

#15391 - 25/08/2000 13:37 Re: Dumb question - importing playlists [Re: pgrzelak]
trevorp

Loc: Ft Lauderdale, FL
Yep, that's what you use PIN numbers for.

You can jump to a particular song or playlist via PINs. The menus are easy to navigate, however it's much safer to hit [DIRECT OK] [1] [DIRECT OK] to get to Moving Pictures than it is to hit [*] [DNPP] [7] [RIGHT] [RIGHT] [RIGHT] [RIGHT] [DNPP] [RIGHT] [DNPP] [DNPP]. Which is how I am doing it now. I'm sure there's a shorter method, but I haven't learned it yet. I'll probably look at the manual in another couple of months...

-Trevor

-----
Mk 2, Green 12GB 080000349

-----
Mk 2, Green 12GB, Tuner, 2.0b11, 080000349

#15392 - 26/08/2000 06:24 Re: Dumb question - importing playlists [Re: pgrzelak]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Greetings!

Has anyone tried using Windows "shortcuts" (their rip-off of symbolic links) to drag and drop into emplode? Originally, I was just going to build the main artist list, and do the other mixes later due to lack of space. But if the shortcuts work, I can prebuild the entire tree.

Paul G.
R# 15189
(in queue for a blue 36GB Mk2)

#15393 - 26/08/2000 08:36 Re: Dumb question - importing playlists [Re: pgrzelak]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
You mean, filling a folder full of shortcuts to MP3 files, then dropping that folder on Emplode?

Interesting idea. Never tried it. I doubt it would work- shortcuts are .LNK files, and although emplode might accept the files, it wouldn't link to the MP3s.

I'd try it myself right now, but Emplode just went wonky on me (for the first time in a while). I've got some debugging to do...

#15394 - 26/08/2000 17:40 Re: Dumb question - importing playlists [Re: tfabris]
tadzio
journeyman

Loc: Munich. Germany
> You mean, filling a folder full of shortcuts to MP3 files,
> then dropping that folder on Emplode?

Very interesting idea - but unfortunately, doesn't work. I just tried dropping a link to an mp3 into emplode, but it wouldn't accept it. This was on Windows 2000.

Well, was worth a try...

Daniel

---
"My software never has bugs. It just develops random features."